27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor~90hz <$400 FS

so do the QH270-Lite from red-cap on ebay come with the 110v power supply or do i have to buy a separate one ?

so do the QH270-Lite from red-cap on ebay come with the 110v power supply or do i have to buy a separate one ?

The one it comes with only states 220v but it seems to work fine with 110v. Silent-circuit stated his PSU died unexpectedly but he is the only one I've seen report it dying. I think most of the Achieva Shimians come with the same PSU (Nanjing Frontek).

The one it comes with only states 220v but it seems to work fine with 110v. Silent-circuit stated his PSU died unexpectedly but he is the only one I've seen report it dying. I think most of the Achieva Shimians come with the same PSU (Nanjing Frontek).

alright, thanks

I would not trust it at 120v. At least pick up a step up transformer off Amazon or similar.

The transformer that came with my catleap that is actually rated for 110-220v seems to run cooler than the 220v model that came with my Acheva. If I were planning on running it for a while I would look into a transformer too.

The transformer that came with my catleap that is actually rated for 110-220v seems to run cooler than the 220v model that came with my Acheva. If I were planning on running it for a while I would look into a transformer too.

would a 100w transformer be sufficient ?

EDIT: i went with a 300watt since ive heard some of them have overrated wattage from the companys.

Last edited:
Seems red_cap is trying to claim that the manufacturer just recently raised prices. I offered $265 each for 3 monitors and he declined the offer even though he has recently accepted $270 per monitor. Oh well.

ordered. I guess we will see. Last time I jumped on a deal like this I was pretty happy. That was he soyo topaz that finally took a big crap last year. My expensive ass doublesight lasted 3 years. One power brick broke like a year ago and they sent me 2 more,... Im gonna try this before I pay to fix that one.

Where are you guys getting them for $270? The one linked in the OP is ~$340. Sorry I am late to the party, I just noticed this discussion. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how this monitor is? Ive seen people here saying pull the trigger on one but I also see 2 different companies selling? Sorry for my dumb questions.

Where are you guys getting them for $270? The one linked in the OP is ~$340. Sorry I am late to the party, I just noticed this discussion. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how this monitor is? Ive seen people here saying pull the trigger on one but I also see 2 different companies selling? Sorry for my dumb questions.

I have only seen one person get it for $270 and that was because he ordered two and his offer was accepted. Red-cap was selling them for $290 each a couple days ago but now he wants $300 or something. The prices fluctuate between sellers on a weekly basis, or so it seems, as the seller in the original post's eBay link was selling them for ~$297 about two weeks ago then suddenly it was $340 a few days after.

The cheapest Achieva Shimian on eBay right now is $298. Just search for achieva shimian in eBay and sort by lowest price with BIN auctions, assuming you want that model and not a Catleap or whatever else.

And, PULL THE TRIGGER! The monitor (Achieva Shimian here) is beautiful. They all use the same panel so there aren't going to be huge differences in picture quality. Some sellers offer a no dead pixel policy and some monitors come with better stands, more inputs, and/or tempered glass. The risks are:
No clue about longevity.
Possibility of dead/stuck pixels.
Possibility of dust behind the tempered glass.

I have only seen one person get it for $270 and that was because he ordered two and his offer was accepted. Red-cap was selling them for $290 each a couple days ago but now he wants $300 or something. The prices fluctuate between sellers on a weekly basis, or so it seems, as the seller in the original post's eBay link was selling them for ~$297 about two weeks ago then suddenly it was $340 a few days after.

The cheapest Achieva Shimian on eBay right now is $298. Just search for achieva shimian in eBay and sort by lowest price with BIN auctions, assuming you want that model and not a Catleap or whatever else.

And, PULL THE TRIGGER! The monitor (Achieva Shimian here) is beautiful. They all use the same panel so there aren't going to be huge differences in picture quality. Some sellers offer a no dead pixel policy and some monitors come with better stands, more inputs, and/or tempered glass. The risks are:
No clue about longevity.

Thank you so much for the run down. I am planning to build a computer and I've read that certain motherboards or psus dont work with it? Also, I may need a transformer or something so this won't overheat my system, is this true? Another thing, I am thinking of getting a ASUS 670 TOP or Windforce and OC it, would one card suffice for gaming in BF3 at this resolution?

That's the first time I've heard that certain motherboards/PSUs aren't compatible. You will need a video card that can display at 2560x1440 but that should be it, I would think.

Each model of this monitor may contain different circuit panels in it, I'm not sure. All use the same A- LG panel however.

The LCD isn't going to overheat your PC. It will tax your video card more, thus making it produce more heat, due to the higher resolution unless you are already using a monitor that is 1440p or higher. The LCD's AC adapter may overheat, if I'm reading some people's posts correctly. Other times it may just die outright (as stated in silent-circuit's post). You can buy a new one for ~$25 on eBay that supposedly is 100-240v (the one with the Shimian monitor just states 220v).

No clue on how BF3 will run as I do not play that game.

So you personally have the achieva and like it? Any dead pixels or anything like that? Were there any problems whatsoever like setting it up or was it simply plug and play? Do you have to change any settings on it when you first got it because I read that some of the buttons don't work? You have to go through your video cards settings or something?

So you personally have the achieva and like it? Any dead pixels or anything like that? Were there any problems whatsoever like setting it up or was it simply plug and play? Do you have to change any settings on it when you first got it because I read that some of the buttons don't work? You have to go through your video cards settings or something?

Yes, I own and like it. No stuck/dead pixels. No problems setting it up, just PnP. It was set to maximum brightness when I first turned it on and I now have it on a fairly low brightness setting. Mine only came with an on/off switch and increase/decrease brightness buttons. All other buttons are nonfunctional. The monitors with multiple inputs or something have a full OSD.

Well red_cap declined my offer of $270 and I agreed to buy three monitors. He keeps fluctuating, but I won't pay more than $270 a piece for one of these if I end up buying one (or three).

Yes, I own and like it. No stuck/dead pixels. No problems setting it up, just PnP. It was set to maximum brightness when I first turned it on and I now have it on a fairly low brightness setting. Mine only came with an on/off switch and increase/decrease brightness buttons. All other buttons are nonfunctional. The monitors with multiple inputs or something have a full OSD.

Which one (or from whom I guess) would you recommend purchasing? Are there any special cables/adapters or do the cables that come with it suffice?

Which one (or from whom I guess) would you recommend purchasing? Are there any special cables/adapters or do the cables that come with it suffice?

Depends what you are looking for. Some have better stands, better pixel policies, tempered glass, more inputs, etc. For the Shimian Lite (what I have) it uses a DVI-D cable and it came with one. All the sellers seem to be good so the largest differences between sellers are price and pixel policy. Then there is also Microcenter who sells this monitor for $400 if you want to buy it from someone in the US.

Depends what you are looking for. Some have better stands, better pixel policies, tempered glass, more inputs, etc. For the Shimian Lite (what I have) it uses a DVI-D cable and it came with one. All the sellers seem to be good so the largest differences between sellers are price and pixel policy. Then there is also Microcenter who sells this monitor for $400 if you want to buy it from someone in the US.

You linked two people selling it (green-sum, and red-cap) are there any others or are these the main two to buy from? Who has the guaranteed no dead pixel policy if you don't mind me asking? One more question, but how is the response time (6ms)? I've been searching and looking for around 2, does it really make that much of a difference?

You linked two people selling it (green-sum, and red-cap) are there any others or are these the main two to buy from? Who has the guaranteed no dead pixel policy if you don't mind me asking? One more question, but how is the response time (6ms)? I've been searching and looking for around 2, does it really make that much of a difference?

There are several sellers and there aren't any main ones to buy from. At the time, I purchased from the cheapest seller which was red-cap. The sellers who offer the pixel policy state it on their product's page and they are usually asking a higher price for their monitors. Response time seems good to me but I'm not very sensitive to ghosting.

For example, here is a "pixel perfect" display (notice the $70 premium for this "perfection"). It states no defective pixels but I'm not sure what happens if you receive an LCD with a defective pixel. Does he pay return shipping? How long is the wait?

Here is a long thread if you want to see some opinions from others concerning the monitor: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Im reading on the other forum that there will be more lag with multiple ports but the shimian's have single inputs? What cables do you use to hook this up?

My Achieva is amazing and I was lucky enough to order it before red-cap raised his price.

I got the lite, no dead or stuck pixels and the stand seems sturdy. Only negative is the bezel is kind of thick and ugly on the lite versions.

My Achieva is amazing and I was lucky enough to order it before red-cap raised his price.

I got the lite, no dead or stuck pixels and the stand seems sturdy. Only negative is the bezel is kind of thick and ugly on the lite versions.

What cables do you use to hook it up and did they come with it or did you have to get an adapter?

Again, you use a DVI-D cable for the Shimian Lite and it should come with one (may depend on the seller). Beyond that you hook up the power cable, which it also comes with.

Again, you use a DVI-D cable for the Shimian Lite and it should come with one (may depend on the seller). Beyond that you hook up the power cable, which it also comes with.

Thank you sir. Any main difference between Catleap and Shimian performance wise? I know they have different stands and the like but any real difference?

Thank you sir. Any main difference between Catleap and Shimian performance wise? I know they have different stands and the like but any real difference?

I don't know much about the Catleap as I was looking for a no-frills LCD and am not picky about the stand, so I went with the Shimian Lite.

Seems red_cap is trying to claim that the manufacturer just recently raised prices. I offered $265 each for 3 monitors and he declined the offer even though he has recently accepted $270 per monitor. Oh well.

Well red_cap declined my offer of $270 and I agreed to buy three monitors. He keeps fluctuating, but I won't pay more than $270 a piece for one of these if I end up buying one (or three).

He told me the same thing, that the price was going up at the end of the month because the supply is getting low (I assume he meant that more people were interested, and thus supply isn't outstripping demand by leaps and bounds anymore.) Based on a monitor industry buddy's comments to me last week (which shouldn't be taken as fact) a few different companies are attempting to acquire the panels now. The hope (again, speculative) is that they can get a large quantity, manufacture a housing, work out any kinks in the supply line then have them out closer to the holidays with the advertising stating, "This is an Apple Cinema Display for $400 cheaper" (assuming they price it around $450 or so.) The product practically sells itself once that statement hits print advertising!

No clue about longevity.

I highly recommend picking one up! Between me and my friends we ordered 4, and all 4 panels are damn near perfect (if not actually perfect.) The only issue we had was one person received a Welltronics power supply that doesn't work properly. He's in the process of proposing either a swap/replacement or a few dollars back (like $25 or $30, based on current unit prices) so he can buy his own replacement. Being a good friend I am letting him borrow one of my Welltronics units until he gets a replacement in, which means one of my monitors is sitting dark. :(

My buddies and I also put in an order for 24AWG cables from Monoprice. I needed a 10ft long cable (the Shimian units we purchased all had 6ft long cables) anyways, so I decided to drop a few bucks and get enough cables so I don't have to redo my cable management every time I bring one of the monitors to a LAN party.

Since someone might ask, the cables we're purchasing are:

6ft 24AWG DVI-D (Dual-Link)
10ft 24AWG DVI-D (Dual-Link)

I specifically ordered from red-cap, but one of my buddies ordered from Dreamseller and had no issues. Based on the other threads around the internet Dreamseller, green-sum and red-cap are all pretty decent to work with. Bigclothcraft (I think his name is) is also pretty decent, but I think one guy had an issue getting a return processed in a timely fashion... it might be a one-off comment or an angry person who got dead pixels and wanted to vent, never know with the internet!

For example, [here] is a "pixel perfect" display (notice the $70 premium for this "perfection"). It states no defective pixels but I'm not sure what happens if you receive an LCD with a defective pixel. Does he pay return shipping? How long is the wait?

Here is a long thread if you want to see some opinions from others concerning the monitor: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

I highly recommend asking about the "perfect pixel" policy prior to spending more cash. I, again, don't remember which thread it was mentioned in, but several people indicated that the perfect pixel policy was a marketing gimmick designed to get you to pay more. Basically they mail you whatever standard stock they have (some are now cracking open the box just long enough to put a sheet of paper in there that says it was inspected) then if you receive it with no flaws the seller pockets the cash and you are none the wiser. If it does have dead pixels the seller apologizes profusely then offers a refund that will bring the cost in line with a non-perfect pixel policy monitor. It's win-win for the seller--he moves more product and provides you a fell-good statement about perfect pixels to entice you to pull the trigger. Once you have the monitor he's gambling that you won't cancel the order completely and mail the monitor back based on a few dead pixels, assuming you even get any.

Im reading on the other forum that there will be more lag with multiple ports but the shimian's have single inputs? What cables do you use to hook this up?

I don't know about the Catleap ones specifically, but with the Shimian units if you only have a DVI-D (dual-link) port on the back then there's no internal scaler board present. If there's no scaler then the input lag is as minimized as is possible, as it's essentially a video card->screen process with nearly nothing in-between other than the transmission medium. Other threads have discussed this as well, but if you have a scaler board (which is what is used if multiple inputs are available on the back of the monitor) then there's typically 1-2 frames of lag as the board converts the incoming image on-the-fly then sends it up for viewing on the panel. The numbers I have seen seem to indicate 20-30ms average latency, with several people weighing in opinion-wise (some saying it's higher and people are idiots, some saying it's negligible and also saying people are idiots.) Few, if any, people are indicating that the input lag is an issue for gaming.

What cables do you use to hook it up and did they come with it or did you have to get an adapter?

The box comes with a power brick, a Korean-style 3-prong plug and a DVI-D (dual-link) cable. Issues and general bullet points:

1) The power brick could be rated for 230V only. This happened to one of my buddies, and I think that's the brick some people have mentioned can have an issue. If you receive the Welltronics unit it's rated 100-220V input, which is fine (except see above, where one of my buddies received a dead Welltronics power supply.)
2) The DVI-D cables have been stated as being "not that great" by several forum members in various threads. I linked a few of the thicker DVI-D (dual-link) cables from Monoprice above, otherwise you can get a 28AWG one and as long as you stay below around 25ft it shouldn't be an issue. The thicker 24AWG is only needed on "long runs" (what constitutes a long run is somewhat speculative, but 25ft seems to be the point several websites list as the point where investing in a decent cable is justified.)
3) You will need a power cable for the power brick since the cable that comes with the unit is a Korean-style power cable. It's the same power cable you plug in to your PC's power supply, so if you have a spare you should be good. (Power Cable example)

Many aren't coming with a U.S. power cable, so you need to provide one. All of the 4 I have seen ordered (1 from dreamseller, 3 from red-cap) came with Korean-style plugs. It's very YMMV whether or not the seller puts the effort in to bundling a usable power connector.

Did you get the glass display or the tempered?

Does one or the other have more problems with dust getting underneath?

It's a complete random crapshoot--if you want the glass you will have the potential for there to be dust. I haven't seen a need for the glass on the two units I own, but I also prefer low-gloss/matte, if possible. The unit without tempered glass is the one I'd recommend--the glass doesn't really add anything to the unit IMO... glare is annoying!

Thank you so much for writing that detailed analysis. One final question about displays. It seems no one likes the tempered glass because of glare. So it seems the two displays that are the cheapest, come with the right cables, and have a good display are:

Shimian - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA..._Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8#ht_10671wt_1102

and

Catleap - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS..._Monitors&hash=item20c4a6829d#ht_36516wt_1102

It seems most people are going for the Shimian so I am leaning more towards that one. But if I were to decide between either, these would be the two everyone is talking about?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for writing that detailed analysis. One final question about displays. It seems no one likes the tempered glass because of glare. So it seems the two displays that are the cheapest, come with the right cables, and have a good display are:

Catleap - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA..._Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8#ht_10671wt_1102

and

Shimian - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS..._Monitors&hash=item20c4a6829d#ht_36516wt_1102

It seems most people are going for the Shimian so I am leaning more towards that one. But if I were to decide between either, these would be the two everyone is talking about?

u got both links mixed up

I wish they came with option of wall mount.

For a $2 difference, I would go with a Catleap just because I don't use wall mounts so the nicer stand is worth the $2. Of course, you could buy a Shimian for $300 from red-cap and it comes with all the stuff except for a US power cable, like Tytalus stated. Still, I'd probably pay the extra $10 for the Catleap.

Many aren't coming with a U.S. power cable, so you need to provide one. All of the 4 I have seen ordered (1 from dreamseller, 3 from red-cap) came with Korean-style plugs. It's very YMMV whether or not the seller puts the effort in to bundling a usable power connector.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant the power cable that plugs into the monitor and not the wall. Yes, most people have to obtain their own US power cable that connects to an outlet. Thankfully we all have at least a dozen of those laying around. :) I think green-sum may actually include one if you ask him.

For a $2 difference, I would go with a Catleap just because I don't use wall mounts so the nicer stand is worth the $2. Of course, you could buy a Shimian for $300 from red-cap and it comes with all the stuff except for a US power cable, like Tytalus stated. Still, I'd probably pay the extra $10 for the Catleap.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant the power cable that plugs into the monitor and not the wall. Yes, most people have to obtain their own US power cable that connects to an outlet. Thankfully we all have at least a dozen of those laying around. :) I think green-sum may actually include one if you ask him.

With the catleap, you said you only have an on/off and a brightness adjuster for buttons. How do you change the colors on it? I saw a few people with rather green looking monitors and I am wondering how they were adjust it. Are there special programs to do that for you?

With the catleap, you said you only have an on/off and a brightness adjuster for buttons. How do you change the colors on it? I saw a few people with rather green looking monitors and I am wondering how they were adjust it. Are there special programs to do that for you?

I said with the Shimian Lite you only have those buttons.

There are calibrators that can be purchased. I think Windows also has color management options.

Ebay says mine has shipped and DHL is the carrier. I really hate dhl . I thought redcap used fedex "=(

Ebay says mine has shipped and DHL is the carrier. I really hate dhl . I thought redcap used fedex "=(

Don't use eBay's tracker, your monitor will be there and it'll still say "Shipping". Copy the tracking number and use DHL's website!

It should not be an issue mine was also sent via DHL and it went from Korea to PHX,AZ in 72 hours.

It should not be an issue mine was also sent via DHL and it went from Korea to PHX,AZ in 72 hours.

It actually says its on a plane to seatac. thats pretty freakin close. I might see it tomorrow.

Back