2700x GTX1080 random lag issue

Ruddys

Weaksauce
Hi.

Hoping once again that the members of this forum will be able to help me out to solve friends issue.
The issue is that no matter what game or settings he gets random lag every 2-20mins even fps is still high.

This issue has been happening nearly 6 months now and since he lives in the different country nothing more withing team viewer type of help I cant offer.At this point part by part he has built a second system by now trying to fix the issue.So I hardly doubt that it could be a hardware.He changed PSU,Motherboard/Ram/HDD/SDD /CPU/GPU in other words the whole system.

So far things we did try.
*Using older version of windows 10 1079
*Disabling Control Flow Guard
*Using all possible power plan settings
*Re-seating and re-plugin every piece of hardware
*Tried every BIOS version
*Disabling SMT
*Disabled most of windows services and background apps.
*Tried installing games on SSD
*Plugin the system in different apartment with different power cable.
*Passed all Stress tests like prime 95/Furmark/3Dmark Valley benchmark and fire strike score was withing limits if not better
*Banging my head against the wall ( that was more for my own purposes of running out of ideas)

At this 6 month period there could be even something I missed to mention in the list.As I did my best to help him out.

Things to take a notice of is that he is new in PC gaming and been playing PlayStation for most of his life and once you see 100fps its hard to go back to 30fps.As well he does not have much knowledge about PC,s or Internet .But even so he did put all parts together on his own.

I have not owned AMD system for more than a decade so maybe there is something I do not know .A Bios Setting or some tweak.

My apologies for such long topic but better more details than not enough.

As well below is the video of the issue skip to 1.00-1.20 to see the issue more directly.And apologies for not shortening the video or for the low quality,

System Specs
Ryzen 2700x @ Stock
16gb 2x8gb vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz
GTX 1080 Evga @ Stock
Asus x370-F Strix
Evga 850+G 8502 PSU
Samsung EVO 960 M.2 256GB
2TB Seagate HDD

Much appreciated for for any type of help and ideas or at least explaining why there is such an issue

Last edited:
Does it lag only in game or even in other apps or desktop?

Has he monitored temps while playing? CPU cooler on and TIM good? Some new people putting together PCs usually mess up the CPU / TIM install.

Also how's the case fan / air flow?

Lag is present only while gaming as far I know.
He has Sahara p75 PC case with 6 intake and 2 exhaust fans.
For CPU Cooler he has Noctua cooler.Under stress test CPU never reaches over 65c and GTX 1080 around 70c under longer game session.
When he installed CPU I did ask him to send picture before every move to make sure he does not mess up.

Have task manager open while gaming. I suspect something may be requesting processor time.

Will give it a try this evening once he finish his work and will update if we find anything ,

Could it be that virtual memory/page file is set to something silly ?

Is ram installed as dual channel ( slots A2 and B2 )?? Also, what kind of SSD for the m.2 slot (SATA or nvme)...

Ram is installed on dual channel and NVME SSD.

He did not check task manager yet but a small update.He mentioned that the Lag happens mostly in start and when something intensive happens on the screen like explosions in Battlefield 5.
Will check the page file because that was left on default and was not touched.

Okay another update.
So this he made few Screen Shots when the fps drop happened.
Only thing I did notice is that GPU usage drops to zero
newww.png Untitled.png Untitlednew.png

Its his second gtx 1080 he tried both of them with same issue.atm trying to find all info on net about gpu dropping to 0

Its his second gtx 1080 he tried both of them with same issue.atm trying to find all info on net about gpu dropping to 0

Could be sound related. Is he using on board sound, dedicated sound card, or usb headphones? He can try disabling all sound hardware (just for testing) to find out of it has any effect. Also asus's soundfx on board sound tends to install addition software that could be the causing the problem.. also ensure he has the most recent sound drivers installed.

Also, disable/close TeamViewer when gaming as it has been known to cause random problems with games. He may need to uninstall it, vs just disable it, as it installs a hook driver for the display. In those screen shots, it shows it using cpu cycle twice, just below BFV which means it is doing something during gaming, and it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
if what nwr suggested doesn't work, try having him set the ram to default instead of XMP and see if it still has the lagging issue, looks really similar to the problems i was seeing with my ram which i was forced to raise the voltage from 1.35 to 1.375v to run DDR4 3000 16CL stable.

Okay guess the final update.
1st of all thanks everyone for taking time to help out with this forever lasting issue.
Increasing RAM voltage to 1.385v solved the issue.
By description of a friend 'games run buttery smooth like never before'

if what nwr suggested doesn't work, try having him set the ram to default instead of XMP and see if it still has the lagging issue, looks really similar to the problems i was seeing with my ram which i was forced to raise the voltage from 1.35 to 1.375v to run DDR4 3000 16CL stable.

Great suggestion, You Nailed It!!!

Last edited:
Back