2600k Gene-Z and turbo issues.

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, like others, been a while since I've upgraded (from q6600). Upgraded to a retail 2600k and asus max iv gene-z. I'm not sure if I like the efi bios (compared to the classic blue bios) but I loaded optimal defaults and then set the CPU to auto turbo with all cores and XMP for my ram. Saved and called it a day.

In windows, lates version of Core Temp shows the CPU idling at 3.8ghz. Now I'm a stickler for keeping things cool and quiet. The CPU is idling around 45c. My room is about 75 degrees year round. My cooler is the h50 with just one fan exhausting out the back. Case sides are off while I'm tweaking this for the next week. Yes, I'll add the second fan for push pull.

Im not sure why speedstep is not working and down clicking at idle, but I also think my idle temps are a bit high as well.

Any suggestions from fellow gene-z /2600k owners?

Check and make sure that both EIST and C1E are enabled - it is possible that optimized defaults sets them to disabled on that board.

Well, I seemed to fix it. I'll screen shot/print my bios settings and see if that helps.

In short, I went to the first section (tweaker I believe) changed from XMP and back to XMP and manually set my max turbo to 4 ghz. And then checked EIST and C1E.

Went back into windows, loaded all the ASUS drivers, then performed a windows update and that seemed to get speed step inline. My system seems to have cooled down so I used the ROG AI Suite II to 'fast' auto OC my cpu/gpu (waiting for my 560 to get her). Turbo is now at 4.4ghz and idle's at 1.6Ghz. Talk about great.

Yea, I didn't try to use the BIOS at all to overclock on my GeneZ / 2500k. I read an article talking about how you won't get much more out of it by manually OCing so I just used AiSuite AutoOC and got 4.4Ghz as well and I am idling fine, temps haven't risen over 26c!

Back