27'' 1440p 144hz - Do I need Gsync?

topslop1

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a 27'' 1440p with 144hz refresh rate.

Do I or should I get a monitor with Gsync?

Would like to spend $500-$600 for this monitor. Possible for one with Gsync?

Thanks.

The Dell 27" 1440p/144hz Gsync monitor is on Amazon right now for $450. I have had mine for about a year now and enjoy it.

I'd rather go IPS without gsync than TN with gsync. What models should I be looking at? Going to assume the Dell is a TN.

/

How good is gsync? TN panel with Gsync > IPS without? Mainly gaming here but I love some good color.

Last edited:
Color is subjective. I have friends who happily game on TN panels with nvidia digital vibrance cranked up to absurd levels because that's what's pleasing to them. Anyways whether or not gsync is worth it to you, you simply have to try it for yourself. Watching demo videos on gsync isn't the same as experiencing it in person.

the high refresh rate 27" TNs have excellent color for TN (check tftcentral); my PG278Q is nearly identical to my QX2710 in color and iirc the S2716DG uses the same panel as the PG278Q.

to be honest, no one should be considering IPS for anything other than professional color critical work. IPS doesn't make sense for games with its increased motion blur versus TN nor does it make sense for tv/movies with its dark-scene-ruining glow versus VA's deep blacks.

with all that being said, i would check out Samsung's SVA 144 Hz screens if you want ideal picture quality OR the PG278Q/S2716DG for ideal motion clarity (or even the 240 Hz PG258Q if you don't mind smaller screen and lower res, and really if you intend on being competitive you should stick to smaller screens). currently you can't have both. the SVA screens have uncharacteristically excellent response times for VA, but none of them come with G-SYNC and i don't think they have a 1440p 144+ Hz model either.

TNs are nice nowadays, I had a Dell, but next to an IPS it looks washed out. I got a Acer xb271hu with gsync and it's awesome.

If you have a powerful enough GPU I don't think it matters much at all. I have a MG279Q paired with a GTX 1080 and I don't notice any tearing at all but I am usually over 144 FPS.

We'll I just replaced my IPS VP2770 with a 2703-gs, which has Gsync and IPS and the PQ is stunning. Playing fps at 100fps+ with no tearing and no lag is just beautiful. No ghosting either.

the high refresh rate 27" TNs have excellent color for TN (check tftcentral); my PG278Q is nearly identical to my QX2710 in color and iirc the S2716DG uses the same panel as the PG278Q.

to be honest, no one should be considering IPS for anything other than professional color critical work. IPS doesn't make sense for games with its increased motion blur versus TN nor does it make sense for tv/movies with its dark-scene-ruining glow versus VA's deep blacks.

with all that being said, i would check out Samsung's SVA 144 Hz screens if you want ideal picture quality OR the PG278Q/S2716DG for ideal motion clarity (or even the 240 Hz PG258Q if you don't mind smaller screen and lower res, and really if you intend on being competitive you should stick to smaller screens). currently you can't have both. the SVA screens have uncharacteristically excellent response times for VA, but none of them come with G-SYNC and i don't think they have a 1440p 144+ Hz model either.

The Dell S2417DG is a 24" 1440p 144hz (165hz OC) TN screen with G-Sync that is worth considering. The 25" 1080P 240hz screens all seem to be $500-600 which feels crazy to me - I get why they exist but jeez.

Also, the S2417DG can often be found for under $400 - it's one of the lowest priced G-Sync screens available. Maybe get one for gaming and another monitor for other things...

I'd rather go IPS without gsync than TN with gsync. What models should I be looking at? Going to assume the Dell is a TN.

/

How good is gsync? TN panel with Gsync > IPS without? Mainly gaming here but I love some good color.

I would go with Gsync no matter what. The smoothness of no tearing or stuttering with no additional input lag is huge.

Even if you get over 144 fps it's better to cap it at 142 and use Gsync. It looks better and feels better.

I have a 1080ti and 1440p 144hz Gsync.
With newer titles you can't completely max them out and get 144 fps. So Gsync makes an even bigger difference for those games.

I would go with Gsync no matter what. The smoothness of no tearing or stuttering with no additional input lag is huge.

Even if you get over 144 fps it's better to cap it at 142 and use Gsync. It looks better and feels better.

I have a 1080ti and 1440p 144hz Gsync.
With newer titles you can't completely max them out and get 144 fps. So Gsync makes an even bigger difference for those games.
138 is the highest frame rate cap that blur-busters tested and found to prevent input lag with gsync on 144 Hz screens, 140 or higher had input lag. that was back in 2014 though, so if there have been any new tests i'm not aware of them.

138 is the highest frame rate cap that blur-busters tested and found to prevent input lag with gsync on 144 Hz screens, 140 or higher had input lag. that was back in 2014 though, so if there have been any new tests i'm not aware of them.

There have been if you check the forums. 142 cap using Riva tuner seems to be the best. I usually set it to 140 or lower in game too depending on how much the game fluctuates.

I wouldn't buy a high refresh rate monitor without VRR support - whether that's G-Sync or FreeSync.
Games run much smoother, input lag is minimal, and you don't have to deal with screen tearing.
G-Sync monitors are actually lower latency than CRTs when you factor in V-Sync.

With a fixed 144Hz display you have to decide between input lag or tearing, and games are only smooth if you lock them to 144, 72, 48, or 36 FPS with V-Sync.
If the framerate drops or fluctuates you get stuttering on a fixed refresh rate display.

They just posted an article a few days ago: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

Back