2600K RMA. How is Intel on RMA's?

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
Well it looks like my CPU died. Checked every other component. I RMA'd my old board got a new one as well. Anyone have any experience with Intel and RMA'ing a processor?

I don't have the stock HSF anymore, but I do have the original box. Will that be a problem? From what I've read, they either give you the run around about missing HSF's and boxes, or they are super cooperative and just approve the RMA.

Any thoughts?

I do know at one time that you were required to give them a number (serial number?) off of the HSF and that it was necessary or they would not issue an RMA. I don't think that this is the case anymore, but I could be wrong. The last time that I had to return an Intel CPU was maybe seven years ago but from what I recall I had to just provide information that was on the CPU itself. It never hurts to keep the box and HSF, even if you aren't going to use it, for just this reason. I think that you should be ok either way. I've never had a problem with their phone support with getting an RMA and I want to say that you can get an RMA online as well. It has been a long time though so that may not be the case with getting one online.

I do know at one time that you were required to give them a number (serial number?) off of the HSF and that it was necessary or they would not issue an RMA. I don't think that this is the case anymore, but I could be wrong. The last time that I had to return an Intel CPU was maybe seven years ago but from what I recall I had to just provide information that was on the CPU itself. It never hurts to keep the box and HSF, even if you aren't going to use it, for just this reason. I think that you should be ok either way. I've never had a problem with their phone support with getting an RMA and I want to say that you can get an RMA online as well. It has been a long time though so that may not be the case with getting one online.

My 3 year old managed to get ahold of my box, with HSF, and now it's gone. :p I normally keep boxes for everything for cases like this. Where do you go to do the online RMA? Everything I've found on their site says I have to call customer service to do an RMA....

Overall the RMA process is fairly easy. If there is a question about if a product is under warranty they will ask for a copy of the receipt. Right now we do not have an online RMA processor for non-resellers. So you can reach them at 916-377-7000.

no issues at all with intel RMA's.. all they asked for was a receipt.. most of the time they didnt even ask for that.

Next day aired me a replacement as long as I paid $15.

I did the online chat with tech support earlier. So far things are going ok. I gave all the info, and was told the warranty validation tool(?) was down, and that he'd verify the info within a few minutes and send me the email with all the shipping and RMA info. That was around 10 a.m. I contacted them again about an hour ago, and they said it takes up to 24 hours to verify the warranty. So now I'm just waiting on that.

Bought it in January, so not worried about the warranty being out. They didn't ask for a receipt or anything to help verify it quicker....

Do they offer an advanced RMA option or anything like Asus does on Motherboards?

What do you think killed the cpu? Did you give it a crap ton of voltage at any point during its life? Really just wondering.

Do they offer an advanced RMA option or anything like Asus does on Motherboards?

I thought only western digital offered this

Last edited:
Yeah haven't heard much of these die, elaborate on what you did to it?

I dislike the assumption that I must have done something to it, since no processor has ever died unless it was from user error. :rolleyes:

But for your information, the processor was never even overclocked. It was kept in a very well cooled and ventilated case. I played a few games, but not many lately. No video decoding or torture testing. Oh, and I was reading the news when it died. Shouldn't have pushed it so hard. :cool:

Last edited:
That sucks, since I'm all for that assumption. 99% (yes I threw a percentage out there) of these processors don't go bad so quickly. Considering this is an unlocked current generation flagship processor, is it really that insulting to you that people might assume you there's a chance you gave it too much voltage?...even if you didn't.

I did the online chat with tech support earlier. So far things are going ok. I gave all the info, and was told the warranty validation tool(?) was down, and that he'd verify the info within a few minutes and send me the email with all the shipping and RMA info. That was around 10 a.m. I contacted them again about an hour ago, and they said it takes up to 24 hours to verify the warranty. So now I'm just waiting on that.

Bought it in January, so not worried about the warranty being out. They didn't ask for a receipt or anything to help verify it quicker....

I had to RMA my 2500k a few months back and they do offer advanced replacement for $25 IIRC. Very painless proceedure.

People are asking if you blew it because these don't die often and people would like to learn the fail points on these.

It has nothing to do with your ability or inability to appropriately manage the install, over clock, etc... Stuff happens and we like to know those details so we can learn to push these properly and how to avoid points of failure.

Don't take offense. If you blew it cool. Let us know how so we can start data collection. But you said you did not so you just had a delayed lemon. That's all.

A quote from the OP from an old post. I also checked all his other posts. He never mentions increasing volts, doing any weird mods, etc. Running this cool, I doubt the voltage is jacked up.

I'd also go with a Hyper 212+ cooler. They are amazing, and only cost $30.00. I'm running my 2600k at 4.5ghz and it never gets over 65c under full load using Prime95. Idles around 25c to 30c, and normal use is around 35c or lower..

I have been building computers since 1989. I have built a few thousand of them and never have seen a CPU die. Intel or AMD. I would like to know how the processor died too. Did you try the processor in a completely different working computer?

Does anyone know if Intel would RMA a CPU if it was bought used from someone else? Would you need a receipt for it perhaps from the original owner?

A quote from the OP from an old post. I also checked all his other posts. He never mentions increasing volts, doing any weird mods, etc. Running this cool, I doubt the voltage is jacked up.

Correct. And I only used Asus autotuning program for a day to check to make sure the Hyper 212+ was working right and making good contact. So overclocked for a couple hours. Then back to stock. I'm definitely not an avid overclocker, and have never been one to mess with voltages and stuff. But I like to know a few years from now I can click a button and get a little extra if I need it. :D

GreenGoose:
I've been building my own computers for 20ish years, and I've NEVER had a CPU go bad. I swapped out the motherboard, which I thought was the issue, and that wasn't it. I don't have another 1155 computer currently, so couldn't check the processor. I did swap out the PSU, Video Card, and memory and they were all working.

Boards do kill cpu's, as do people through mistakes, but I too have been with computers decades and I've never seen a cpu just outright die except for the P4 with SNDS and even that was because of the brittle fab and people putting 1.7+ volts through it. Most cpu's nowadays handle volts pretty good.

Boards do kill cpu's, as do people through mistakes, but I too have been with computers decades and I've never seen a cpu just outright die except for the P4 with SNDS and even that was because of the brittle fab and people putting 1.7+ volts through it. Most cpu's nowadays handle volts pretty good.

Well I hope this is the only dead processor I get during my lifetime. Looks like it's gonna be 2-3 weeks of down time on my gaming rig. And I was enjoying Witcher 2 and the Deus Ex leak so much. :(

I'm not picking on you, but because we all generally agree most of the time cpu's just dont die on their own, we tend to think maybe it's something you did, accidental or on purpose. Don't be so defensive. Hopefully you get it all cleared up.

I'm not picking on you, but because we all generally agree most of the time cpu's just dont die on their own, we tend to think maybe it's something you did, accidental or on purpose. Don't be so defensive. Hopefully you get it all cleared up.

Yeah, I blame it on the Guinness.:p

I do agree, processors are rarely the problem. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket. :D

I have been building computers since 1989. I have built a few thousand of them and never have seen a CPU die. Intel or AMD. I would like to know how the processor died too. Did you try the processor in a completely different working computer?

I've seen CPU's on servers fail a few times -- even when the tech came out to replace it with a new part, even the new part was defective. These things aren't 100%. When I've asked how frequent that happens, they say "a lot".

I've been building PC's for as long as you have and my 2500k was the first consumer CPU I bought that failed on me. I never OC'ed it and I was a bit shocked, but hey, it happens.

My 2600k died along with an Asus P8P67 Pro B3 that was replaced in April. It was only running at 4.5ghz 1.33v and perfectly fine until one day last month it suddenly shut down and never booted up again.

I've been overclocking since the original Celeron days and this is the first CPU I've had die on me too.
So I think there's probably something going on with this generation of cpu/chipset.

I didn't do an advanced RMA, but they still shipped it via 3 day after they received the dead CPU.

Maybe those junk asus boards are to blame? I mean I'm not knocking on anyones purchase but I hear nothing but bad about them. I am running mine in a Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3.

My 2600k also died on an Asus P8P67 Pro. Kind of odd for someone else to have the exact same combo and the processor die as well. Once my new 2600K get's here, it will be going in an Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Rev 3.

My x58a-ud3r kept i7-960 voltage at 2.0v, then I sent the motherboard to RMA and everything works fine. But~~~~~one pin on the processor melted, I do hope the processor completely down so I can replace a better one :D

I have a P8P67 Pro that took two CPU's to the grave. The 2500 that was in it, and the celeron something I tried afterwards. It now sits in my closet,banished forever.

Back