2600k/NH-D14 high temps. Advice?

mesh

n00b
Im getting high idle's at stock with my NH-D14.
Asus WS Revolution
8gb g.skill
corsiar ax1200
2xevga 580sc's

Idle @ 40degress
prime load runs at 59degress and again this is all at stock speeds.

Any experiences/suggestions? I left it running prime for 20mins and the heat pipes arent hot or even warm i would say. Seems obvious that its some sort of contact issue, but I already re-applied the thermal paste. Im using the paste that came with my NH-D14 by the way. Currently its running on my test bench (open air). Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

41MbPl.jpg

Have you removed the sink to see how the contact patch looks?
If not try this and re-seat the heat-sink.

Same problem here...I idle at 40-42. Only difference is that I removed the 120mm fan as it was hitting my ram

Mine was like this at stock clocks as well as at 4.0. I'd like to solve it before ocing more

it could be due to the fact that the cpu is running to cool for the large heatpipes on the NH-D14 to vaporize the liquid in them. i know it was an issue with the with another heatsink that i think thermaltake released a while back where a stock i7 920 ran hotter then an overclocked 920 due to the heatpipes being so large. might be the case with the 2600k since its not having to displace that much heat at idle.

What settings are you running at?

Im running the 2600k at stock I havent OC'd yet.

cpu voltage in the asus bios is 1.120
Core Temp is shoiwng "VID" as 0.98 (idle)
cpu-z: idleing @ 1605mhz with "core voltage" 0.92 (idle)

I just tried re-seating the HS and i spread the thermal compound with a plastic bag over my finger. I know this creates air bubbles but I was just curious. Oddly enough it dropped temps about 3 degrees. Now it maxes out at 56-57 rather than 59-60. After watching the vid below is pretty clear that th pea method is the most reliable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q

Im gonna get some sleep, been up since 5am. Tomorrow Im gonna re-seat one more time and see what happens. If my temps still suck im then im not what what to try next. Thanks guys, ill let you know tomorrow. Peace

Last edited:
I would: check bracket, reseat cpu cooler without paste to see if its hitting any capacitors or if the fans are hitting anything, etc, then apply thermal paste and try again. If still the problem, try stock cooler and see what temps are and use that as a bench to see if your cpu is at fault

I would: check bracket, reseat cpu cooler without paste to see if its hitting any capacitors or if the fans are hitting anything, etc, then apply thermal paste and try again. If still the problem, try stock cooler and see what temps are and use that as a bench to see if your cpu is at fault

I agree with the above post.

what is your ambient temp? Put the stock intel heatsink on and compare the results.

it could be due to the fact that the cpu is running to cool for the large heatpipes on the NH-D14 to vaporize the liquid in them. i know it was an issue with the with another heatsink that i think thermaltake released a while back where a stock i7 920 ran hotter then an overclocked 920 due to the heatpipes being so large. might be the case with the 2600k since its not having to displace that much heat at idle.

Nailed it! My little story:

So yesterday I opened up my case to do some cable management (had just thrown shit together for a test run) and I notice the rear exhaust fan was unplugged (derp). I plugged it in and then installed the second 120mm fan on the cooler, moving it slightly towards the side panel to clear the ram. Move some cables for better air flow and then sealed it all up.

Still idles at 40*c @ both stock clocks and 4.0GHz.

This morning I oc'd to 4.3GHz. Idles at 35-38*c.

same here i got the same cooler with the same cpu and my temperature almost as same as you
i reapplied the thermal compound 3 timed and there is no big difference at most 1 or 2 degree :(
i overclocked to 4.5 and the degree reached 72 c after less than 10 minutes stress under prime 95

noctua d14 supposed to be better than that !

Last edited:
Idle temps aren't as important as load temps. And most testing of CPU coolers are done in an open air workbench situation, not a closed case system, where poor airflow can really affect temps.

72 C is really nothing to worry about on the i7's.

Idle temps aren't as important as load temps. And most testing of CPU coolers are done in an open air workbench situation, not a closed case system, where poor airflow can really affect temps.

72 C is really nothing to worry about on the i7's.

what's the threshold?

The point where the CPU's start throttling (reducing clock speed to reduce heat output) is 100 C. Most people recommend staying under 80 C for 24/7 operation.

Yup. Here are wise words I don't see spoken very often on this forum in regards to massive heatsinks on modestly overclocked CPUs. I've seen instances where high performance heatsinks don't really come into their own until the CPU is overclocked much higher and pushing more voltage.

2600k puts out no heat at idle. Mine idles at 16-18c on my water loop at stock clocks. It doesn't start moving up till i'm over 4.2 or so. I would just worrie about your load temps.

I have the dh-14 as well and my load temps are low 60's.

My guess is you aren't getting enough cold air pushing into the intake of the dh-14.

Believe me it handles the heat just fine running @ 4.5ghz @ low 1.32x volts.

Back