2700X vs. 3600X

Auer

[H]ard|Gawd
Thinking of putting together a B450 based workstation/gaming rig, Any real world benefit going 3600X vs. 2700X?

The 2700X's are dirt cheap atm.

They average out, more or less. Spend a slight premium to get a 3700x if your on the fence.. A 2700 goes for around $175, and you can find 3600 for around that price as well.. The X is irrelevant, if you can overclock. enable PBO and you essentially have the X processor for free. This is especially true if your using aftermarket cooling. I cool a 3600 with a 2600x Wraith spire with PBO enabled just fine

2700X if you are to use all of its 16 threads, or else 3600 for the same money. Next best thing is 3700X imho as 3600X is a bit of non-product. Very little to offer for $50 more. 3800X exists to allow AMD to beat 9900K is most apps or else it shouldn't exist either.

Reactions: Auer
like this
2700X are cheap but you can find 2700 much cheaper. Big difference with 3600 is TDP and when you get performance from them. 3600 may be marginally better for gaming but not every gaming. Recent games asking for multithreading with many threads will be better on 2700X. Now in gaming the graphic cards counts more than anything. So a 2600 dirt cheap may be just enough and invest the rest in your graphics.

like this
I have a RTX2070 so covered on that front until next gen.

It would be interesting to know if gen 2 now has better memory support with Windows updates and bios updates trying to fix gen 3 .

like this
memory controller on the 3000's are generally better than previous .. so something else to think about

like this
memory controller on the 3000's are generally better than previous .. so something else to think about

Generally?

Try absolutely
Significantly
Night and day
Completely different
(Any other adjective or term here)

I can get over 4000mhz ram without effort on both my 3000 series. 2000 series ok 2999mhz is all your getting.

No generally nothing here folks

Dont mention the fact you get a vastly improved infinity fabric that is unlocked from the cores

You get a significant increase in tech with 7nm

You get 32mb of cache which is absolutely bonkers for 179 dollars
(This alone should blow people's minds but they have no idea what 32mb of cache means for 179 or whatever the price is)

So no generally nothing here

Generally?

Try absolutely
Significantly
Night and day
Completely different
(Any other adjective or term here)

I can get over 4000mhz ram without effort on both my 3000 series. 2000 series ok 2999mhz is all your getting.

No generally nothing here folks

Dont mention the fact you get a vastly improved infinity fabric that is unlocked from the cores

You get a significant increase in tech with 7nm

You get 32mb of cache which is absolutely bonkers for 179 dollars
(This alone should blow people's minds but they have no idea what 32mb of cache means for 179 or whatever the price is)

So no generally nothing here

I assume this means 570 MB's?

Also I'm still not sure how significant the 3k series improvements would be for my use case, Image editing and medium duty gaming.

Lastly, stability with Adobe products is very important. Very.
Only reason I'm straying from a super stable Xeon rig towards AMD is curiosity and price.

The 2k series is very established atm it seems and reliable.

Now, that said, there's this:

Are the Ryzen 3rd generation CPUs good for Lightroom Classic?

Absolutely! The 3rd generation Ryzen processors are terrific for Lightroom Classic and were on average about 20% faster than a similarly priced Intel 9th gen processor. And in some cases - primarily exporting and building smart previews - the Ryzen CPUs get close to twice the performance! You may want to skip over the 3800X since the 3700X performs almost exactly the same, but all the other models are great choices.

Whether you are looking for the best performance per dollar, or best overall, the 3rd generation Ryzen processors are currently it. The only caveat is that for many of the active tasks in Lightroom Classic (scrolling through images, switching between modules, etc.), the Intel 9th gen processors do still hold a slight lead. So, if your workflow involves culling through thousands of images, but only exporting a handful of them, there is an argument to be made for using an Intel 9th gen processor.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

I assume this means 570 MB's?

Also I'm still not sure how significant the 3k series improvements would be for my use case, Image editing and medium duty gaming.

Lastly, stability with Adobe products is very important. Very.
Only reason I'm straying from a super stable Xeon rig towards AMD is curiosity and price.

The 2k series is very established atm it seems and reliable.

Now, that said, there's this:

Are the Ryzen 3rd generation CPUs good for Lightroom Classic?

Absolutely! The 3rd generation Ryzen processors are terrific for Lightroom Classic and were on average about 20% faster than a similarly priced Intel 9th gen processor. And in some cases - primarily exporting and building smart previews - the Ryzen CPUs get close to twice the performance! You may want to skip over the 3800X since the 3700X performs almost exactly the same, but all the other models are great choices.

Whether you are looking for the best performance per dollar, or best overall, the 3rd generation Ryzen processors are currently it. The only caveat is that for many of the active tasks in Lightroom Classic (scrolling through images, switching between modules, etc.), the Intel 9th gen processors do still hold a slight lead. So, if your workflow involves culling through thousands of images, but only exporting a handful of them, there is an argument to be made for using an Intel 9th gen processor.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

For adobe it seems they favor Intel no matter what AMD comes up with. Insert Conspiracy here.

The chip set whether 570,450,470 etc.... doesn't matter for the chips internal functions. Only PCIe 4.0 is it and that has ZERO value in your equation of Adobe performance. With AMD being 99% system on a chip, the only function the external chipset brings is PCIe interface and bridging in some USB, Ethernet, etc....

If youre doing lightroom to the extent that you have to generate web threads to get opinions, I would wait until tomorrow for the NDA on Threadripper to lift. There might be some absolutely compelling reasons to go with the new 3rd Gen 24 core and I wouldnt be surprised if there isn't Adobe Premier benches which should be representative of the whole stack of adobe products roughly.

Just be wary of fan boy'itis. Even though I am heavily in favor of AMD right now, I absolutely miss my 7820x skylake X chip. It had AVX512 which you cant get anywhere except Xeon and X series desktop Intel stuff. I have no idea if Adobe supports AVX512 but if it does then you might want to get an x299 based platform instead.

I've chimed in enough. Other people should give their opinions so you have a well rounded base to make a decision off of.

Last edited:
like this
For adobe it seems they favor Intel no matter what AMD comes up with. Insert Conspiracy here.

The chip set whether 570,450,470 etc.... doesn't matter for the chips internal functions. Only PCIe 4.0 is it and that has ZERO value in your equation of Adobe performance. With AMD being 99% system on a chip, the only function the external chipset brings is PCIe interface and bridging in some USB, Ethernet, etc....

If youre doing lightroom to the extent that you have to generate web threads to get opinions, I would wait until tomorrow for the NDA on Threadripper to lift. There might be some absolutely compelling reasons to go with the new 3rd Gen 24 core and I wouldnt be surprised if there isn't Adobe Premier benches which should be representative of the whole stack of adobe products roughly.

Just be wary of fan boy'itis. Even though I am heavily in favor of AMD right now, I absolutely miss my 7820x skylake X chip. It had AVX512 which you cant get anywhere except Xeon and X series desktop Intel stuff. I have no idea if Adobe supports AVX512 but if it does then you might want to get an x299 based platform instead.

I've chimed in enough. Other people should give their opinions so you have a well rounded base to make a decision off of.

Thanks man.

Plan was to run something alongside my current aged but stable Xeon system. As I said i'm curious and the price is right.

Photography pays my bills, I have a emergency laptop that I can use if other things don't work and a still very functional but slow (by todays standards) Power Mac rig.

But the Xeon Dell T3600 has been very reliable.

So an X370 chipset will be able to overclock the RAM on a 3000 series just fine? I'm only asking because I have a new ASUS Prime-Pro X370 sitting here that I was going to use with a 3600. I have a Micro Center nearby that I'm going to get the 3600 at, and "can" get $30 off a motherboard. So, sell the X370 I have and get something newer, if it would be worthwhile. I will be using Ballistix 3200 CL16 2x8GB for the RAM. Thanks!

So an X370 chipset will be able to overclock the RAM on a 3000 series just fine? I'm only asking because I have a new ASUS Prime-Pro X370 sitting here that I was going to use with a 3600. I have a Micro Center nearby that I'm going to get the 3600 at, and "can" get $30 off a motherboard. So, sell the X370 I have and get something newer, if it would be worthwhile. I will be using Ballistix 3200 CL16 2x8GB for the RAM. Thanks!

I cant answer that. The 300 series chipsets are not officially supported. The 400 and 500 are fully supported for Ryzen 3000.

I'm guessing your mileage may vary with x370. I'd ask around or search the web for evidence of ram support on the x370. However the internal memory controller is internal. It's on the CPU io die under the heat spreader so essentially the speed and quality of your ram OC should be relegated to the capabilities of your CPU IMC and not chipset. I would significantly doubt the x370 keeps your ram from OCing within the capability of the ryzen 3000 cpu. This is because ram bus lines are directly routed and pinned to the CPU and not the chipset. Several hundred pins on a CPU is infact ram lanes.

Motherboard build quality plays a part in being able to overclock anything .. but the memory controller is on the CPU so that's the biggest part of the equation. I've read a ton of threads of peeps running 3000 series chips on 300 series mobo's ..

I run an ASRock x470 and got better memory performance going from a 2700x to a 3700x and able to run 4 x 8GB PC3200 @ 3200 instead of only PC3000.. My wife is on an ASUS Prime B350 and is now able to run 4 x 8GB sticks of PC3200 @ 3200 going from 2200g to a 3400g .. my daughter runs an ASRock B350 Gaming ITX/ac and I had to dial back her 2 x 16GB PC3000 sticks to PC2666 to be stable going from a 2200g to my old 2700x .. so the memory controller in my specific 2700x is a bit pickier with ram and ram configurations as I don't run anything on the QVC list

Might have to take another look at the 3K chips now after reading up on the memory..things..

2700X if you are to use all of its 16 threads, or else 3600 for the same money. Next best thing is 3700X imho as 3600X is a bit of non-product. Very little to offer for $50 more. 3800X exists to allow AMD to beat 9900K is most apps or else it shouldn't exist either.
2700 are cheaper than 2700X OC quite the same but are better for a solid build without any future trouble. 3600 is more expensive, 3700X is great but still only 8 core and with $150 more you get and 3900X. So there it is : get a 3900X or a 2700. It's a matter of choice.

2700 are cheaper than 2700X OC quite the same but are better for a solid build without any future trouble. 3600 is more expensive, 3700X is great but still only 8 core and with $150 more you get and 3900X. So there it is : get a 3900X or a 2700. It's a matter of choice.

A 3600 can be had for $180 pretty much any day of the week and $175 pretty regularly, and a 2700 is $175 except Microcenter.

like this
A 3600 can be had for $180 pretty much any day of the week and $175 pretty regularly, and a 2700 is $175 except Microcenter.

Really have no excuse not to with prices like this.

I almost did the same microcenter deal but found this to be cheaper.
https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-5-3600-175-74-with-code-pdeals4u-newegg-on-ebay.1988361/

like this
They average out, more or less. Spend a slight premium to get a 3700x if your on the fence.. A 2700 goes for around $175, and you can find 3600 for around that price as well.. The X is irrelevant, if you can overclock. enable PBO and you essentially have the X processor for free. This is especially true if your using aftermarket cooling. I cool a 3600 with a 2600x Wraith spire with PBO enabled just fine

Don't you need the "X" for PBO? I could not enable it on my 2600 (non x)

If you're buying retail, the 3900X is usually $200 more than the 3700X. The 3700X can be had under $300 ($285 is the lowest I've seen), and $499 is the lowest I've seen the 3900X. Also, factoring in things like sales tax, etc., you can easily end up "at least" $200 more expensive.

like this
What would be the point though? The 3700X is already a 65W part. Maybe slightly lower boost speeds?

That would work, maybe lower binning etc..?

Maybe it would eat up too much of the 3600X sales tho, with more cores for almost same $$$

Motherboard build quality plays a part in being able to overclock anything .. but the memory controller is on the CPU so that's the biggest part of the equation. I've read a ton of threads of peeps running 3000 series chips on 300 series mobo's ..

I run an ASRock x470 and got better memory performance going from a 2700x to a 3700x and able to run 4 x 8GB PC3200 @ 3200 instead of only PC3000.. My wife is on an ASUS Prime B350 and is now able to run 4 x 8GB sticks of PC3200 @ 3200 going from 2200g to a 3400g .. my daughter runs an ASRock B350 Gaming ITX/ac and I had to dial back her 2 x 16GB PC3000 sticks to PC2666 to be stable going from a 2200g to my old 2700x .. so the memory controller in my specific 2700x is a bit pickier with ram and ram configurations as I don't run anything on the QVC list

This. The MC on the CPU is the big contributor here. Much more than the MB. When I had my 1700 in my b350 Pro4, RAM topped out at 2933. Same mobo, bios 6.0 and I'm running at 3733 with my 3700x, completely stable.

like this
Back