27" 2560x1440 auria at microcenter

Mtt83

Limp Gawd
I haven't been able to find too much about this monitor, but from what I could find it appears to be the same panels used in the monitors that everyone is buying on ebay (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I picked one up this morning and it is gorgeous. It does native 2560x1440 resolution out of the box with the included dual-link DVI cable. It has a display port input as well if you want to go that route. And, just like those other monitors, it doesn't have ugly anti-glare coating!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

I was hesitant about gambling on the Korean monitors so for a tad extra and guaranteed to not have pixel issues (since I can take it back locally) $400 for one of these was a good compromise to me.

It looks pretty darn good out of the box, but if anyone gets one of these calibrated, do share!

**As a side note: I'm happy enough with this monitor that I took a 10 min break from Diablo 3 to post this!

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find too much about this monitor, but from what I could find it appears to be the same panels used in the monitors that everyone is buying on ebay (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I picked one up this morning and it is gorgeous. It does native 2560x1440 resolution out of the box with the included dual-link DVI cable. It has a display port input as well if you want to go that route. And, just like those other monitors, it doesn't have ugly anti-glare coating!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

I was hesitant about gambling on the Korean monitors so for a tad extra and guaranteed to not have pixel issues (since I can take it back locally) $400 for one of these was a good compromise to me.

It looks pretty darn good out of the box, but if anyone gets one of these calibrated, do share!

**As a side note: I'm happy enough with this monitor that I took a 10 min break from Diablo 3 to post this!

Nice, any pics of it in action?

This thread makes me so happy! It'll be a little while before I can get one, but the addition of not having to deal with overseas sellers and the inclusion of display port make this seem like the perfect monitor for me. I hope that this signals the start of higher resolution displays (the other boot dropping will happen is Apple and to a lesser extent Asus releasing their 1080p+ displays).

Very tempted to go take a look at this monitor. The local MC has 4 in stock. Would be nice if they had one on display or could hook one up to test it out.

I was just at my local microcenter, they had 4 but were in the back... i wanted to see it in person :(

I wanna see what others think of it first to see if its worth buying for 400+tax

Rage3D discussion from this post onwards: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336925677#post1336925677

I wonder if the refresh rate is overclockable, and if so, how high will it go...

I was just at my local microcenter, they had 4 but were in the back... i wanted to see it in person :(

I wanna see what others think of it first to see if its worth buying for 400+tax
It'll be like the other multi-input Korean monitors people have been buying the past few months. Buying it in store with a decent return policy should make it pretty painless. Hold onto the box and receipt just in case and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for creating this thread, I was going to last night seeing if anyone had any experience with this yet. On Microcenter's website, it says that it doesn't support HDCP, can you try some Movies with the monitor to see if there's any issue with that?

Actually, I guess I don't know what falls under the realm of HDCP support. Would you have to hook up a stand-alone blu-ray/dvd player to the HDMI input and see if it plays? Or would you get zero picture at all from an HDCP compliant video card, if the monitor didn't support it?

Someone in the thread at Rage3D said it does support HDCP over DVI. I would assume that means it's supported over HDMI and DisplayPort as well.

Also, full 2560x1440 is supported over DVI.

Someone in the thread at Rage3D said it does support HDCP over DVI. I would assume that means it's supported over HDMI and DisplayPort as well.

Also, full 2560x1440 is supported over DVI.

Great to hear! I'll definitely be picking this monitor up soon, then. :)

if you buy it make sure you buy the ext warranty. Auria is almost impossible to contact for warranty. Also check the box before you leave to make sure everything is in the box. Auria likes to forget to include everything

if you buy it make sure you buy the ext warranty. Auria is almost impossible to contact for warranty. Also check the box before you leave to make sure everything is in the box. Auria likes to forget to include everything

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I think I will. MC Warranty deals seem to be pretty fair, so I'd be fine with that. :)

...in that Rage3D discussion that their calling it a 10bit display, I highly doubt it is but most people here won't be missing out on anything anyway. It's probably 8bit + FRC which would be a good thing imho.
Can OP comment on whether this monitor exhibits the 10-bit/wide gamut over-saturation?

Can OP comment on whether this monitor exhibits the 10-bit/wide gamut over-saturation?

8/10-bit and wide gamut are two different things.

"The colour depth of a TFT monitor is related to how many colours it can produce and should not be confused with colour space (gamut)"
- From TFT Central

99% sure it's wide gamut so of course the colours will be over saturated and I highly doubt these have a decent sRGB mode.

99% sure it's wide gamut so of course the colours will be over saturated and I highly doubt these have a decent sRGB mode.

What makes you think that? None of the other Korean monitors were wide gamut.

I'm pretty sure there are 2 wide gamut Korean monitors with the same specs (1.07 billion colours and 10bit), but they have not been popular. Also I can't think of any other sRGB IPS panels that have been advertised to support 1.07 billion colours..

I'm pretty sure there are 2 wide gamut Korean monitors with the same specs (1.07 billion colours and 10bit), but they have not been popular. Also I can't think of any other sRGB IPS panels that have been advertised to support 1.07 billion colours..

http://www.hazro.co.uk/HZ27WD.php

That's an example of a 10-bit monitor that only covers 72% NTSC. Now they do also have the HZ27WB, which is 10-bit and 110% NTSC, but my point is they do exist, and for $400 you probably aren't getting wide gamut, but someone with the monitor would have to confirm this.

I'm pretty sure there are 2 wide gamut Korean monitors with the same specs (1.07 billion colours and 10bit)
Yeah the multi-input models seem to use the 10-bit panels, which made me hesitant.

8/10-bit and wide gamut are two different things.
I debated about equating 10-bit with wide-gamut, I had just never seen a panel that wasn't both.

With multi-input (and DP!) at less than the Korean multis, this is pretty sick. Might have to pick one up tomorrow and find out myself.

Pick one up please, and let us know how it is for gaming compared to the popular Dell and Catleap monitors.

I'll look for this on my lunch break. I'm not very happy with how slow things are at 120Hz.net, so it would be nice to do something to fill my time lol.

Will Single-Link DVI drive 2560x1440? Only recently have I become aware that AMD gave the reference 5870's Single Link DVI. A little nervous about Display Port with this card as well, because it's been sketchy with Apple Cinema Display (though that was DP to Mini-DP), I don't know whether DP will place nice between this card and monitor.

I plan on upgrading the card, soon. But am hoping that it will work fine with my current hardware, as well.

HDMI can't drive this monitor at full res, right?

Dual link is REQUIRED for 2560x1440 at 60hz. I'm pretty sure the 5870 has dual DVI ports doesn't it?

Dual link is REQUIRED for 2560x1440 at 60hz. I'm pretty sure the 5870 has dual DVI ports doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. At least the reference ones don't. I can't get my Samsung 2333T to run @ 75Hz because of the single link DVI limitation on these cards. To this day, I'm baffled as to why AMD wouldn't put Dual Link DVI ports on their (at the time) flagship card. The obvious answer was to save on cost, but really, how much would they be saving per card? A couple cents? Certainly margins aren't that thin.

EDIT: I mis-read your post. The card does have 2 DVI ports on it, does the monitor have 2 DVI inputs? Is that what you meant? :)

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. At least the reference ones don't. I can't get my Samsung 2333T to run @ 75Hz because of the single link DVI limitation on these cards. To this day, I'm baffled as to why AMD wouldn't put Dual Link DVI ports on their (at the time) flagship card. The obvious answer was to save on cost, but really, how much would they be saving per card? A couple cents? Certainly margins aren't that thin.

EDIT: I mis-read your post. The card does have 2 DVI ports on it, does the monitor have 2 DVI inputs? Is that what you meant? :)

Having had an XFX 5870, it has two dual-link dvi connectors as do all reference 5870.

Having had an XFX 5870, it has two dual-link dvi connectors as do all reference 5870.

This is what I was getting at. I remember owning a 5870 and using my Samsung 120hz monitor with it (which requires dual link DVI for proper bandwidth).

Well, I'm getting mixed answers on this then. People with nVidia cards and 6xxx series ATI cards are able to run my monitor at 75Hz, while my card cannot get it to go past 67Hz. Most of the info I'm quoting is coming from the Samsung 2333T Monitor thread. So, perhaps it's wrong. The conclusions made sense, though.

I'm hoping you're right, as I don't want to have any issues with this monitor when hooking it up.

Either way, I'll find out. I apologize for bringing this thread into digression from the monitor and onto my video card.

Got one, it definitely does not have the wide gamut ultra-saturation.

comments here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038740771
This is good news.

Just a trivial thought for me at this point, but i wonder if it's a 10bit panel with standard gamut, or if it's actually 8bit + FRC (mislabeled?). Going by testimony here it appears to be the former, but if the visual results are nice then i could care less either way because this stuff is over my head :p

The biggest difference it seems between the older generation of these Korean 1440p monitors and the newer "gold" multi-input one is contrast. The new one NCX just got has really good contrast (easily superior to the previous generation) so that's worth noting if contrast is important to you.

...i wonder if it's a 10bit panel with standard gamut, or if it's actually 8bit + FRC (mislabeled?).
I've also wondered about this with the HP zr2740w - specs say - Up to 1.07 billion colors ** Display of up to 1.07 billion colors on ZR2740w requires use of DisplayPort input with 10-bit content** - but it obviously isn't displaying the same color range as, say, the zr30w. However HP is defining "1.07 billion colors," I'd say the Auria is similar.

The biggest difference it seems between the older generation of these Korean 1440p monitors and the newer "gold" multi-input one is contrast. The new one NCX just got has really good contrast (easily superior to the previous generation) so that's worth noting if contrast is important to you.
If i'm reading you right it sounds like you're referring to the older models with scalers, or whatever model NCX bought his first time around (i forget which model), and that the newer GOLD models with scalers are improved, definitely a good thing.

There were others who measured the contrast on the base model Catleap with DVI input, they also had good results if i remember right, between 950-1000:1 contrast, 2.2 gamma, good default color temps but leaning towards red slightly. I think ToastyX was one of them, unfortunately i didn't bookmark the posts and i'm sure they are buried by now. But as mentioned earlier, there is some variance between these individual monitors (single input, A- panels).

Last edited:
i have attempted to overclock and it seems to be a no-go. i am a newb when it comes to overclocking a monitor, but using toastyx's tool cru.exe, i can only get up to 67 Hz. i also tried the latest powerstrip with no luck. if there are any other tools or tests anyone wants me to try, let me know.

Just letting you guys know. This is a clone of the PCBank PB2700 Monitor. I know cuz I own it and EVERYTHING on this monitor is the same, sans logo.

If you are wondering how well it OC's don't expect to go past 65hz.

EDIT: aaaand I just realized I revived a dead thread. Sorry.

Don't apologize - I did not know of this monitor until today, and my local microcenter has 10 in stock. I just might buy one on the way home from work..

Extremely excited to pick one of these up, was about to pull the trigger on the perfect pixel crossover but this looks like a much safer bet as I can have them test for pixel or lighting issues in the shop!

Just picked one of these up yesterday, and compared to my ancient Gateway FHD2400, this thing is amazing and costs less than what I paid for that about 5 years ago! No dead or stuck pixels, but it does have some backlight bleed in the lower right hand corner. Not sure how much I care about it since I don't spend most days looking at all black scenes/images. Think I'll just be happy with the perfect pixels.

Back