27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 impressions

I don't think people should be spending that extra money for pixel perfect. I didn't and both of mine are pixel perfect with a little tweaking to minimize the backlight bleed.

Hi all, I've purchased the Matte Finish and am running @ 120hz using the catleap monitor driver and cru to change to 120 in NV CP, i think thats right. Anyhow I was wonder how I would go about reseting back to 60hz when I'm not gamin, Do I need to reset anything?

Thanks

Hi all, I've purchased the Matte Finish and am running @ 120hz using the catleap monitor driver and cru to change to 120 in NV CP, i think thats right. Anyhow I was wonder how I would go about reseting back to 60hz when I'm not gamin, Do I need to reset anything?

Thanks

Why would you reset when not gaming? Just leave it at 120hz all over. Also, you can reset it using the reset all.exe that came with your CRU zip package.

Why would you reset when not gaming? Just leave it at 120hz all over. Also, you can reset it using the reset all.exe that came with your CRU zip package.

Hey thanks dude!

Not sure why Just thought it was the most sensible thing to do :p

Thanks

You can use custom refresh rates in some games like BF3 without having to use it on desktop. I have run 96 on desktop, and 120 in game at times, just to kind of test stuff out.

You can use custom refresh rates in some games like BF3 without having to use it on desktop. I have run 96 on desktop, and 120 in game at times, just to kind of test stuff out.

I'll have to try that, Thanks Liqq.

Hi, I've been watching this forum for months and finally decided to go ahead and buy one of these monitors. I went with QNIX. It just got here after barely 3 days, from S.Korea, impressive.

The package was well wrapped, it didn't have any bumps or visible scratches. I saw the DHL guy at the door and grabbed it right away.

I had some problems getting it to work the first time. I bought a gtx 460 to go with the monitor and I was trying both DVI ports and getting scan lines all over the place even in POST. I use Ubuntu, it was a bit of a hell to get it to work. It was like stuck in sort of a testing mode displaying random colors and gradients. While this "test mode" was active there were no scan lines and the plain colors were very vivid and crisp so it couldn't be a faulty panel. It eventually got "unstuck" somehow, maybe it was a loose connection or just had to heat up a bit, who knows...

I have dual monitors so I isolated the QNIX monitor and tested in a Windows installation, and it worked beautifully after installing the nVidia drivers. I finally got it working in Ubuntu with some edits to "xorg.conf" after a few hours of fiddling.

The monitor is very bright, very big, quite slim, not very solid, great colors after calibration though. I have some of the problems that were discussed previously. The panel is a bit loose, I got 1 stuck green pixel (visible in dark background) and just a bit of backlight bleed in the bottom right corner. It's only noticeable in very dark backgrounds, and it seems to almost go away if I press the panel a bit.

Overall, this is an excellent product, the stuck pixel doesn't bother me, I got the "up to 2 dead pixels" policy deal, so I can't complain. The other two problems can be worked around, but I think I'll just live with it.

Btw I have it running stable at 85hz. Didn't want to go too high. I miss OSD controls but other than that no problems whatsoever. Let's see how this goes as days go by.

Last edited:
Got mine a while ago and finally found the time to unpack it today. Haven't tried overclocking yet but so far I'm liking the semi-gloss from the so-called matte version. Definitely some panel play and on its default stand the top of the monitor is tilted slightly towards me. Don't know if it's just me but the monitor does seem to be capable of some scaling with GPU scaling disabled (unless Win8 is doing it in the background despite disabling it in CCC), and it showed BIOS just fine on its first boot while connected. Gonna go look for the testing suite to check dead pixels, backlight bleed, etc before I attempt to overclock.

Last edited:
Ordered mine two days ago from hulustar. No response yet at all, pm'ed yesterday with no response replied. Is this the norm? =*(...I'm getting impatient...lol

Ordered mine two days ago from hulustar. No response yet at all, pm'ed yesterday with no response replied. Is this the norm? =*(...I'm getting impatient...lol

Hi fella, I don't think they work over the weekend.

To be fair with me Hulustar was excellent with comms, wait till Monday providing it's not a holiday for them over there.

Let us know how you get on ;)

I ordered from hulustar -- my story above --, and I was very pleased with the speed and packaging. Just give it some time. They'll give you a tracking number and you can check the progress in almost real time (at least with DHL).

Yea , you'll get an order update probably by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Patience.

Update: no dead pixels I can see, only slight backlight bleed on the bottom of the panel. Didn't realize the monitor is actually tiltable until I tried exerting more pressure on it. Overclocks to 96Hz effortlessly, at 120Hz green scanlines occasionally show up in the bottom fourth of the screen but there is no consistency as to when or why that I can figure out. As many other people have reported there is indeed a gamma drop as you increase the overclock.

Anyway as a casualish gamer I'm finding out that I'm not noticing any significant difference when increasing refresh rate. Maybe my eyes just aren't sensitive enough. ~$300 remains a sick deal for 2560x1440 IPS whether it overclocks or not. Should hold me over until 4k+ displays are affordable if nothing else. Still got about a week to buy a SquareTrade warranty, was hoping they'd have a Memorial Day promo but haven't seen anything yet...

Its been a while since last i cheked on samsung PLS tech, but it was utterly slow in response time and pretty much impossible to use at 100Hz+.
I would bet that the monitor is receiving a 100-120hz signal, but its only displaying 60hz, as is so common in these koreans PCBs. For actual 120hz operation this PLS panel would need ~8ms response time, something that i have never heard from PLS panels before.

This or it is not PLS at all.

Just got a response from hulustar. They are out of the pixel perfect qnix =*(. He offered a pixel perfect xstar..But considering this was much cheaper compared to the qnix, I said I'd wait for him to get it in stock....bummer =*(.

Its been a while since last i cheked on samsung PLS tech, but it was utterly slow in response time and pretty much impossible to use at 100Hz+.
I would bet that the monitor is receiving a 100-120hz signal, but its only displaying 60hz, as is so common in these koreans PCBs. For actual 120hz operation this PLS panel would need ~8ms response time, something that i have never heard from PLS panels before.

This or it is not PLS at all.

They are 8ms (states in manual) and it has been confirmed multiple times and various ways it is truly displaying higher Hz incl in games (not frame skipping or what not). You can see the difference even on the desktop moving windows around quickly. They also have a Samsung PLS label on the rear of the panel. People who have removed the panels have taken pictures.

By the way, I have been able to lessen my two middleish bleed spots by removing the two middle screws. Also helped the issue where the center of screen was slightly lower than the edges. These screws can be too tight on the frame.

You can definetely tell the difference when you change the refresh rate. I pushed it all the way to 96hz but the colors get darker, so you have to create a new color profile. I want back to 60hz anyway for daily use.

So no pixel stuckage or backlight bleeding.

Just extreme damage in shipping because it was just sent in a box.

http://imgur.com/a/XcJlz#0

Ugh, bought it from Hulustar we'll see what happens.

Wow, i'd be extremely pissed. Unacceptable really, I mean I bought mine from excellentcastle and no doubt they did ship the monitor in the retail box. However, they did put on thick foam around the box and IMO that was good enough as it absorbed all the shock.

No use getting angry until I see what solution the seller offers.

if anything it was a combination of DHL's mishandling and poor packaging.

=O...That's a bit scary. I ordered a pixel perfect qx2710 from hulustar that hasn't shipped yet. They are trying to locate a pixel perfect panel for me. But if what it is said about excellentcastle wrapping it in foam is true, I might cancel my order and order through him instead.

I msg'ed hulustar (has been keeping me up to date every day if he has found a panel) and asked if it can be wrapped in something before shipped. Waiting on his response, if the answer is no might cancel my order and jump to excellentcastle....

Plus, the name excellentcastle is more epic =P...I want an excellent castle...rawr

yeah that sucks. i thought dhl was really gentile with their cargo. if its been transported with them all the way i would ask them to pay for it..

If I cant reach a resolution with the seller I will try to talk to DHL although it's honestly hulustar's fault for not packaging it better. it came in the retail box wrapped in a thin plastic. not like the foam the other one's I've seen.

I'm talking with the seller now let's see what he offers.

it's just a shame it would be such a good monitor if it wasn't dented to hell in the middle there is severe bleed at the top and at the bottom straight up and down a line where the package was impacted.

Update: Looks like that's what he's going to do is contact DHL and make a claim.

Last edited:
Been looking through Ebay to see what is available and I noticed that the QNIX Evolution 2 comes in Matte and Gloss varieties. Does anyone know if a Semi-Gloss version is available? And for people who got the Matte version, how aggressive is it?

I imagine this has been asked several times already, so if you could just throw me a link to a post that already answered it I'd be very appreciative.

From what I've read the Matte is more of a semi gloss, but it's hard to say since a lot of them differ.

Been looking through Ebay to see what is available and I noticed that the QNIX Evolution 2 comes in Matte and Gloss varieties. Does anyone know if a Semi-Gloss version is available? And for people who got the Matte version, how aggressive is it?

I imagine this has been asked several times already, so if you could just throw me a link to a post that already answered it I'd be very appreciative.

I have two of these and you won't regret the matte. It says matte only because it really can't be defined as a gloss.

Aight, bad news. Monitor just died on me. Vertical lines everywhere, no image, tried new cable, power supply, adapter... I opened it to try and fix it, nothing, monitor is dead. It lasted 7 days. Wasted $300. I think I'm gonna buy another one but not Qnix, the ones that are slightly more expensive seem to be of better quality. This sucks... I'm think it had to be a defective panel, if you read my previous story, when I first connected the monitor I got these lines all over the place too but it got fixed by itself somehow. but now it's completely dead.

Would you recommend getting another Qnix/Xstar with insurance (dumb me for not getting it) or get a $400+ monitor and hope it's good this time? I really liked the semi-gloss of the Qnix but the overall quality seemed way too cheap. The Crossover looks slightly better, so I feel more confiedent buying one of those. But if I get a Qnix with insurance, at least I can get it replaced if it fails. What do you think guys?

EDIT: OK, just decided to spend a bit more and snagged a refurbished Asus PB278Q on ebay for $519 free shipping from the US and 90 days warranty. I'm sure there are people getting lucky with these korean monitors, not me. It was stunningly beautiful while it lasted, so if you got lucky the monitor is great value. Oh well, you learn from these things I guess. I'll try and see if hulustar would take it back and refund me at least half. I broke a couple of plastic pieces when I opened the monitor, so it won't close back properly.

Last edited:
Aight, bad news. Monitor just died on me. Vertical lines everywhere, no image, tried new cable, power supply, adapter... I opened it to try and fix it, nothing, monitor is dead. It lasted 7 days. Wasted $300. I think I'm gonna buy another one but not Qnix, the ones that are slightly more expensive seem to be of better quality. This sucks... I'm think it had to be a defective panel, if you read my previous story, when I first connected the monitor I got these lines all over the place too but it got fixed by itself somehow. but now it's completely dead.

Would you recommend getting another Qnix/Xstar with insurance (dumb me for not getting it) or get a $400+ monitor and hope it's good this time? I really liked the semi-gloss of the Qnix but the overall quality seemed way too cheap. The Crossover looks slightly better, so I feel more confiedent buying one of those. But if I get a Qnix with insurance, at least I can get it replaced if it fails. What do you think guys?

EDIT: OK, just decided to spend a bit more and snagged a refurbished Asus PB278Q on ebay for $519 free shipping from the US and 90 days warranty. I'm sure there are people getting lucky with these korean monitors, not me. It was stunningly beautiful while it lasted, so if you got lucky the monitor is great value. Oh well, you learn from these things I guess. I'll try and see if hulustar would take it back and refund me at least half. I broke a couple of plastic pieces when I opened the monitor, so it won't close back properly.

That sucks. But its always a risk. That's how these monitors are. Its one big reason I highly recommend the SquareTrade Warranty , gives you some security.

But you just got unlucky basically. Hopefully this won't be the fate more will have to face.

I was about to suggest you get one of the Monoprice IPS monitors for $390. They're US based and their warranty support is amazing.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11401&cs_id=1130704&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

I think you just got a bad one from the start. I haven't been keeping up with the threads as I've been busy the last week or so, but you are the first person I've heard of that had one die.

This does remind me to get a Squaretrade warranty though while I still have a few days left to do it. Does anyone happen to have a spare coupon code that will work on an Ebay item? I got one from somebody here a couple weeks ago, but it was invalid.

I was about to suggest you get one of the Monoprice IPS monitors for $390. They're US based and their warranty support is amazing.

I ordered the ASUS which is a very nice semi-glossy PLS for barely $120 more, that was a great deal, with adjustable stand and OSD. But this Monoprice one looks nicer than the Qnix, I may buy one in the near future to retire my old 1080p TN and work with two 27"... I've seen some of the setups and they look amazing. And to be honest, even tough I just wasted $300 I would definetely consider getting another Korean one (with insurance this time). I basically got very bad luck.

There are also IPS ones at Microcenter if you have one nearby. Auria. $399 can get an open box for like $338. Most probably get returned by people without DVI-D/I, I figure.

Just got my pixel perfect from hulustar. Amazing display I have to admit so far, tested a few movies and looked at some images...Nice difference from my 26" viewsonic...

But...holy bajesus backlight bleed. Now I'm not sure if this is considered extreme or not...Considering I've never had backlight bleed issues on pretty much any of my displays. But does this warrant a return? or?....Any recommendations to fix? Looking around the panel, the bottom part of the plastic doesn't press against the monitor at all...quite open actually. Wasn't expecting amazing construction on the base/bezel...But if anyone improved the look by opening it up or doing anything, it might warrant a go, unless I should just contact for a return and send a sample image to hulustar...

Do keep in mind images always make it way worse than it actually looks. But still, I use a dark background wallpaper...You could easily notice a huge color shift on the bottom right and left...=*(.

Here's a link to another pic...now this one I took in video mode on my phone...which actually makes it look like less severe...but actually doesn't show it as bad as it is...To my eyes at least =P...

http://postimg.org/image/sxzlsmu7h/

Take this image with a grain of salt...take both pictures into account, and think of a middle ground between both...that is what I see...lol

Last edited:
Yeah, the Korean panels are a risk... much cheaper and some of them are overclockable, but you can end up with a dud :(. The sellers usually are pretty good about DOA/within 14/30 days (whatever the policy of who you bought it from) though from what I've read. Of course since you physically damaged yours I don't know if they'll be quite as open to an exchange...

Mine's still flawless with minimal backlight bleed (not visible during any normal use, unless you count a black screen in a pitch-black room looking for it at the right angles "normal use" :p), running it at 110hz though for better color uniformity while gaming instead of 120hz at the moment (which while looking very very good still, it darkens the color on the top right just enough to bother my overly-nitpicking self there). I run 96hz on the desktop.

Just got my QNIX glossy, soooo nice, if you’re on the fence about getting one then do yourself a favor and pick one up now.

BLB is bad, but totally still worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah the BLB can be bad; but at least such can be fixed and is due to fairly obvious structural problems once you take a look see inside. Even just removing the screws can help on bottom spots by relieving pressure on the panel.

I'll post some pics when I get home, but I received mine late last week. There are a couple of stuck pixels and there was some severe back light bleeding. I took it apart, bent the frame member back straight, and then did the electrical tape mod. It's not perfect, there is a little bit of bleeding in the bottom right corner that was not there before and a little at the top that was not, but the horrific bleeding that was on the bottom is now gone.

Pretty satisfied so far. I might take it apart again and attempt to do a better job, but for now it will do.

Should be just fine , you fall right between what you need. However if you want to overclock I'm not sure how well that would go.

So is this chart out of date or are there really no 6xx or 7xxx cards able to support this monitor?

I've been eyeing this one for a while now but have held off on pulling the trigger for some time. Right now I'm running a 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131457, which apparently has a DVI-I Dual Link port, which according to wiki has both the digital and analog integrated into the connector.

Would I be able to run this monitor or not? I've been kicking around the idea for a monitor upgrade for a while now, my 28" WUXGA is getting a bit long in the teeth and I don't want to step down to 1080p, even if it does mean getting a higher refresh rate. This monitor seemed like a happy medium compared to the other 27" 1440p IPS monitors, being dirt cheap doesn't hurt either.

So is this chart out of date or are there really no 6xx or 7xxx cards able to support this monitor?

I've been eyeing this one for a while now but have held off on pulling the trigger for some time. Right now I'm running a 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131457, which apparently has a DVI-I Dual Link port, which according to wiki has both the digital and analog integrated into the connector.

Would I be able to run this monitor or not? I've been kicking around the idea for a monitor upgrade for a while now, my 28" WUXGA is getting a bit long in the teeth and I don't want to step down to 1080p, even if it does mean getting a higher refresh rate. This monitor seemed like a happy medium compared to the other 27" 1440p IPS monitors, being dirt cheap doesn't hurt either.
The chart is just plain wrong. Ignore it. You will be able to run it.

Back