27 Best Movies About Hacking

Presumably it's the best movies that involve hacking as a plot/subplot, not necessarily the best portrayal of hacking in movies. Because I love Sneakers dearly, but it's hacking is a bit laughable.

Meh, that was an ok list.....how tron got in there IDK....and some of them don't even make sense of what they had to do with anything....

What, no Blackhat? It actually treats the subject matter a little realistically, albeit with an overly convoluted plot.

Antitrust was hilarious, so I'm glad to see that on there.

Might as well include this one:

unix-jurassic-park.jpeg

A more appropriate title would be...

"27 Movies we liked that also had something vaguely similar to or mentioned hacking in them at some point"

Sneakers was an excellent movie. One of my favorites.

Some of them didn't really seem like hacker movies. Some were more comedies than hacking (especially if you have any knowledge of a computer!).

While I never thought of most of them add hacker movies I definitely like Office and 13th Floor.

WarGames started the entire concept of computer hacking in movies and since it's not #1 on the list (no, even 2nd place is wrong) then I just have to dismiss the entire thing. And I mean really, Office Space? I love the movie but get the fuck out with it being on a hacking movie list of any kind whatsoever, good lord.

And yes I'm aware this is ZDNet doing the list, as if they've ever known Jack Shit about computing anyway. ;)

Uggg Zdnet..... that list is bullshit. Almost none are about hacking at all!! And as already mentioned, how in the hell did they miss The Net ???
I clicked it so I guess they got what they needed.

Uggg Zdnet..... that list is bullshit. Almost none are about hacking at all!! And as already mentioned, how in the hell did they miss The Net ???
I clicked it so I guess they got what they needed.

I was wondering the same thing. Where is The Net.

Why didn't Kung Fury make it on the list!? .. I mean .. the dude hacks time for crying out loud!

Sneakers was an excellent movie. One of my favorites.

Some of them didn't really seem like hacker movies. Some were more comedies than hacking (especially if you have any knowledge of a computer!).

Probably my number one movie on my top 5. Dying for a Blu-Ray remaster.

I'm a big fan of Michael Mann's movies, which have included titles like Heat, Collateral, The Insider, and Manhunter. Then I heard he was doing a film where the guy who played Thor plays a superhacker offered a free pass from prison if he works with some special people. Sounded dumb as shit.

I watched it. And like all his other movies, Mann used people who knew what they were talking about. They didn't make up pseudolanguage. They discussed actual exploits and spoofing techniques. He used linux prompts and typed commands that worked. The most inaccurate thing in the movie was an IP address that had numbers over 255. And it was actually really well-acted, particularly by the supporting cast. The direction was good. The ending was a tad anticlimactic but it worked. It's fantastic. It's called Blackhat and was panned, but I have no idea why.

Ugh.

This list was bad, and they should feel bad. Office Space is #1? Come on now. No Pirates of Silicon Valley? No Real Genius? No Enemy of the State?

most of those are not really hacking but social engineering... finding out that company only pays tech support just above minium wage and offering them a better job, or random amount of money, or a date with there dream date... that last is because of the scene in sneakers told immoral people that a dream date would be worth more than money in some cases. Half the time they do not even pay their suckers, they simply get them to commit a crime selling people personal data then blackmail them for more info until they get caught them laugh and them and find another sucker, because most companies could care less if your personal data is in the wrong hands unless someone else makes money on it. war games was cool because that is really how people hacked at the start of the internet age, they simply dialed random sites they found on list serves and bbc or bulletin boards you dialed into. I used to dial into the stuff until I dialed into a some site, that they told me I got off a warning but to stay away from infrastructure, municipal, banking, construction data bases, a funny hello in one of those over writing a building schematic, a transaction or what ever could get some one fired from their job or worse killed. If you hacked into Microsoft or IBM they offered you a job to improve their security. Usually it was about twenty grand and was to basically keep blocking the holes posted on the hacking sites. Most people where really just virtually spray painting their name on the top floor of building where the system admins could see it and as long as the hole was still open they could show their friends... social engineering is not the same thing it is about making money and exploiting other people's labor. Most of the hacking used to funny and showed busy system admins what they needed to fix to prevent another company from getting access to shared documents and making money off the company's labor. Thus it usually helped the companies find the holes before the criminal elements figured out that they could make money by stealing it virtually. You will not find any of my old hacker handles on lists of arrest for theft because like most kids playing on the internet back in the late eighties we grew up knowing not to steal. Sure their were idiots like minot who got caught because in order for the money to go from the victim to the crook their has to path of hands that held it. Sure he may be making money now but he was not able to play with computers for what twenty five years... as smart as he was he could have been working for companies along the way and made money on the movies that made fun of him. like say the movie with the swimming pool on the roof...
sure I did stupid stuff but when he was staring at the wall wishing he was online I was out dating women. I mean seriously where in the movies he made is that the guy was not allowed anywhere with a tv in it? Every club I went to had an electronic mixing table or jute box. Every bar had a TV in it. Hacking is fun but most of us simply changed the url to see if their were any public directories then went up the directories using the dot dot command while in the system as authorized user and would simply copy the root directory using a make command or xcopy program then spent hours looking through it for something that had the password in plain text. Most people did not put important stuff on web accessible computers because internally stuff was stored in plain text because if the hard drive crashed or failed you did not want to lose more data than you had to. Now every one had to double and triple encrypt it so that some one does not one day decide to simply walk into the server room with a back pack and walk out with what ever assets the company owns. It's crazy. You have to destroy your hard drives or carry them around until you do because it is too easy for someone to go in with a device and simply create an image of what the magnetic particles look like on the drive. now hackers hack people's personally computers to sell the data because business are too hard to hack if they are more than small time mom and pop type business just trying to survive in a digital age. Those are the targets most script kiddies attack with malicious logic... it is really sad no wonder there are movies trying to make them look like rock stars. lol.

I am going to have to hack into the mainframe to bypass the security system. This might take a while....

******15 seconds later*******

I'M, IN!!

I stopped reading the thing when the first two were considered acceptable because they had young attractive stars. After that point I figured anything else was a waste of time.

List is bogus. Its missing the The Net, Enemy of the State, and by their logic, the list is missing Chappie as well.

TV shows are a *little* better at depicting hacking. The Good Wife sticks out, which is more tech savvy than most dramas.

You know I was watching Running Man......and since that has this scene....
775284186906715057.png

Counts as hacking...right?

Back