27 Dual-Bay NAS Round-Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at Hardware.Info have rounded-up over two dozen dual-bay NAS devices and put them to the test this morning.

NAS devices are the all-in-one kitchen appliance, the jack of all trades of the home network. They can do one thing, they can do many things, and often you don't even need all of the features. While it's great to own a £350 top-of-the-line model, it doesn't mean it's the best solution to your needs. For a lot less money you can buy a versatile NAS that stores files, manages your back-ups and lets you share data over your own network and the internet.

bunch of overpriced pieces of poopoo

ok, there are some that are priced pretty well, but not many!

bunch of overpriced pieces of poopoo

ok, there are some that are priced pretty well, but not many!

Yep! I'd love something with a small form factor, but the prices they want to charge are just stupid! No thanks, I'll take an old case, old hardware, and build one myself!

Why not recycle your old PC into a NAS. I have free NAS with 18TB of drives in it and can afford to drive failures and continue to run. Great system and wasn't much more than some of these.

NAS has lower power usage over an old PC, and PC is huge if you put more HDDs in side, so unless you put into your basement, a lot of people would go with a small NAS box, I'm using 2.5 hdd in my ds411slim, the performance is not that good but it's tiny and low noise, I have it next to my desktop computer and it sitting there for almost three years now, it only draws ~18w.

I agree with Twingo, and I have had both homebrew and now a Synology. The DSM OS is just a great and solid platform. I like the small footprint and low power cost, my old Naslite box used 8x the power and was huge in comparison.

2 bays...
I guess I'm one of the few that is looking for 10s of Terabytes of storage.

Very happy with my Synology DS412+

While yes building something myself would be a little cheaper, it would use more power too and would require configuring FreeNAS or something else & it would still not do everything that I want to do as easily as the Synology can do it. DSM is awesome.

Also, hot swappable enclosures for drives are pricey. The cheap ones have poor cooling and are (from reviews) built very crappily. Everything added up, might as well use the Synology and I'm happy I did. Also a NAS appliance uses less juice than a regular desktop.

Two-bay NASs really don't make that much sense to me. Assuming you're using 4TB drives, looking at an 8tb setup with 2x reads and 2x writes (and if a drive goes bad you lose everything), or a 4tb setup with 2x reads and 1x writes (and a single drive can be lost & not lose any data). Really gotta step up to a 4-bay NAS. RAID10 is great!

Back