27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor~90hz <$400 FS

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mine shipped from dcsamsungmall this evening, ordered in the afternoon. Got a Catleap 27" SE, time to get rid of my HP 25" eyefinity setup, accepting PMs.

Would going with a CCFL lessen backlight bleed? What's the benefit of this over LED backlighting? I thought CCFL was an older, cheaper, tech that was being phased out for a reason.

Last edited:
OK. Any of you RTS gamers out there, get one of these monitors. At least in SCII micro'ing is so much easier. The mini-map isn't so mini anymore and the monitor is a dream. So far I can't say enough good about this thing.

Would going with a CCFL lessen backlight bleed? What's the benefit of this over LED backlighting? I thought CCFL was an older, cheaper, tech that was being phased out for a reason.

I'm no pro at the tech, but the ccfl backlit should be much more even the am edge lit by led's like what is typical now. And older doesn't mean inferior. edge lit allows for a thinner display which is popular so there hotter Sellers.

I'm no pro at the tech, but the ccfl backlit should be much more even the am edge lit by led's like what is typical now. And older doesn't mean inferior. edge lit allows for a thinner display which is popular so there hotter Sellers.
That pretty much nails it. Edge-lit is also the cheaper backlight alternative, which is another reason why display manufacturers have embraced it.

It's not really CCFL vs LED, it's more like CCFL vs Edge-lit. Full array or full array + local dimming would have been a different story.

The good news is Catleap and Shimian owners haven't been complaining about uneven backlighting, so a CCFL backlight becomes more of a preference than anything else.

Last edited:
That pretty much nails it. Edge-lit is also the cheaper backlight alternative, which is another reason why display manufacturers have embraced it.

It's not really CCFL vs LED, it's more like CCFL vs Edge-lit. Full array or full array + local dimming would have been a different story.

The good news is Catleap and Shimian owners haven't been complaining about uneven backlighting, so a CCFL backlight becomes more of a preference than anything else.

I have seen pics of both I believe showing the uneven backlight on the OCN thread. It doesnt appear to be horrible, but at equal cost the full array back lightinging I think would be a bonus.

I'll take LED over CCFL any day just from a longevity standpoint. LEDs last far longer. I'd much rather have full array, but my screen is surprisingly uniform given it's edge lit.

Hopefully the price will continue to drop on all options. A couple notable differences I noticed in a quick scan of some of the differences is the amount of heat output from the CCFL vs LED, with the CCFL putting off more, and well as having greater power consumption. Were I buying today, I'd go for the LED backlight, but I'm probably going to be getting one for my birthday in mid May, so until then, let the price wars continue!

Anybody hear anything about the quality issues with the Crossover? I think I've narrowed things down to wanting to buy one of those, but with the quality issue, per ta_seller, now I'm not so sure.

the amount of heat output from the CCFL vs LED, with the CCFL putting off more, and well as having greater power consumption

Well yeah, they're the same thing. Power in = heat out.

Last edited:
I bought a Crossover from dcsamsung yesterday so will know by monday if its just an isolated incident.

I received a crossover yesterday from dcsamsungmall, it seems to be fine. 1 dead pixel bottom center.

I ordered mine from ta_planet on Saturday (was shipped Monday morning, Korean time) and it arrived in Michigan today.

Same as me as mine is out on delivery truck since this morning at 8:45. Simply amazing. 2 day shipping from me to California is $150. So this came from Korea making the actual cost of just the monitor probably less than $150. They have to be getting free shipping subsidies to help with growing Korean exports.

Hey Guys been lurking this and OCN's thread for over the last two weeks. Did they ever re-instate the b board for OCing past 60hz on any of the current monitors on ebay?

No.

One of the guys over at OCN is trying to work out a limited run of Catleap monitors which would have that version of the PCB in place with the manufacturer, but that's still a ways out.

Mine is hooked up and working flawlessly. I have a single dead pixel in the bottom left corner. I had to run a pixel test to even find it and over looked it for the first couple minutes. I am 100% happy with my purchase. Though my 23" next to it is now feeling a bit small. Had to turn it vertical to even fit in my hutch.

just giddy. truly feel like a kid sitting behind it. everytime i look at it i smile.

Last edited:
I'm not even that dead set on 120hz. I would be content with even 80hz.

I may just jump on one of these 60hz displays. For $350 you can't go wrong. I've been stuck on 1080p for a long time now.

My only problem so far is I can not figure out how to fit another one on my desk.

So like what's the best place to order this from? I hate dead pixels.
In your case and in all seriousness? Probably none, but DCsamsungmall has the fastest shipping by a longshot.

All merchants would require you to pay for return shipping to Korea, around $100, and they won't accept a return or exchange based upon a few dead or stuck pixels. There were even a couple of people who paid extra for no dead pixels and still got them anyway, but on the same note there have been many who got pixel perfect panels, it almost seems like the majority did. Otherwise those who want to jump in on this deal need to lower their risk threshold and be willing to put up with a couple of microscopic stuck pixels.

Last edited:
Otherwise DCsamsungmall has the fastest shipping by a longshot.

All the sellers seem to be quite fast right now. Mine arrived in 2 business days from ta_planet, and my friend got his in 3 from red-cap.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Articulating arm. You don't need space on your desk, just have it hanging over the edge!

Problem is I do not have the width in the hutch. Desk is deep enough but just can not fit a 27" and a 23" next too each other both in landscape. I may just take the hutch off.

In your case and in all seriousness? Probably none, but DCsamsungmall has the fastest shipping by a longshot.

All merchants would require you to pay for return shipping to Korea, around $100, and they won't accept a return or exchange based upon a few dead or stuck pixels. There were even a couple of people who paid extra for no dead pixels and still got them anyway, but on the same note there have been many who got pixel perfect panels, it almost seems like the majority did. Otherwise those who want to jump in on this deal need to lower their risk threshold and be willing to put up with a couple of microscopic stuck pixels.

Got mine in 3 days from ordering on Weekend as well from ta_planet. Box was practically MINT. Not over packed like some, was just in its original packaging. Its an A- panel. I have had dead pixels on more name brand panels from sceptre or x2gen as well. For this price, its not nearly a problem. Now if I had a stuck bright red pixel in the dead center I would not be happy, but a dead pixel in the lower left corner is no big deal to me.

Mine spent an hour in customs and is on it's way now from Arkansas. Ordered tues. but didn't ship till wed. so FedEx says I'll get it monday.

Mine spent an hour in customs and is on it's way now from Arkansas. Ordered tues. but didn't ship till wed. so FedEx says I'll get it monday.

I have a similar story except I ordered mine on Monday and it wasn't shipped until Tuesday and FedEx says I won't get it until next Tuesday but it's already at it's destination sorting facility

is that the same monitor as what everyone else is getting?

Nope! That one has multiple inputs(thus a scaler and lag), has speakers, plus it's a different brand than the catleap, but I think with the same panel. I recall seeing a few people had ordered these, but don't remember whether or not they posted reviews.

A lot of the Zero Dead Pixel Guarantees don't count stuck pixels, so if you're going to order, check with the seller to make sure it includes both.

Nope! That one has multiple inputs(thus a scaler and lag), has speakers, plus it's a different brand than the catleap, but I think with the same panel. I recall seeing a few people had ordered these, but don't remember whether or not they posted reviews.

A lot of the Zero Dead Pixel Guarantees don't count stuck pixels, so if you're going to order, check with the seller to make sure it includes both.

so which model do i want? i hate lag and dead/stuck pixels

so which model do i want? i hate lag and dead/stuck pixels

It's a risk either way you go. None of these monitors are perfect and truthfully most big name companies in the US don't have a 0 pixel policy neither. These are LG panels that haven't been designated for major brand distribution and instead get sold off to smaller generic brand displays so they are never perfect. For lag I heard the 3View PCBank is really good but so is the Crossover. Crossover uses LED and PCBank uses CCFL.

Just ordered my second one from DCSamsungMall last night. It's already shipped and should be here Tuesday.

My first one ended up coming almost 2 days early, but since it's the weekend we'll see.

I did have a spec of dust in between the glass of my Shimian, but I just smacked the screen until it fell out of view. (I forgot who suggested that, but thanks!)

Back