2700X Build [now 3600(?)]

Westwood

[H]F Junkie
Bear with me. I understand like 40% of building a PC.

My 3470 is well past its prime. Served me well since 2012. You guys were the ones that got it sorted for me, and I thank you for that.

My hardcore gaming days are behind me. Right now its really just Path of Exile. Maybe some Farcry 5 on 1080p @ 60hz.

Wife and I share the computer, so its generally about 40 open tabs, a video of some sort streaming, Rainmeter, etc. Just the typical household crap. I try to log into PoE for a couple hours a night after kiddo goes to bed.

Already have:

MSI 1060 6GB

SeaSonic X-1250

SDD drives

Considered Purchases:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX

ASUS Prime X470-Pro AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW)

CORSAIR Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case, CC-9011023-WW

Then Win10, but I'm hoping to score some type of code here. Not entirely sure how any of that works. Honestly, I think I'm on Win7 from an XP upgrade, haha.

Amazon prices and NewEgg seem fairly comparable. Looks about $630 in total.

This looking ok?

Thanks for reading.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would seriously recommend swapping that 2700X with a new R5 3600. The IPC increase over additional core-count will be more beneficial to your needs.

(bearing in mind that motherboard will most likely require a BIOS flash)

The rest looks solid enough.

I would seriously recommend swapping that 2700X with a new R5 3600. The IPC increase over additional core-count will be more beneficial to your needs.

(bearing in mind that motherboard will most likely require a BIOS flash)

The rest looks solid enough.

Eh, the X570 boards are a bit of a price jump over the difference in performance.

I'll recheck over the 3000 series though.

I would suggest looking around for a used X470 board that's already been flashed.

- That's what I did anyways.

Eh, the X570 boards are a bit of a price jump over the difference in performance.

I'll recheck over the 3000 series though.

I'd suggest something like the 3600 + MSI B450 Tomahawk. It's very easy to flash the BIOS with a USB drive preinstall....and I think it's cheaper than what you're actually proposing.

I'd suggest something like the 3600 + MSI B450 Tomahawk. It's very easy to flash the BIOS with a USB drive preinstall....and I think it's cheaper than what you're actually proposing.
"X" comes with a cooler, correct? Or has that changed in the 3000 series? And "X" means I can OC it? I cold do without the ability to OC, but it would be a neat option to have.

*starts stroking beard*

Hrm. The 3600/B450 setup is about $50 less too.

Flashing BIOS with USB. Sounds petty, but that is something I've never really dubbed with. That falls into the 60% what-the-hell-am-I-doing category.

Edit:

So a 3600 with X570 board is just under $600. The 2700X with an X470 is $630.

wow. 3600 does seem like the better option here.

Last edited:
No-no heh

The non-X variant includes a cooler and can still be overclocked.

Keep mulling that 3600/B450 combo - it sounds like your best bet.

yep, I concur.

IF you are gonna get the newest AMD board/Chipset, get a 3rd gen processor.

Otherwise, get an older (cheaper) 2nd gen board

And you are gonna neede much much more than 500 gigs.

I have an 500 850sammy, a 2 tb hybrid, and 2 stone age 500 gigs.

3.5 tb space(if my math is right)

And I never, NEVER thought i would fill it.......I did

yep, I concur.

IF you are gonna get the newest AMD board/Chipset, get a 3rd gen processor.

Otherwise, get an older (cheaper) 2nd gen board

And you are gonna neede much much more than 500 gigs.

I have an 500 850sammy, a 2 tb hybrid, and 2 stone age 500 gigs.

3.5 tb space(if my math is right)

And I never, NEVER thought i would fill it.......I did
Oh, I have other drives from my current system that I'll be using. Should have listed that in my OP. 1TB of SSD and 3TB on Caviar (?) drives. 4TB total.

yNB9Iaz.png

Ordered. Now just got find someone on here that has a Win10 key thing. My understanding I throw something on a USB and boot it from there.

Should be a solid upgrade from my 3470. Looking forward to building a PC again. Been almost a decade.

Figured I'd swing in here with a short update.

All works. Go it done last night. Small note, but building my AR took half the time, haha. Chipsets are all updated, BIOS seems good, now its just setting up programs and all. Wasn't able to throw in Farcry 5 or anything. Working on getting Rainmeter back the way it was too is a little chore.

I dig that Meshify case. Everything has a spot. Looks good.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back