2600K / Gigabyte P67A-UD7

Vittra

Gawd
Took me a week longer than I wanted to get my FT02 and put everything together, but as of the wee hours of this morning the rig is up.

Everything's still running on stock/auto with the exception of a few minor Bios tweaks (AHCI, etc), and will be dealt with later today, but I just wanted to throw up a few admittedly poor glare/flash plagued Nexus One shots before carrying on. Please excuse the clutter in the case, it's nowhere near finished yet as I just wanted to make sure everything was functioning and I'm waiting on my wire saddles anyways. Once I get everything tweaked I'll get some new photos up.

Setup:

CPU: I7 2600K
Mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD7
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: XFX 6950
PSU: Corsair AX850
Heatsink - Venomous-X /w Noiseblocker M12-P

Reused parts from old build: 160GB X-25M G2 Intel SSD and 2TB WD Green drive.

Plenty of challenges with the build, but the most important of note is the Venomous-X and the clearance issues regarding the DIMMs. If you use the aftermarket fan holder, it will block the first two DIMM slots and RAM with tall heatspreaders will be affected. Old issue that will persists. I suspected this would be the case but was hoping that it wouldn't become reality.. unfortunately it did. To those considering Vengeance ram or any RAM with tall heatspreaders please keep this in mind. I'll likely be selling off the Vengeance soon and getting something like G.Skill ECO.

The stock wire clips that come with the Ven-X should be fine and give you just enough room, unfortunately I can't use them with the Noiseblocker M12-P due to the rubber grommet corners the fan has. The fan clips have nothing to latch onto.

SB1.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB3.jpg

SB4.jpg

SB5.jpg

SB6.jpg

SB7.jpg

SB8.jpg

That's really cool, I'm planning a 2600K in an FT02 too. Except maybe I'd prefer the windowless version, to reduce noise. What do you think of the acoustics of your case with your hardware?

I just sent a PM off to E^vol as he was curious about that in the FT02 thread.

Last night I had the case in the exact spot my P182 used to be in, which is about 3 feet from me and on top of the table, so the case was residing at head/body level while sitting.

The FT02 with fans set to low is louder than the P182 with stock fans, though not by any significant amount. The P182 is a surprisingly good case for silencing sound, I suppose I've had it so long I kind of forgot about that.

If you are looking for a SILENT case, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you can take a bit of sound the FT02 however will give you fairly good sound absorption and excellent cooling. Keep in mind having the case on the floor and further away would definitely give you a completely difference experience too, and the non-window should prove to be a bit more silent as that area will be covered with the sound absorption foam.

Thanks for the comparison, P182 is actually the case I have now. Maybe I'll keep it for the time being and replace it if/when I add another GPU. I'm not really confident in its ability to cool multiple GPUs.

Thanks Porter! Wasn't aware of that thread.. will post there shortly. :)

Seeing that vertical motherboard is so different to me. I do like the strips that run on the videocard and how to contrasts with the black case. I think that looks great. Where did you get your mobo and CPU?

What did you set the idle clock to be? I'm still confused about overcocking the new i7s that have no FSB. My goal is to set the idle clock to around 1.8GHz when I get my 2600K some time next week.

Haven't tuned anything yet, it's running completely stock, and as such it actually drops to 1.6GHZ when it's idle / doing very little. I'm about to restart and mess with the ram first.

OCing is quite literally just increasing the CPU multi and that's about it. The BCLK *can* be raised, but only by 5-10mhz at most.

Take a look at this page here:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/11

That's all there is to it. Simple!

@Ihaveworms - I purchased them at Canada Computers, a chain in Ontario, Canada that has a few shops.

Haven't tuned anything yet, it's running completely stock, and as such it actually drops to 1.6GHZ when it's idle / doing very little. I'm about to restart and mess with the ram first.

OCing is quite literally just increasing the CPU multi and that's about it. The BCLK *can* be raised, but only by 5-10mhz at most.

Take a look at this page here:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/11

That's all there is to it. Simple!

@Ihaveworms - I purchased them at Canada Computers, a chain in Ontario, Canada that has a few shops.

So there's no overclocking the memory?

EDIT: Just read that page of the article you sent, I think I understand somewhat. :(

Might I ask where you got the mobo? Newegg has sandy bridge NOTHING on their site and the parts are being released tomorrow.... this is so frustrating and I am chomping at the bit to get a UD7 or Max IV Extreme

So there's no overclocking the memory?

EDIT: Just read that page of the article you sent, I think I understand somewhat. :(

You can always mess with the FSB Ram Ratio... that might get you a little push more than stock ram speeds.

You can mess with ram dividers, timings, etc, but it is not overclocking in the previous sense of how we used to do it.

@tangoseal I purchased the mobo at the same time/place as the CPU, Canada Computers. It likely won't show up on places like Newegg until Sandybridges official release... which looks to be today (they are on newegg.ca now). So keep your eyes open!

I'll be picking up some G.Skill ECO 1.35V 800 (1600) 2x4GB ram today to resolve the tall heatspreader issue.

I've noticed that the board's voltage options around 1.35V are only 1.34V and 1.36 however. The ram is listed as officially supported in their specs, so perhaps the XMP profile will correctly identify the RAM voltage. We'll see in a bit.

You can mess with ram dividers, timings, etc, but it is not overclocking in the previous sense of how we used to do it.

@tangoseal I purchased the mobo at the same time/place as the CPU, Canada Computers. It likely won't show up on places like Newegg until Sandybridges official release... which looks to be today (they are on newegg.ca now). So keep your eyes open!

I'd always buy the fastest RAM I could before so I can push the FSB higher. So basically using the new ram dividers would allow me to use my RAM at it's intended speed?

Why the UD7? Are you planning on getting more video cards?

I'm planning on running crossfire in the future, yes.

I'd always buy the fastest RAM I could before so I can push the FSB higher. So basically using the new ram dividers would allow me to use my RAM at it's intended speed?

That's correct. You can set them to their intended speeds/timings and it is indepedant of overclocking the CPU.

very nice. Wish the asus boards weren't so ugly, but I'll live.

i agree, Gigabyte boards are the best looking of the lot. the UD7 is particularly nice looking. my case doesn't have a window so i don't have to look at the flashy blue-anodized heatsinks of my ASUS board :D

The Asus Maximus IV Extreme does look pretty nice, it just happens to not be out yet. I'm not very fond of the red/black theme anyways, feels a bit overdone these days.

Swapped in the ECO RAM without problems. The XMP sets it at 1.360V (1.356V to be exact) but as there is no choice for 1.35V, it'll have to do and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Back