2600k Delid Process [Success!]

Spartacus09

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have several 1155 ivy bridge chips I'm wanting to delid (two 3770k and three 3770s) so for that many I picked up a rockitcool88 delidding kit.

To get a feel for it I decided to throw !@#$ on the wall and see if it sticks on my old 2600k as a test even thought it's soldered on, here's the process:

Popped the lid off with the tool and luckily the solder separated instead of ripping the cores off, scraped the black glue clean with a bamboo kabob skewer.

fcuQd4Gl.jpg

Used a windshield razor blade scraper to slowly and lightly shave the solder off the die (it took barely the weight of the tool to bump the pieces off).
The IHS needed break apart blade as it was too small of a space for the larger scraper.
Here's a vid of the removal (in 60fps for you snobs):

Still a bit left thats why its a bit cloudy, but didn't want to risk damage to the chip (assuming I didn't kill it already).

5oDn1GEl.jpg

Taped down the chip and IHS square for liquid metal and then applied.

GDl5FYxl.jpg

Removed tape, and added permatex gasket maker along the edge of the IHS.

abOoBjYl.jpg

Aligned and clamped, now we wait 24 hrs for the silicone to cure, I'll update once I fire it up and see if it works.

phvoS8dl.jpg

Lawl that's a $100 processor. I'd have experimented on a $10 Celeron but thats just me.

Glad it worked out (y)

You know they leave gaps in the gasket for outgassing eh?

Subbed, I cant wait to see this. And how did you even manage to get it removed from a soldered die? I cant wait to do that to my 5930k once they hit bargin bin prices lol.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
To get a feel for it I decided to throw !@#$ on the wall and see if it sticks on my old 2600k as a test

Heart sank there for a bit. I've seen what happens to folks who try to delid sandy bridge chips without heat. Glad yours seems to have survived the ordeal.

Did you know it was soldered beforehand?

I used the vice method on my 3770k, worked perfectly. Don't have the nerves to delid my faithful 2600k tho.

I've been considering deliding my 3970X but havent for this very reason. Excited to see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Heart sank there for a bit. I've seen what happens to folks who try to delid sandy bridge chips without heat. Glad yours seems to have survived the ordeal.

I used the vice method on my 3770k, worked perfectly. Don't have the nerves to delid my faithful 2600k tho.
I popped the lid off a dead sandy CPU just for giggles. The insides of the CPU were really pretty, at least?

Shiny and colorful, et all.

Wow didn't think this would get that much attention, I should have gotten some pre-temps if there was that much interest.
I remember the base temps were around 35c and 70c full load on a h110i cooler.
Alrighty, first in first out:
Lawl that's a $100 processor. I'd have experimented on a $10 Celeron but thats just me.

Glad it worked out (y)
Eh, its been replaced with a 3770k I got on the cheap so no harm no foul for the fun of it.
You know they leave gaps in the gasket for outgassing eh?
Yes, I only went around the 3 sides, the last area I left without gasket for breathing per oem specs.

Yes I did, I knew it was pretty old though too and had alot of heat cycles, I'd like to think that probably played a part in it.
Per my initial notes I have two 3770k's and three 3770's that displaced this chip so wasn't worried about destroying it. To your note, seems I got lucky.

Wanted to have fun with it and get some learnin' at the same time :), the rockit cool 88 kit made it substantially easier and less worrisome. I was alot more comfortable paying 40$ for it when I'm popping 6 lids vs using a cheap vice or 3d printed tool, especially with the soldered sandy chip.

Is that some custom color rockit 88 kit?!
Nope, the main part is black metal though its hard to see with my picture angles, the re-lid part of the kit is red and blue though, just the generic colors they sent me that came back in stock for the 1155 last week.

I will have an update tomorrow evening, had to work late adding a service module to our switch stack at work, and spectre/meltdown VMware host patching.
Want to give it a little extra time to make sure its fully cured anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Alrighty, first things, when I applied the gasket in liquid form I cut a straw end about 80% off and left a small tip for applying.
I globbed the corners a little more than the sides to ensure solid hold on at least the 4 corners and that seems to have worked well with only minimal run out, but it removed easily here's the final result after curing and using the bamboo again to peel the minimal overlap off:

eiFRXEZl.jpg
USzXIs6l.jpg

z0LfqXul.jpg
tPzRe7al.jpg

DTN107 here's the rockitcool88 kit pictures in full as well:
zaTSr8Vl.jpg
2JebqmRl.jpg

HWkHQGAl.jpg
nHlnNhdl.jpg

I tossed it into the mobo with the stock cooler and some dynex generic white paste I picked up (don't even know where it came from it was in my mystery parts box). anddd.....:

jIRRHfSl.jpg

SUCCESS!~
Mobo bios shows 39c idle

I'll do some before/after testing with the three 3770's I'm going to be doing in the same fashion to get a baseline for the effectiveness. I'll be a few days if not a week before I have a chance to do that though, stay tuned~

Back