27" iMac displayport Input

Nice post...Greatly appreciated!!!
smileyhappy.ico

I'd suggest buying from Amazon over newegg because they always take stuff back no questions asked when I've submitted return requests. No restocking fees either. (It's where I bought the Atlona DP400 which they picked up for return on Monday).

Seconded, Amazon's service is much better than Newegg's. I buy pretty much everything from them now.

Whats the cheapest card that will be able to handle 2x 27" cinemadisplay?

Reading page 1-5 and the last couple of pages, everyone seems to be raving about how to get a PC to work on it....

My question is, was a method of Xbox or PS3 to iMac resolved? is there a cheaper way other than the Belkin $150 converter accessory? I have a mid-2010 iMac 27"....

Thanks guys...

Did anything change with the video card compatibility when the iMac got refreshed this summer? Considering getting one and it would be nice to not have to replace my 5770 to use it on my PC if I wanted to.

Can the brightness settings on an iMac 27" be changed on a PC?

I've read at Anandtech that with the new LED Cinema 27", brightness settings on the monitor require Boot Camp and cannot be modified on a PC. However, I saw posts here that the LED Cinema 24" brightness settings could be changed on a PC by using an Apple keyboard. Does this same trick work with the ACD27"?

Last edited:
Can the brightness settings on an iMac 27" be changed on a PC?

I've read at Anandtech that with the new LED Cinema 27", brightness settings on the monitor require Boot Camp and cannot be modified on a PC. However, I saw posts here that the LED Cinema 24" brightness settings could be changed on a PC by using an Apple keyboard. Does this same trick work with the ACD27"?

When using a 27" iMac in target display mode, the thing to note is that the computer part of the iMac is on. You do not adjust brightness with the PC, you adjust brightness through the brightness controls on the keyboard that is plugged into the iMac.

That and command-F2 to switch between iMac display and target display mode are the only keystrokes you need to know when you are using the iMac to display from another source.

Is there a master list of cards that *do* work with the 27" iMac? I'm thinking about giving up on the 5870 and switching to another card.

Is there a master list of cards that *do* work with the 27" iMac? I'm thinking about giving up on the 5870 and switching to another card.

These work:

1) Radeon Eyefinity cards all seem to work .... advanced switching technology
2) Radeon 5900s with mini displayport
3) Radeon 4000 series with displayport ( use a mini displayport to displayport cable)
4) Radeon 3000 series with displayport ( use a mini displayport to displayport cable)

SAPPHIRE HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE with Eyefinity looks like a goer for the money.
99% sure this will work.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=496

Last edited:
I ordered a SAPPHIRE 6850. Crossing my fingers that it will work with my Cinema Display and mini DP to DP adapter. My 5770 didn't work. :(

I am happy to confirm that the Sapphire 6850 works with the 27" Apple Cinema Display with the StarTech mini-DP to DP adapter.

hum that's a good news.
I have just a cable, displayport to miniDp, I hope it works too.

but if your adapter works with your 6850 and not with your 5770, it's a sign :)

I am happy to confirm that the Sapphire 6850 works with the 27" Apple Cinema Display with the StarTech mini-DP to DP adapter.

Doesn't the AMD 6850 comes with mini Displayports already? So why did you still use that startech adapter?

Doesn't the AMD 6850 comes with mini Displayports already? So why did you still use that startech adapter?

The 6850 has a standard DisplayPort output. (The 6870 has 2 mini-DP outputs.) I know the 6850 reference indicates 2 mini-DP outputs, but either the reference was changed, or no manufacturer is putting out a reference 6850. They all have one standard DP, one HDMI, and two DVI.

I have some issues with the sound :), my HDMI output is plug into my amplifier Yamaha and the iMac with the DP off course.
I didn't find the tips for switch hdmi to DP output. Make the displayport primary? not workd for me.
The last time I get sound I was just lucky

(sorry for my english, I'm french)

I apologize if I missed it (went back 3 pages or so), has anyone confirmed the 6870 works on the 27" iMac screen???

I have some issues with the sound :), my HDMI output is plug into my amplifier Yamaha and the iMac with the DP off course.
I didn't find the tips for switch hdmi to DP output. Make the displayport primary? not workd for me.
The last time I get sound I was just lucky

(sorry for my english, I'm french)

I really can't recommend using audio over HDMI then using DisplayPort for video. It can work but it is extremely difficult to get it to work reliably.

With ATI cards it is almost impossible. Everytime you power off your receiver you may very well spend 30 minutes screwing with it to get it working. With Nvidia cards it isn't as bad, but still far from stable.

After about 6 months of trying to use HDMI audio this way I eventually gave up and went back to an analog card. It just wasn't worth the hassle and stress.

Rather disappointed that Zotac didn't include a DisplayPort output on their GTX580. :(

I have a MSI 5970 and a cable from monoprice and I have a similar problem when starting up my PC "cold."

When I have this problem I shut down the PC, disconnect the displayport cable, and then start up the PC with my DVI monitor connected. I wait until it has booted into Windows (or the Windows login appears) then connect the displayport cable to the iMac and this works every time.

I was hoping today's iMac firmware would have fixed this "cold start" target display mode problem for me but it doesn't seem to have. Curiously if I reboot my PC when in target display mode it reboots fine and target display mode isn't lost. It's only when the PC has been off for a while that it won't kick off target display mode when turned on.

As an update to this post I made back in April, I no longer have the "cold start" fan spinup issue using my 5970 and the iMac 27" in target display mode. I can only assume this was fixed in one of the recent catalyst driver releases or maybe an OS X update as I haven't played with any new firmware for the video card nor changed the cable. Unfortunately I can't be sure exactly when this was fixed as I had made such a habit of popping the cable out when starting up the PC that I've only just noticed by chance that it now starts up fine with the cable connected.

Back