2600k dies. Advice?

Faksnima

Weaksauce
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions....
Here is my situation. I have a 2600k in a Gigabyte Z77X UD5H WB WIFI. It's been running at 4.5ghz since I purchased it in Jan of 2011. Anyways, I tried to give it a boost...so I did some overclocking to around 4.8ghz at 1.45 volts (mine has always required a little bit more voltage to get it to OC - I remember working on 4.8ghz at 1.5v when I purchased it - but that was for a very brief time). In any case, that didn't take. The system became unstable....nothing above stock would work. I tried oc'ing in windows and that resulted in a BSOD boot loop (I'm running Win 8). In addition, booting up at all was difficult and required multiple CMOS resets with the error code of 62 (running PCH services). In any case....I flashed the mobo bios, removed ram, removed vid card, etc...The system would not only NOT boot to windows, it would NOT let me install windows from a DVD (2 separate dvd drives) or USB drives. I would get consistent Machine Check Exception errors. I tried the 2600k on a P8Z68 Pro Asus board I have lying around. SAME EXACT ISSUES. So I took the 2600k out of the Asus and put a 2500k in.....booted to windows fine, no issues at all.....it booted to the windows installation that i had made on the gigabyte seamlessly. I feel that the CPU appears to be the main cause of this problem.

Here are my questions
1.) What are your experiences with the intel RMA process?
2.) What should I get as a replacement...should I spring for a 3770K ($250ish), 4770K + motherboard ($400ish) or buy a 2500k ($125) and see if I can get an RMA.
3.) If based on the above (the cpu had the same issues on two motherboards and a replacement cpu had no issues) you feel that it is not a cpu issue, do you have any suggestions for remedying this issue?

Just to add - the 2600k was watercooled with a corsair H60 and temps have not been a concern at any point during ownership.

I'd wait for an RMA.

If you need something ASAP I'd probably just get a 3570K.

temps at highest were what?
and even if kept cool volts can and still do kill, Intel CPU are quite known for burning out overtime with voltage even when temps were in check, they just "wear" out, needing more volts then normal usually allows a slightly higher overhead but also usually ends up being the volts end up causing the wear to happen faster(electro-migration)
AMD chips on the other hand usually require a fair amount of volts and do push heat but do not wear out near as fast, they usually take x volts and run happily at that for years once they are broken in but at the same time also usually have a higher rate of just dying outright if the volts are just a tad more then the chip wants.

Anyways, yeh wait for RMA(usually 1-3 weeks?) or get a 3570k/3770k as mentioned, though by all means at least what I have read you have to be much more tedious in your OC with Ivy then you needed to be with Sandy.

Volts were below 1.45, I believe. I believe 1.4 or lower for the life of the CPU. Idle temps were high 30s/low 40s and load temps were I believe in the mid 70s to low 80s.

Microcenter has the 4770k for 279.
Thats what I would do.

Though, if you are an overclocker, I hear that the 3770k which is 249 at Microcenter, and it is a better choice for overclocking.

Thanks for the replies. Intel's advanced RMA was seamless. They did charge a non-refundable $25, but that's a small price to pay for a replacement 2.5 years after purchase. I think i'll stick w/ the replacement 2600k and see if this one will get to 5 ghz :p...

Thats really good of Intel.
Which country are you in if you dont mind my asking?

Speaking of wrong.
Problems with the CPU socket pins are not under warranty, even if you follow the fitting instructions to the letter.

If Intel didnt question the RMA, I dont see that the op did anything wrong.

I said thats really good of Intel and asked where he is.

You saying he blew it up, is what is wrong. He overclocked a K processor. How is that wrong?

Normally you maybe right, but Intel is charging a premium for an overclockable K series CPU.

You guys need to go check your warranty terms. Unless you paid for the Performance Tuning Plan, then your CPU is not covered by damage due to over clocking. You overvolted and overclocked the chip and then it became unstable. Pretty cut and dry.

Frankly, I hope they deny your RMA, once they get the chip. They probably won't though.

You guys need to go check your warranty terms. Unless you paid for the Performance Tuning Plan, then your CPU is not covered by damage due to over clocking. You overvolted and overclocked the chip and then it became unstable. Pretty cut and dry.

Frankly, I hope they deny your RMA, once they get the chip. They probably won't though.

Theres no evidence to prove overclocking killed the chip either. As far as over volting, Intel has a pretty large range of voltages listed, and it has thermal throttling hardwired in to prevent damage from heat.

Stop crying because Intel supported their product. :rolleyes:

Theres no evidence to prove overclocking killed the chip either. As far as over volting, Intel has a pretty large range of voltages listed, and it has thermal throttling hardwired in to prevent damage from heat.

Stop crying because Intel supported their product. :rolleyes:

People rmaing "dead"/"malfunctioning" parts pisses me off as it raises the prices for everyone

K cpus are unlocked to overclock AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK.

People rmaing "dead"/"malfunctioning" parts pisses me off as it raises the prices for everyone

K cpus are unlocked to overclock AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK.

Get as pissy as you want, youre no one to say wether or not overclocking killed the chip.

As far as RMAs raising prices for everyone, i think youre talking out of your ass. The fraction of Intel cpu's that get overclocked is tiny to begin with, let alone the ones that actually get killed from overclocking.

Get as pissy as you want, youre no one to say wether or not overclocking killed the chip.

As far as RMAs raising prices for everyone, i think youre talking out of your ass. The fraction of Intel cpu's that get overclocked is tiny to begin with, let alone the ones that actually get killed from overclocking.

His chip ran fine until he pushed the limit. What do you think killed it Einstein? I'd love to know your theory.

His chip ran fine until he pushed the limit. What do you think killed it Einstein? I'd love to know your theory.

I dont have one, but why dont you get his chip and look at every cross section with an SEM and prove it was overclocking?

I wouldn't lie....

Youre perfectly fine with Intel saying "your CPU was defective but because you kept it too cool were not going to honor your RMA"?

Youre perfectly fine with Intel saying "your CPU was defective but because you kept it too cool were not going to honor your RMA"?

If the seating pressure crushed the die, yes. I'd be fine with them denying my RMA.

At the end of the day, he ran his processor out of spec. The warranty only covers CPUs run within spec. He has no warranty. He either, A: Lied when they asked if he had overclocked or run the system modified, or B: Got lucky that they didn't ask.

Just because you have no morals doesn't mean we shouldn't have any as well.

Time to get a new processor.

Microcenter is a trip away. Or you can visit them online.

I dont have one, but why dont you get his chip and look at every cross section with an SEM and prove it was overclocking?

I asked what you "think" killed it? All you need to do is use your brain. The dumbest person I know can look at the situation and make a reasonable assessment as to what happened, and the dumbest person I know is pretty dumb. Are you saying you're incapable looking at a set of circumstances and using your god given brain to make a reasonable assessment as to what caused it?

The same motherboard that works perfectly fine with a 2500k? CPU wasn't "flawed" from the beginning, it needed more voltage than some other CPU's, that's not a flaw, that's luck of the draw.

And how convenient there was a power surge that took out the CPU and only the CPU right around the time he decided to push it further. It's also funny how this transistor failed right at that same time also.

I honestly wouldn't be calling others daft when you've shown a clear lack of basic reasoning skills.

The same motherboard that works perfectly fine with a 2500k? CPU wasn't "flawed" from the beginning, it needed more voltage than some other CPU's, that's not a flaw, that's luck of the draw.

And how convenient there was a power surge that took out the CPU and only the CPU right around the time he decided to push it further. It's also funny how this transistor failed right at that same time also.

Unless you can conclusively show exactly what all those electrons were doing, you cant definitively say what happened.

I honestly wouldn't be calling others daft when you've shown a clear lack of basic reasoning skills.

I know...i have no idea how i graduated with a degree in physics.:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter what you've done in the past, in the now, you've shown a lack of this very rudimentary thinking skill. It's really not that hard to come to a reasonable conclusion as to what happened. Well... At least for most people it isn't.

Heck, even in a murder case, you only need to prove beyond a REASONABLE doubt. This concept eludes you.

I was under the impression that many cpus are DESIGNED to clock down (& use less voltage for power saving). Is this no longer true?

Last edited by a moderator:
CPUs are 95% intellectual property and 5% material (at most)

The $25 probably covers their real cost to replace the CPU and frankly, just hearing that they did it makes me more likely to buy their products.

They are in business to make money, not enforce divine justice against computer enthusiasts of questionable overclocking ability.

I was under the impression that many cpus are DESIGNED to clock down (& use less voltage for power saving). Is this no longer true?

No they still do that. Intel lists a voltage range on the CPU specs page...people building htpcs like to undervolt and underclock as low as they can for silence and power savings...that's what I had in mind when I said that.

They are in business to make money, not enforce divine justice against computer enthusiasts of questionable overclocking ability.

My argument isn't so much about the ethics of the RMA, but more against the notion that despite all the evidence and circumstances of the failure, that someone is crying foul over blaming the over clock for that failure. I think that's silly given the data we have.

Are you daft? Have you ever tried to mount the intel push pin HSF's? Or an aftermarket? The aftermarkets have screws, springs, and backplates. It is impossible to tighten them too much. They only thread in a certain amount, and the spring pressure takes care of the rest. The intel push pin setup on the other hand requires an inordinate amount of pressure and almost ALWAYS results in bending the motherboard. Go get some experience.

Seeing as I repair PCs for a living and co-own the shop, I'd say I've got the requisite experience thanks.

That being said, I was talking about older setups, such as Socket 370 and 462 where remounting the heatsink could cause real damage to the core. Or am I reaching abit beyond your years?

The fact of the matter is, regardless of cooler design, if the mounting of the heatsink damaged the chip, then Intel/AMD has every right to deny your RMA. It's not their fault your heatsink applied too much mounting pressure.

Im not saying your wrong, but according to you running a processor at a lower voltage and lower clock also voids the warranty.:rolleyes:

*facepalm* Running lower voltage and underclocking are far less likely to kill your chip though. Now you're just arguing semantics.

He turned up the voltage to try and make his OC stable, and now his chip is permanently unstable. How can you come to any other conclusion that the OC and voltage damaged the chip?

Look, if you're going to really lean on a chip, just get the tuning plan. It's 20-35 bucks depending on chips, and it covers you for this exact reason. Lieing to intel and telling them their silicon failed and you had nothing to do with it is just ethically wrong.

Then again, I'm a business owner, so I guess my view is skewed. I'd be pissed as hell if I knew my customers were doing this.

My argument isn't so much about the ethics of the RMA, but more against the notion that despite all the evidence and circumstances of the failure, that someone is crying foul over blaming the over clock for that failure. I think that's silly given the data we have.

The chip ran at a higher clock and a higher voltage when he bought it, so no its not silly to point out that you cant conclude overclocking was the sole factor that destroyed it.

Seeing as I repair PCs for a living and co-own the shop, I'd say I've got the requisite experience thanks.

That being said, I was talking about older setups, such as Socket 370 and 462 where remounting the heatsink could cause real damage to the core. Or am I reaching abit beyond your years?

The fact of the matter is, regardless of cooler design, if the mounting of the heatsink damaged the chip, then Intel/AMD has every right to deny your RMA. It's not their fault your heatsink applied too much mounting pressure.

Talk about arguing semantics...whats any of that have to do with now?

*facepalm* Running lower voltage and underclocking are far less likely to kill your chip though. Now you're just arguing semantics.

That wasnt the point...using a third party cooler is also far less likely to kill your chip, but it still voids your warranty so yeah.

He turned up the voltage to try and make his OC stable, and now his chip is permanently unstable. How can you come to any other conclusion that the OC and voltage damaged the chip?

It had been up higher in the past and survived...

Last edited:
You're right Nissan, it must have been a power surge with a special digital signature that safely passed through every other component and targeted the CPU. The fact that it failed at the same time he cranked the frequency and voltage I'm sure is purely coincidental.

Back