27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor~90hz <$400 FS

I've run across a few weird quirks with my sample -

anyone try cranking down the brightness and get funky colors?(especially when set on a custom color profile)

C

Honestly, this is a fantastic deal, for one. But for me, I'm not going to replace a 42" S-IPS with a 27" S-IPS with a higher resolution. I need 3 for eyefinity for it to make sense and with AMD, the drivers are still very problematic on top of, a single 7970 is not going to drive 3 x 2560 x 1440's with the smoothness I'm going to expect and demand. Then there is the active display port jobbies I need, two of 'em at $90 or so each. So I'm looking at $360ing x 3 + $180ish. Yeah ... not going to happen. Guess I made my mind up.

Fantastic hot deal for one monitor tho for those of you that need something new, better.

Last edited:
a single 7970 is not going to drive 3 x 2560 x 1440's with the smoothness I'm going to expect and demand

Ha, no, definitely not. Part of the reason I'm considering dumping my 3x 1920x1200 setup is because of performance with my single 7970. With 60% more pixels, unless you're running everything around medium settings and no AA (post-processing AA, maybe), it would likely be a slideshow with more demanding titles. Eyefinity's hard enough to get working in games consistently. Eyefinity + Crossfire is a whole new level of pain in the ass (used to have 2x unlocked 6950s).

regarding that alibaba, I emailed the mfg

A group of enthusiasts in the US might be interested for a group buy. Would you be willing to do an order less than 100 units? Are these guranteed at 2560x1440@120hz?

Dear Mr. C W,

Thank you so much for your inquiry about our 27" LED monitor with 2560x1440@120Hz resolution.

I am Josh from Shenzhen Pengliang Electronics Co.,LTD., a company specialized in researching,developing and manufacturing LCD/LED displays since 2006.

We can guarantee that the resolution is 2560x1440@ 120Hz, since we use the same panel as that of MAC27, we import this panel directly from LG in South Korea.

We accept a small order less than 100 units, giving you the price based on 100 units, that is USD 258 per unit, freight cost not included.

This monitor gives the user a stunning display experience due to its high resolution, quite a few enthusiasts of game players and other people who require high resolution displaying have found it marvelous.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed with it.

Best regards,

Josh

Sales Manager, Shenzhen Pengliang Electronics Co.,LTD. Tel: 86 0755 61362275 Fax: 86 0755 61362230 Address: Rm1405, Baohua Building, Huaqiang North Road, Futian District, Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province, China

Although they seem to gurantee its awesomeness, as far as my knowledge the mac 27 doesnt do 120hz, nor do the rest of these LG panels they are all based on

Honestly, this is a fantastic deal, for one. But for me, I'm not going to replace a 42" S-IPS with a 27" S-IPS with a higher resolution. I need 3 for eyefinity for it to make sense and with AMD, the drivers are still very problematic on top of, a single 7970 is not going to drive 3 x 2560 x 1440's with the smoothness I'm going to expect and demand. Then there is the active display port jobbies I need, two of 'em at $90 or so each. So I'm looking at $360ing x 3 + $180ish. Yeah ... not going to happen. Guess I made my mind up.

Fantastic hot deal for one monitor tho for those of you that need something new, better.
Tell urself what u want but the active dp adapter can be had for cheap these days. No way they still cost 90.

Man I'm happy I started wasting my morning at work looking through this thread...I'm literally in the market for a new display. The general consensus is the Crossover is the best all around unit here right?

The general consensus is the Crossover is the best all around unit here right?

The panel is identical in all the monitors, so you have to choose from looks, stand mobility, possible refresh rate, inputs, need for speaker.

Love my catleap. Just pick one and start checking T&T every minute for the next 3-5 days! ;)

Tell urself what u want but the active dp adapter can be had for cheap these days. No way they still cost 90.

Fairly sure there's a Sapphire branded one available for around $35? To be fair I don't know if it'll handle this resolution.

The panel is identical in all the monitors, so you have to choose from looks, stand mobility, possible refresh rate, inputs, need for speaker.

Love my catleap. Just pick one and start checking T&T every minute for the next 3-5 days! ;)

Yea looks like it. Im guessing the build for the crossover seems sturdier.

Also any monitor that can do what these do at this price are worth it if they were propped up by a cinder block and tape. On a side note its pretty apparent the US retailers are enjoying a ridiculous mark up on fairly affordable technology. Mainly because the professional consumer doesn't mind spending the higher amounts of things. Just look at how overpriced Quadro cards are.

Fairly sure there's a Sapphire branded one available for around $35? To be fair I don't know if it'll handle this resolution.

The cheaper ones are only single link adapters. You need a dual link for this resolution and those are still around $90.

MONITOR.jpg

WOOOT!! Just got my Crossover monitor. Gonna have to wait till this evening to unbox it and hook it up. I don't see any outer damage through or anything, seems very well packaged. I will have pics - Anyone have any questions they want answered that I can get to tonight?

Only thing I won't really know how to do with these is overclock them, though I guess I can look up on OCN and try to figure it out.

--posting this in Display subforum

The cheaper ones are only single link adapters. You need a dual link for this resolution and those are still around $90.

Monoprice has one for $70, and searching on Ebay finds Bizlink versions for $50-60 (Those are actually recommended by AMD).

But still, those are active dual-link adapters required for monitors of this resolution.

Although they seem to gurantee its awesomeness, as far as my knowledge the mac 27 doesnt do 120hz, nor do the rest of these LG panels they are all based on

Well even if it's 60hz I'd still be interested in a group buy if it were to happen.

I still don't trust it. :eek: I'd have to see it in person to be sure. Maybe over DisplayPort they can do 120hz. But the Catleaps couldn't get past 100hz because of physical limitations of the GPU over DVI.

I ordered two from green-sum on Monday. Doesn't show as shipped yet in eBay, and doesn't have any tracking information listed. So, I guess I'm in the same boat as some others - waiting on him to get more in stock to fill the orders. I'm not in a big hurry so it doesn't matter to me much, but it's kinda deceptive to sell stuff on eBay that you don't actually have. :(

Welp, the tracking information was slow to update. The two monitors I ordered on Monday arrived on Saturday. The two Catleaps are flawless. I can't spot a single dead pixel, and the backlight bleed is so minimal that I can't discern it. I'm thrilled with the two monitors (aside from the wimpy stands that everyone knows about). BTW, one extra thing that I didn't see anyone else mention - mine came with adapters taped to the outside of the box so I don't have to use my own power cable - a very nice touch I thought! If you were on the fence about these monitors I think you need to stop debating and start buying ;)

Welp, the tracking information was slow to update. The two monitors I ordered on Monday arrived on Saturday. The two Catleaps are flawless. I can't spot a single dead pixel, and the backlight bleed is so minimal that I can't discern it. I'm thrilled with the two monitors (aside from the wimpy stands that everyone knows about). BTW, one extra thing that I didn't see anyone else mention - mine came with adapters taped to the outside of the box so I don't have to use my own power cable - a very nice touch I thought! If you were on the fence about these monitors I think you need to stop debating and start buying ;)

Yea mine did too. I was like yes. Because I forgot to grab me a power cable yesterday and I was so stoked when I saw the adapter. I mentioned it in the display section.

Any suggestions on if we can use VESA mount on these guys? I am seriously considering mounting this thing and I have just enough space to the right of my window.

I think you can use VESA mount with the catleaps but you have to tear off the back stand first.

my two catleaps got here too, will check them out later today.

I talked with one of the Alibaba guys on skype he agreed to send a sample at the 50-100 unit price I will let you guys know how it goes.

yeah those are the guys I am talking to. But at the lower quantity price which is the $250-260 range plus 100 shipping.

Just got my Catleap Q270 SE in from DCsamsungmall. No dead pixels and it looks gorgeous. Colors and brightness are much better than my old Benq G2400WD, but that is to be expected. Minor backlight bleed in the bottom right and it does have a bit of tilt. The tilt is caused by a bit of overhanging plastic on the body of the stand where the stand base attaches. With minimal effort It can be fixed. I just stuck a cup under mine and could care less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5vRjHouvk&feature=youtu.be (available in 1080p)

Quick video of BF3. Video is recorded at 30fps, game was actually much smother but it gives you a good idea.

Ill rate mine about an 8/10. I have a bit more backlight bleed then normal (going to mess with the bezel to try and fix it), and the one dead pixel is noticeable only with white or really bright color behind it (because its simply a black dot). Its down in the lower left though, where I wont be looking except when I am using the start button or something.

The amount of extra "space" compared to 1080P is nuts. In the pics I have one with a browser of equal width on it and my 23in 1080P ASUS. The extra height is well more then I could have imagined as well.

I was scared of not having AG, but now that I see it, Ill never go back. Reflections arent an issue unless its all dark screen with a very bright room.

I did have it come on as a bunch of lines, but turned it off then back on, and it was fine. The first try I turned the PC on then monitor on. When it did the lines, the monitor was in sleep mode when I turned the PC on.

Packaging,

Next to the 23in ASUS

Lines and dead pixel,

Last edited:
I got my crossover today. I am very very happy with it, but its not perfect unfortunately.

I do have 1 STUCK pixel. Its middle top of my screen, unfortunately a place that I look at a fair deal. Its stuck in RED, and I have tried a couple of things to unfreeze it, but to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them!!

The best thing I have tried is JScreenFix which seemed to be the best thing you can try software wise, but it didn't help. I am not really too sure what else to do.

Secondly - I think this monitor may not be IPS or maybe this is how they all look and I am not used to it - but I have noticed that the viewing angles aren't as good as I have see in videos and whatnot. Looking at it straight on and I can see somewhat of a discoloration in the bottom right hand corner. Well - its not discolored as much as it just seems brighter there compared to everywhere else. I thought it might be backlight bleeding, but in a completely black screen, I didn't see too much of it. Maybe you guys can be the judge: These are a couple of pics of a black screen at a few different angles: pic1 pic2 pic3

Here is that DAMN stuck pixel: pic4. It is just 1 pixel and I zoomed in on it. Honestly, hardly visible except when there are dark colors around it. Any help in making this go away will be helpful. Otherwise, I will post more pics of unboxing and final impressions tomorrow.

Secondly - I think this monitor may not be IPS or maybe this is how they all look and I am not used to it - but I have noticed that the viewing angles aren't as good as I have see in videos and whatnot. Looking at it straight on and I can see somewhat of a discoloration in the bottom right hand corner. Well - its not discolored as much as it just seems brighter there compared to everywhere else. I thought it might be backlight bleeding, but in a completely black screen, I didn't see too much of it. Maybe you guys can be the judge: These are a couple of pics of a black screen at a few different angles:

Its uniformity issues from the LED backlighting. Nothing you can really do about it. Its one of the downfalls of LED. All the LED screens I have, have uniformity issues with bright spots in certain areas.

Its uniformity issues from the LED backlighting. Nothing you can really do about it. Its one of the downfalls of LED. All the LED screens I have, have uniformity issues with bright spots in certain areas.

Ah ok, so its not that I necessarily got a really crappy display or anything. I am going to run UndeadPixel overnight and see if that solves the little bastard.

My Achivia Shimian also does the thing with the lines sometimes, but turning it off and back on fixes it every time. I suspect it's something to do with the initial "wake up" call from my card, but eh. Not that big a deal.

Got my Yamakasi Catleap Q270 LED Multi monitor [the one with extra video inputs]. Ordered it on 3/11, got it on 3/19. There are enough unboxing pictures so instead I just wanted to show how this monitor is capable of displaying PS3 at 1080p. Somebody mentioned it would not be possible because the monitor didn't have a scaler and to be honest, I'm not that technical when it comes to monitors nor did I research much on the topic but, wouldn't this prove otherwise? Sound off and tell me what you think. Also, apologies for the crappy quality of my pictures. My little MetroPCS cel its doing the best it can.

[[[ PS3 doesn't lie... or does it? ]]]

IMG_20120319_235105.jpg

[[[ NO OVERSCAN = Picture perfect ]]]

IMG_20120319_235237.jpg
]

[[[ RESISTANCE 3 on Yama...wait :eek:, ah... hold on... I can explain!... ]]]

IMG_20120319_235310.jpg

[[[ These videos are terrible quality, but they make the point ]]]

http://youtu.be/ZvF2_op6D80

http://youtu.be/yizjHFYmQ-4

I purchased this monitor from dream-seller for $427.00 a week ago. Since then it has been creeping up and it sits at $499.00 as of this writing. The seller green-sum still had it at ~ $430 until today when he priced it up $100 more! YIKES! All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the monitor. For the price it can't be beat. :) Hope it helps those who are considering between models.

P.S.: Oh yeah, the speakers are not worth it on this thing. Of course I wasn't expecting Dolby here... :p

The one with more video inputs has a scaler. The DVI only ones dont.

I talked with one of the Alibaba guys on skype he agreed to send a sample at the 50-100 unit price I will let you guys know how it goes.
Cool. They're sending you the monitor that they claim can do 2560x1440 at 120Hz right? Pretty sure its a typo on their end but keep us updated.

Cool. They're sending you the monitor that they claim can do 2560x1440 at 120Hz right? Pretty sure its a typo on their end but keep us updated.

It's probably a typo but 2560x1440 @ 120hz is definitely possible over DP 1.2.

I got my crossover today. I am very very happy with it, but its not perfect unfortunately.

I do have 1 STUCK pixel. Its middle top of my screen, unfortunately a place that I look at a fair deal. Its stuck in RED, and I have tried a couple of things to unfreeze it, but to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them!!

The best thing I have tried is JScreenFix which seemed to be the best thing you can try software wise, but it didn't help. I am not really too sure what else to do.

Secondly - I think this monitor may not be IPS or maybe this is how they all look and I am not used to it - but I have noticed that the viewing angles aren't as good as I have see in videos and whatnot. Looking at it straight on and I can see somewhat of a discoloration in the bottom right hand corner. Well - its not discolored as much as it just seems brighter there compared to everywhere else. I thought it might be backlight bleeding, but in a completely black screen, I didn't see too much of it. Maybe you guys can be the judge: These are a couple of pics of a black screen at a few different angles: pic1 pic2 pic3

Here is that DAMN stuck pixel: pic4. It is just 1 pixel and I zoomed in on it. Honestly, hardly visible except when there are dark colors around it. Any help in making this go away will be helpful. Otherwise, I will post more pics of unboxing and final impressions tomorrow.

That is the IPS "white glow". All monitors will glow on a black screen at an angle but it is especially severe on IPS panels. A completely black screen is the worst case scenario for IPS. Color stability is better than other panel types when bright images are shown.

Well, dream-seller is crap for shipping. Order your LCD from dcsamsung mall. He actually ships on time. I ordered Wednesday, 3/14.
It is now 3/20 and it JUST shipped. Here's the excuse from dream-seller:

Hi!Sorry for the inconvenience.On your transaction record, your order was made on March 14th, and as we are directly connected with manufacturers, your transaction record was handed over to manufacturers on the same day. So your product was supposed to be shipped out on March 16th. We contacted with them and could find out that as lots of orders for this monitor were piled up, it seems that there were missing orders. So your product was shipped out on March 19th, and a tracking number and information will be updated by March 20th. And you will be able to receive your product within this week.Again, we sincerely apologize for this mistake. We beg your deep understanding in advance. We'll wait for your reply. If you have any other question, please feel free to ask. We'd like to help you out as far as we can. Thanks in advance.

Well, dream-seller is crap for shipping. Order your LCD from dcsamsung mall. He actually ships on time. I ordered Wednesday, 3/14.
It is now 3/20 and it JUST shipped. Here's the excuse from dream-seller:

To be fair, you are still going to get it in just over a week from KOREA. :p

I don't think we would be complaining about shipping if dcsamsungmall wasn't so unbelievably good.

To be fair, you are still going to get it in just over a week from KOREA. :p

To be fair, the item description for dream-seller says 12-36 hours handling time. Last time I checked, that's 1.5 days. He took 6 DAYS to ship. He's blaming it on the manufacturer. Sounds to me like he didn't have enough inventory on hand and he was selling items he didn't have.

So, As I posted before, I got this CrossOver LCD yesterday and couldn't wait to set it up. Here are some unboxing pics:

2012-03-19_21-13-18_309.jpg

It was very very well wrapped - about 3-4 layers worth of bubble wrap which kept the box pristine.

2012-03-19_21-14-25_376.jpg

2012-03-19_21-14-59_441.jpg

There is a HUGE layer of foam on this thing - I was no longer surprised why the box was so damn thick lol. They pack this thing in here very well:
2012-03-19_21-15-27_853.jpg

Included was an DVI-D cable, the power brick (which is the exact same one as my Xbox) with the weird Korean plug. Substitue in my old power cord and Viola!

2012-03-19_21-15-45_4.jpg

2012-03-19_21-17-17_606.jpg

2012-03-19_21-21-07_474.jpg

2012-03-19_21-46-04_863.jpg

Now as for the reason I got this monitor over the others: quality and build. I have read that others mentioned that the CrossOvers had a cheap feeling stand, much like the CATLEAPS, but without the tilt. I honestly don't know what they were smoking. The monitor I go is a full aluminum design. The bezel itself is a hard plastic, but the back part of the monitor that is painted white is fully aluminum. The stand itself is full aluminum - this thing is built like a rock and doesn't weight nearly as much as I thought it would. Very, VERY sturdy imo. It is DEFINITELY worth the extra $30 ish premium over the CATLEAPS or other cheaper brands just for the stand and build quality.

I tried to use the color profiles ToastyX linked over at the OCN forum, but they made the monitor look terrible. Not sure why, maybe wasn't what I was expecting, but this thing came out calibrated very well. I didn't take many pics of the tests (my bad), but in my limited knowledge, everything was beautiful. Side by side my old monitor - Its really kind of crazy to see the difference. You think your old TN monitor looks amazing? You don't know what amazing is.

Now to the bad - This particular monitor doesn't have much backlight bleedthrough, but it does have a nasty uniformity issues with the backlight. The following pics were all taken one right after another in different viewing angles on a black screen:

1332211788592.jpg

1332211808700.jpg

1332211831557.jpg

While it may be the case that this is the pitfall of IPS monitors - it still kinda sucks. Maybe I just wasn't expecting this, I know I have seen quite a few videos in which this doesn't happen when viewing at different angles, but its not too bad once I was able to mess with the colors and lighting a bit. Note - The power on light is EXTREMELY bright - its a bit ridiulous to be honest. I think it may actually be bleeding into the monitor screen itself, but I don't really know how to remedy this.

Lastly - I did get 1 stuck pixel in the middle top of the screen. I have tried massaging while turning the monitor on and off, using various software to super-fast-spam the different colors in the area of the stuck pixel in order to unstick it - but nothing has worked. Even left one of these softwares run overnight and its still there :( Here's hoping that it will unstick itself with time. if anyone has any suggestions on this I would be happy to try it out.

Overall I would give it a 9/10. The bad parts I mentioned really come with the territory and something that ANYONE who is going to spend this much on a monitor should really research and know BEFORE you do anything. The stuck pixel sucks, but this can happen on ALL monitors and I doubt ANY manufacturer would allow you to return the monitor because of just 1 pixel.

SUPER, SUPER happy with this purchase. Bought this from dcsamsungmall and got it within 2 business days. I recommend this seller 100%.

after a bit more email exchanging with alibaba
Dear Mr. C W,
Thanks for your email.
I confirm again with our technical staff today, was told that the model with 2560x1440@120Hz has been stopped production from now on, since supporting 120Hz drive board that we used to import from South Korea can not be found now.
The model with 2560x1440@120Hz use the panel with LVDS Logic board which has two screen lines to connect the drive board and panel to achieve 120Hz refresh rate.
Now what we can supply is 2560x1440@60Hz, this model use the panel with DP logic board which has only one screen line and consequently support 60Hz.
I apologize for my mistake, I did not get the updating news from our technical department as I was busy with the preparing for the Canton Fair next month.
Attached is the panel data for your reference, hope it is helpful for you to make your decision.
Best regards,
Josh

My Catleap Multi Input has been stuck in customs in Chicago for two days now. Can't wait to get it!

I noticed a tiny speck of something - less than the size of a pixel - today on my screen. I should say in my screen. Pretty sure it's some particle that's stuck behind the tempered glass. Not sure if it was there to begin with, but maybe tempered glass isn't the way to go if it isn't 100% sealed to prevent contaminants.

Back