2700K vs 3700K IGP

encode

Weaksauce
Hi all!

I have a small rig with 2700K (H80 with thick Panaflo fan, P8Z77-I MoBo and 2133 G.Skill Ares RAM). I realized that I'm not a gamer, so I sold out my GTX570 and Radeon HD 6970. I'm using my PC mostly for programming with some heavy CPU tasks like brute-force optimizations and as an HTPC - to watch movies.

Currently My CPU is at about 5.3 GHz with HT enabled. With no HT the clocks are even higher.
I do overclock IGP as well. I've got pretty high 3D Mark Vantage scores for that kind of hardware - P3856
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/4131073
And this looks pretty close to that officials say about 3770K with no overclock.

I'm using a large 27" monitor with Quad HD resolution (2560x1440), my MoBo supports it via DisplayPort.

I'm thimking to move to 3770K. The only reason is just to have a slightly more powerful IGP to ocasionally play oldschool games like Unreal Tournament 3 and such at full resolution. Current overclocked IGP not really handles UT3 at 2560x1440...

Can someone provide the REAL results of max overclocked 3770K at 3DMark Vantage?

Worth it? Money is not an issue.

Last edited:
Probably not. Take the money you'd drop on the 3770K and get yourself another GPU. Even if it's a low-mid to mid tier GPU, it'll still be better for your old school games than any IGP.

The reason not to use descrete GPU is to save some space. I use SUGO SG08 - ITX case, and with no GPU I have better cooling. Notable better. And since I need no major GPU power, IGP looks quite adequate.

Then go for it. I've read a few reviews showing the HD4000 being 200% faster in some applications, with a median of about 45-65% faster than the HD3000. OTOH, there are reviews showing only around a 5% median gain between HD3000 and HD4000.

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

Review 4

[H] Review

[H] IB Review Round-Up

That should get you started. :D

Thanks a lot!
The thing that confuse me - in first review, guys are saying that 3770K's 3D Mark Vantage score is 3242. That is notable lower compared to my current results. WTF?

Thanks a lot!
The thing that confuse me - in first review, guys are saying that 3770K's 3D Mark Vantage score is 3242. That is notable lower compared to my current results. WTF?

I've seen a lot of reviews of the hd4000 where reviewers do not max out the ram usage by the IGPU in the bios. I know for me D3 went from unplayable to "fine" just switching it from auto to 1gb.

Thanks a lot!

Is the CPU in the review overclocked?

CPU speed can make a huge difference, even with just the GPU score.

Looks like CPU in review was not overclocked. My is heavily overclocked, but should 3770K have notable higher IGP performance compared to my 2700K? If we can overclock 2600K/2700K IGP and get performance on par with 3770K...

It is highly unlikely you will be able to get an Ivy Bridge part (3770K) anywhere near 5.3GHz so keep that in mind. If the CPU performance matters to you.

It is highly unlikely you will be able to get an Ivy Bridge part (3770K) anywhere near 5.3GHz so keep that in mind. If the CPU performance matters to you.

This. I'd count on a 4.5GHz OC which will be roughly equivalent to 4.8GHz on a 2700K in terms of CPU performance.

The reason not to use descrete GPU is to save some space. I use SUGO SG08 - ITX case, and with no GPU I have better cooling. Notable better. And since I need no major GPU power, IGP looks quite adequate.

How about you get a low-power card like the GT 640, which gives 6670-level performance while using only around 40w at load?

It should perform 2 to 2.5 times faster than the HD 4000 IGP.

Last edited:
Yeah I also think you should still get a dedicated card.
Your resolution seems extremely high (2560x1440) for a Intel HD4000 IGP even if you are only playing older games.
Also with a watercooled CPU I can't imagine a low end GPU hurting cooling too bad. A low profile card may help as well.

This thread is a few months old, but has some good info about the performance of the HD4000.

Since I missed the part that you game at 1440p, I'm now going to also say yes to a dedicated GPU. Even if 's something along the lines of a GT440-DDR5 or HD 6670-DDR5...or anything quicker, it'll be worlds faster than the HD4000 IGP, and you won't have to give up your 2700K with such an outstanding overclock.

6670-DDR5

What are your thoughts so far?

Now I see clearly no reason to get 3770K. Checking out some low-end discrete graphics cards - and I'm really curious about upcoming GTX660. Radeon HD 7750 looks great as well.

So anyways, check out some pictures of my rig, and see why I so concerned about to leave PCI slot empty.

In addition, I improved score at 3DMark Vantage - P3884:
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/4183418

And rechecked Unreal Tournament 3 performance with max settings:
720p - 35-60+ fps
1080p - 18-31 fps
1440p - 10-22 fps

Actually I've found the framerate at 1440p is really close to "playable"

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:D

If I was in your shoes I'd find any card with higher performance and squeeze it in there ;) If your light gaming and HTPC you can get away with less cooling for GPU anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JzSeAk14s
Here is a 640GT video I found on youtube with a 2700k stock you could drop your speed to stock and at least compare numbers. Guy recommends a 7750 over the 640 though.

You might want to also re-evaluate the small box and its limitations vs a bigger case and its pros.

For a long time I was with Gainward GTX570 GoldenSample, and later with Sapphire Radeon HD6970. Both cards were like toasters, even with no gaming at all. Extra noise, extra heat - I even removed chassis' top cover for better ventilation. Yes, these cards, especially Radeon, produce lots of heat even under Web browsing. And I asked myself - why I need these?
CPU performance is the goal for me - to optimize even small thing I need a few days of optimizer running. Previously I ran the optimizer for weeks. So this PC is just a programming machine that helps make money. I'm not with LGA2011 since single-core performance is the most important - my optimizer is single threaded and cannot be implementhed as multithreaded. With the iPad I even stopped using PC for mail or web browsing. Anyway, just some thoughts...

Both cards were like toasters, even with no gaming at all. Extra noise, extra heat - I even removed chassis' top cover for better ventilation. Yes, these cards, especially Radeon, produce lots of heat even under Web browsing. And I asked myself - why I need these?

That happens, when you keep stock fan profile, aka 55c at 30% fan speed...if you would increase to 40% fan speed room temps would drop significant, cause card would go from like 50/55c>40c, which would result in alot cooler room.

For a long time I was with Gainward GTX570 GoldenSample, and later with Sapphire Radeon HD6970. Both cards were like toasters, even with no gaming at all. Extra noise, extra heat - I even removed chassis' top cover for better ventilation. Yes, these cards, especially Radeon, produce lots of heat even under Web browsing. And I asked myself - why I need these?
CPU performance is the goal for me - to optimize even small thing I need a few days of optimizer running. Previously I ran the optimizer for weeks. So this PC is just a programming machine that helps make money. I'm not with LGA2011 since single-core performance is the most important - my optimizer is single threaded and cannot be implementhed as multithreaded. With the iPad I even stopped using PC for mail or web browsing. Anyway, just some thoughts...

Sorry I'm a bit confused, if you are using your computer for work/development, why on earth constrain yourself with a tiny case? Get an ATX sized case with a bunch of slow 120mm fans, more performance and quiet/less heat.

My PC sits in living room - the smaller the better, especially if the performance is not really compromized. Current performance results is a living proof of words above. So, actually it's all-in-one box - for movies, music, gaming (NES, NEOGEO, classic games) and programming. I think ITX is the future. As to ATX, these days we need no such number if PCI/extension slots - all stuff built-in, LAN, Sound Card, WiFi, etc. MoBo+CPU = nearly complete PC.
:rolleyes:

buy a relatively cheap discreet gpu, maybe a gtx 560. that'll provide all the power you need for a lower price

BTW, new chipset strikes.

I've tested same CPU with Z68,H67 and Z77,H77. With new chipsets I've managed a higher stable IGP overclock and even with slow 1,333 MHz memory achieved results way much better than with Z68 and 2,133 MHz memory.

:eek:

Back