27inch QHD IPS 144HZ vs 4K 27inch IPS

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
Here are the 3 monitors I am looking at:

acer xf270hu
dell p2715q
lg 27ud58-b

I can not go any bigger then 27inch due my Monitor Arm and new desk(hutch messed that up)
No TN or VA based monitors. Only IPS

Current Specs: [email protected] and a 290 Reference based card.

I am leaning towards the Acer due to the fact my old 1440p was 27inch and I could use it without scaling.(before it died) It also has a few features like flicker free PWM, Blue light reduction, and reduced eye strain(I use this for both work, and gaming) plus its 144HZ which IMO trumps 4K and has a decent freesync range(30ish-90). Lastly I can get these at my local Micro Center which means if I need to return it, should be very easy to do in order to get a flawless panel.

If there are is anything else I missed LMK. I am open to suggestions.

i am in the market for a new display as well as i just got myself a wega 56 :D i wonder if there are any 4k 144 hz incoming

i am in the market for a new display as well as i just got myself a wega 56 :D i wonder if there are any 4k 144 hz incoming
Sadly most of these have been delayed quite a bit. And when they do come out it will be expensive from what I have read.

the 290 Ref GPU is not going to do well @4k gaming with modern games and I'd say 1440p is pushing it a bit too but at least you can turn down the eye candy a bit and have a decent experience as a matter of fact you'll be hard pressed to achieve avg 60 fps to take advantage of a 60Hz monitor let alone 144Hz. So it would be best to keep in mind if you want take advantage of 144Hz refresh rate your GPU needs to be able to average 144 FPS in game or you'll be dialing it back to where it can. Free Sync will help smooth out the experience but you'll likely be well below the 144hz to say 60Hz. Honestly you need a GPU upgrade to really take advantage of any of those monitors but hey if you get a good deal you'll be ready for a future upgrade but keep this in mind, even the AMD Vega64 has trouble with most games at 4k above 60hz/60avg fps. If I had a recommendation I'd go with a 1080p free sync monitor for a better fit with your 290. This Dell SE2717H KYKMD ticks all your boxes except resolution which is highly rated and at a great price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the 290 Ref GPU is not going to do well @4k gaming with modern games and I'd say 1440p is pushing it a bit too but at least you can turn down the eye candy a bit and have a decent experience as a matter of fact you'll be hard pressed to achieve avg 60 fps to take advantage of a 60Hz monitor let alone 144Hz. So it would be best to keep in mind if you want take advantage of 144Hz refresh rate your GPU needs to be able to average 144 FPS in game or you'll be dialing it back to where it can. Free Sync will help smooth out the experience but you'll likely be well below the 144hz to say 60Hz. Honestly you need a GPU upgrade to really take advantage of any of those monitors but hey if you get a good deal you'll be ready for a future upgrade but keep this in mind, even the AMD Vega64 has trouble with most games at 4k above 60hz/60avg fps. If I had a recommendation I'd go with a 1080p free sync monitor for a better fit with your 290. This Dell SE2717H KYKMD ticks all your boxes except resolution which is highly rated and at a great price.
1080p is not an option. I will be looking at doing a gpu upgrade next year. Plus not forget desktop usage will benefit from higher refresh rates.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sadly most of these have been delayed quite a bit. And when they do come out it will be expensive from what I have read.

Yup. They've been delayed from June of this year to Q1 of next, and since volume production of the panels hadn't started yet (was supposed to happen in November), additional slippage is possible.

I'm also not sure if any freesync models have been anounced yet. All the ones I recall seeing were GSync.

I am going to use my Trusty Dell 2007WFP for the time being and wait for the next gen of monitors next near. Every model I looked up and one kind of issue or another. Since I am not gaming much atm and mostly use my desktop for Remote work, the 20inch and 1680x1050 should be decent enough. Having it on the monitor arm helps.

For a 27" screen I would say that 4k is too fine, it makes things unreasonably small and isnt nearly as important as 144hz g-sync in my opinion. I faced the same decision and went with 1440p G-sync 165hz Acer monitor and dont regret it at all. 4K is just too many pixels for too small. Plus games these days let you upscale if you really want to crush your graphics performance :D. The problem is with a 60hz screen you are always limited to what you can do, whereas many games youll have headroom to hit 144hz in the future with graphics updates, and the faster screen will let you take advantage of that performance too.

Plus not forget desktop usage will benefit from higher refresh rates.
Desktop usage if it includes much text will benefit much more from 4k than from refresh rate above 60 (30 gives a horrid desktop experience but anything above 60 is diminished return). High refresh rate and 4k are each for different targets until 4k high refresh screens become the norm. 4k makes text crisp, and 27 inch is actually the perfect size for 4k if sitting around 1m away from the monitor as one should. You will use 150 or 175 scaling with it but small fonts will at last be free of the horrid pixelized look of low ppi monitors. Gaming is another story though. There the 4k is overkill so you will most likely let the GPU upscale it until 2-3 years from now where GPUs will become able to handle 4k, and refresh rate will be an actual benefit. So the question is which is the priority desktop use or gaming, and this, only you can answer :)

there have been a lot of monitors of the type you are describing on massdrop recently.
LG Samsung Viotec Nixeus

Back