27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 impressions

AFAIK, IPS and PLS are two different tech used in monitors by two different groups of manufactures, and I've heard that PLS is better than IPS\

though sellers claim that x-star and Qnix are the same monitor, but I still see from OCN's statistic thread that more people choose Qnix over x-Star, don't know why.

I also pull the trigger on one QNIX 27", and just checked on ebay, it's on its way:D

Well I believe both the QNIX and X-STAR are the same monitor now after reading a few pages on this thread.

And yes I saw the Samsung PLS monitor first hand (Samsung S27A850D) and it did look better than the IPS monitors next to it.

I tried a PLS once. The viewing angles were a little better than IPS. Beyond that nothing else seemed different. They should just start releasing 100hz PLS if the panels can reach that easily.

Thanks for the information. And yes I did hear that PLS is a more advanced variant of IPS.

previous was a 24" monitor. This honestly doesn't feel like it's much bigger at all, which is nice since I sit only about 3' from the monitor at the furthest. The sharpness, brightness, clarity, and color saturation are the real standout items. By chance, you near Tucson? I could always show you first hand.

I actually made my decision and bought it from BCC today!

Ordered the QNIX QX2710 Evolution II. Should be arriving early next week!

Well count me in, just ordered a Qnix Evo II too this morning. Can't wait, I am really not picky for monitor problems and bad pixel. The current LCD monitor I have right now is a lg pos , really bad color faded.. I used to be a maniac but then I got older and didn't give crap lol.

Next.. Gtx 780...lol

Hi just got the QNIX 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor how far should i be sitting away from it?

Depend, normal sit for a PC is 2-3 feet. Btw the pixel density of a 27 1440p is higher than 23 at 1080 so cab keep the same sit distance and have smaller perceive pixel

Any quick link for how to proceed for oc of this monitor, there's already 39 pages in this thread lol

Any quick link for how to proceed for oc of this monitor, there's already 39 pages in this thread lol
It's really quite simple though it depends on which GPU you have.

For nVidia, you can do it from within the nV Control Panel as follows:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Navigate to Display > Change Resolution > Customize.
  3. Check Enable resolutions not exposed by the display.
  4. Click Create Custom Resolution...
  5. Change value in Refresh rate (Hz) input box. (96 - 120)
  6. Click Test.
  7. If it passes, the monitor will show the normal output and ask if you want to save the custom resolution (I did have it say it passed 144Hz but it never saved it, so I wouldn't always rely on if it "passes" or not).
  8. Back under Change Resolution, make sure you select the new custom resolution and that the Refresh Rate in the drop down matches the refresh rate you just added.
For AMD, you need to use something like ToastyX's Custom Resolution Utility.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/31526-overclocking-your-monitor-refresh-rate-amd-gpus/

That's all there is to it really. My X-Star went straight to 120Hz without problems. Though, I usually just use 96Hz.

It's really quite simple though it depends on which GPU you have.

For nVidia, you can do it from within the nV Control Panel as follows:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Navigate to Display > Change Resolution > Customize.
  3. Check Enable resolutions not exposed by the display.
  4. Click Create Custom Resolution...
  5. Change value in Refresh rate (Hz) input box. (96 - 120)
  6. Click Test.
  7. If it passes, the monitor will show the normal output and ask if you want to save the custom resolution (I did have it say it passed 144Hz but it never saved it, so I wouldn't always rely on if it "passes" or not).
  8. Back under Change Resolution, make sure you select the new custom resolution and that the Refresh Rate in the drop down matches the refresh rate you just added.
For AMD, you need to use something like ToastyX's Custom Resolution Utility.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/31526-overclocking-your-monitor-refresh-rate-amd-gpus/

That's all there is to it really. My X-Star went straight to 120Hz without problems. Though, I usually just use 96Hz.

Of thanks alot, simple enought (on Nvidia here)!

Right, so I ordered the X-STAR from dreamseller. I noted the warning about type-c korean plugs, but some quick research led me to believe I could simply swap out the cord for a typical PSU cable.
Is that indeed the case, or I will I need some kind of additional transformer?

Right, so I ordered the X-STAR from dreamseller. I noted the warning about type-c korean plugs, but some quick research led me to believe I could simply swap out the cord for a typical PSU cable.
Is that indeed the case, or I will I need some kind of additional transformer?

I believe it comes with a 2 prong adapter so it can plug into a wall outlet.

I believe it comes with a 2 prong adapter so it can plug into a wall outlet.
Well as long as it'll accept my local voltage there should be nothing to worry about. I have a great deal of spare cables.

Well as long as it'll accept my local voltage there should be nothing to worry about. I have a great deal of spare cables.
Having just received my X-Star from the same seller, I can confirm that all you need is a regular computer power cable and you are set.

I just ordered one of these at $280. This was a good buy, right?

Yes I'm sure it is. Mine is arriving very soon. Will report back in a couple of days!

Can't wait to experience 1440p PLS image quality and 120Hz responsiveness.

Ordering one soon, can't wait for some real nice colors :)

do people get the matte or glossy?

Depand on you're preference , I prefer matte because you don't see reflection when there's too much light

Mine just shipped this morning, will probably have it by Tuesday

I went with the matte because my room can get quite sunny during the day.

There is almost no difference in image quality between matte and glossy.

Just don't get a tempered glass version. I heard tempered glass variants are awful when it comes to black levels.

Well, They shipped my screen Thursday night and i've received it yesterday. Had charge of 30$ (that was expected).

The screen is truly beautiful and the colors are amazing. Get 96hz no problems. It have a little blb on the bottom center, nothing too crazy, might try to the the blb fix some weekend.

Other than that, it's amazing. Now i need a new videocard LOL! :)

I received mine today. Amazon said estimated delivery was 3 weeks, got it in a few business days. Which I don't understand, since I didn't pay for shipping and it came from Korea.

It's running 96Hz out of the box, no dead pixels, and virtually no blacklight bleed. No dead pixels is (obviously) awesome, but I'm really surprised I have almost no BLB. In the videos I saw it looked fairly severe, but mine has basically none. There is a tiny, tiny amount in the top left corner that I can only see with all the lights out. Definitely not enough to make me pop it open to fix it, since I always have lights on.

I was ready for a dead pixel and some BLB, but I lucked out hard and received a great one.

I received mine today as well. I have an Apple Cinema Display and a BenQ X2420T for comparison.

Firstly want to say that the QNIX QX2710 is the best monitor I've seen as far as image quality is concerned. It is a matte display with a PLS panel (sourced from Samsung which is the only manufacturer of PLS displays).

I would say the image quality is very similar to the ACD however I find that the QNIX QX2710 has slightly better contrast.

Both the QNIX QX2710 and the ACD absolutely thrash the BenQ X2420T in terms of image quality and color reproduction which is understandable since the BenQ is not an IPS panel AFAIK.

I have yet to overclock this monitor but I will report back with my results. Most people I've spoken to have successfully overclocked the QNIX QX2710 past 90Hz with no frame skipping so I'm confident that I will reach at least 100Hz.

The ones from eBay are the same, free shipping, must be one of those seller that sell on amazon too

I am looking into these overclockable 1440p monitors, what is the general consensus between this QNIX and a Overlord Tempest OC?http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors/products/tempest-x270oc-glossy

The Tempest is more expensive so if the QNIX is just as good in terms of picture quality, response time, input lag, refresh rate etc I'd probably go for it.

I just wish I had one to compare to my current Samsung S27A750D, the best gaming LCD I have ever used. I just wish it was higher resolution, and I think with two 290's I now have the GPU power to push 1440p to 90+FPS in most games. I still worry that these IPS panels are going to have more noticeable blur and worse input lag than my Sammy...

Last edited:
I've got an x-star out for delivery right now..keeping my fingers crossed for no issues! Going to use it on my hackintosh at home. I've been using dual 20" dell 2007fp's for like 5-6 years now, and decided that I wanted a 27" after seeing a coworkers new 27" Imac

Hm.. no bueno so far on machines here at work. On my pc, I get nothing but a blue blinking led on one videocard, and the other card (a pos) makes it display a bunch of lines

If I plug it into a computer with a dp to dvi connector (non active) it goes through the whole test pattern cycle (screen looks great, no dead pixels that I can see)

On a dell laptop in a docking station, it BSOD's with BAD_POOL_HEADER as soon as I plug the dvi cord in.

I wonder what it'll do when I get it home :(

Damn, I was sorta going to base my decision on your experience cause I saw your post and I've been thinking about it.

Are you sure you're using dual-link DVI cables?

Actually nevermind! false alarm.. It just didn't like the quad monitor and dual monitor video cards in my machine at work. It works great so far on my hackintosh with a cheapy Nvidia 640GT since it's got a dedicated DVI-D dual link port, and not anything analog

I will say that the stand is comical, as everyone else says, and the bezel is a bit cheapy, but the screen is vibrant, and I have what appears to be zero dead pixels

Actually nevermind! false alarm.. It just didn't like the quad monitor and dual monitor video cards in my machine at work. It works great so far on my hackintosh with a cheapy Nvidia 640GT since it's got a dedicated DVI-D dual link port, and not anything analog

I will say that the stand is comical, as everyone else says, and the bezel is a bit cheapy, but the screen is vibrant, and I have what appears to be zero dead pixels

You can find guides to reinforce the bezel , its a pain in the ass but it works. Here a video guide in fact if you feel brave enough (it only shows how to dismantle the monitor , you'll have to search for recommendations on how to reinforce it) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0EMmNmvFcAA#t=263s

As for the stand I recommend : http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5400&seq=1&format=2

Nice and sturdy and cheap.

These monitors have accurate colors, so, if you want over-saturated and inaccurate (vibrant) colors like the wide gamut Dell 3014 has these monitors are not for you. For everyone else these are vastly superior since they have far less glow vs. any 30" when viewed from normal viewing distances (2-3ft), don't suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting unlike the Dell 3014 and feel far more responsive once overclocked.

You used to have a 3014 so I thought I would clarify a few things rather than having you buy one and possibly mislead people with posts about these monitors having dull colors compared to your previous monitor. The Dell 28" is not out, until it has been reviewed we won't know if it is worth waiting for.

Last edited:
You can find guides to reinforce the bezel , its a pain in the ass but it works. Here a video guide in fact if you feel brave enough (it only shows how to dismantle the monitor , you'll have to search for recommendations on how to reinforce it) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0EMmNmvFcAA#t=263s

As for the stand I recommend : http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5400&seq=1&format=2

Nice and sturdy and cheap.

Thanks for the info!. I'll probably do this in the future, since I actually have a spare ergotron stacking arm, but I can't use it on this desk because of the configuration. I'm gonna wait til I move my computer stuff to another room before I attempt to do anything with it

The colors on this screen are awesome.. light years better than the old dell 2007fp's that I have been using for years

Would it be advantageous of me to sell my S27A850D and pick up a QX2710 purely for the slightly better gaming performance?

Would it be advantageous of me to sell my S27A850D and pick up a QX2710 purely for the slightly better gaming performance?

The difference between 120hz on a QX2710 and a true 120hz TN panel is still pretty obvious. The TN will win because its been tuned as a panel to run at 120hz pixels and all. The QX2710 on the other hand just happens to have a favorable PCB that allows for overclocking but the actual blur isn't lessened in the way that it is on a true 120hz TN (and now one VA) panel.

I think the difference is worth it personally but it really comes down to the user and their own perception.

If you buy it through a retailer off Amazon you should be able to return it with ease if you don't like the result.

At this point in the game though it might be smart just to wait for the G-sync monitors and see what those offers will bring us.

Yes if you want to overclock and don't mind possibly having to take the monitor apart the monitor to fix the back-light bleed.

Any bought this new 30" from Monoprice?

No. People are interested in the Qnix/X-Star since they can overclock and offer the best image quality. 30" monitors can't overclock and multi-input models always have a 20ms+ delay except for the Dell 3014 which has a lag free game mode which can't display colors properly since it uses the displays native, wide gamut. If you are after a 30" with over-saturated colors and low lag buy another Dell 3014 and use the game mode.

If you want proper colors, far less glow, low input lag plus the ability to overclock buy a Qnix QX2710 or X-Star DP2710.

Anyone get hit with a FedEx bill after the monitor came? I just got a bill from FedEx for 20.45. I'm in the US and got hit with 13.95 for duty and 6.50 for the advancement fee (FedEx paid the duty to clear customs).

Anyone get hit with a FedEx bill after the monitor came? I just got a bill from FedEx for 20.45. I'm in the US and got hit with 13.95 for duty and 6.50 for the advancement fee (FedEx paid the duty to clear customs).
Luckily, no.

I was totally expecting one but I got a letter from FedEx a few days later with an invoice for $0.00. Completely surprised me. Seems like not everyone is hit with the charge.

I thought the US didn't have any duty fees or taxes on imports from South Korea since we have a trade agreement?

My X-Star from dream seller arrived yesterday. How long after delivery did you receive this bill?

Thought I would do the world a service since I'm not the only one who got fucked by green-suck. If you're looking for a "Glossy" model, do not order from any seller on eBay, as apparently the production of these had stopped or is in limited supply. If you do see "Glossy" its really a "Tempered Glass" model instead, which is an absolute piece of trash, its the matte panel with a crap piece of glass or possibly even lexan RTV'ed onto the plastic frame. If you're after a deal, and are debezeling than I suppose knock yourself out, but if you're looking for the true glossy coating, good luck, there's someone on oc.net looking for the actual "Glossy" models.

Also a word for the wise, don't browse on anything other than 60Hz, image retention is bad. OC'ing 96Hz is pretty doable so is 120Hz, but what you don't really see is picky freaks like me mentioning much is yes, you can OC, but there's a reason these are cheap, color uniformity across the panel with even tight timings isn't quite there at higher clocks and you start to see the defects in the actual panel, let alone the dimming that occurs due to gamma shift.

I don't really know if I have it in me to give it another shot and just suck it up and get a real
"Matte" version, but if I do, it will be modded to hell and back.

Can anyone advise me as to whether it is better to buy a more expensive 'Pixel Perfect' model off eBay or just take the 'safe' route with an Amazon.com dealer for the QNIX QX2710? Looking to buy a new monitor in the next few days..

Back