2600+ or fake?

mwoodj

Weaksauce
I orderd a 2600+ 266Mhz from www.dvcentury.com. It just arrived today. The first thing that I noticed was that there were a few chips on one corner of the die. I was a bit upset about it but figured if it worked then thermal grease would fill them. So I put it in. My mobo is an Asus A7V266-E with BIOS 1011. I know it is a new enough revision because it was running a 2100+.

I powered on the system and my system recognized the cpu as a 2000+. This surprised me of course so I went into the CMOS to check it out. The auto options I had were 2000Mhz (100x20) and 2666Mhz (133x20). I changed it to manually and selected the right settings (133x16) and that works. I find this to be very strange. This is the first TBred I have run but I am pretty certain that they are locked from factory so I don't see how I can change the multiplier unless it has been unlocked. One thing that I have noticed is that running at the 2600+ speed (2.13Ghz) the temperature is not bad. I have an SLK-800 and a Tornado 80mm cooling it and it is at 45C. My 2100+ Paly at stock speed ran at lease 10C hotter then this.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts? Should I try to get a refund?

most if not all tbreds are going to be unlocked, the only ones i know of that are locked (from the factory) are the more recent 2500+'s and all the pally's
so its not unusual that u can change the multi

Ok. I can accept that. But why would my system recognzie the processor as a 2000+?

some boards don't do a very good job with auto-detecting the processor speeds, but i have no experience with the board you have

your board appears to be defaulting to a 100MHz FSB when your processor normally runs at 133MHz FSB. so when it's at 100MHz FSB, the resulting speed much correspond most closely to a 2000+ chip.

It always defaults to 100 when you install a new chip or if the machine dosnt boot correctly. It is a safety precaution.

I have some interesting developments though. I decided to download the latest beta BIOS release. I booted with it and set my processor to the correct settings (133x16). Now it says "AMD Duron(TM) 2133 MHz Processor". I just don't get it. This is not making any sence to me.

Here is wcpuid:

2600WCPUID.JPG

I noticed that it is just the namestring that is incorrect.

Download CPU-Z and run it. I imagine it will tell you exactly what you want to see. I have the same board you do, and I know that it can and will read the CPU differently. CPU-Z will correctly identify your chip and put your mind at ease... Or let you know that you should get a refund... My bet is on resting easy, though. Good luck.

Well, you beat me to the punch, but grab CPU-Z anyway. A second opinion is always welcome.

Well... i just rebooted because I found an even new beta 1015.003 and I am going to try flashing with that. After that I will go ahead and run that app.

Do you use the floppy method of flashing or the ASUS Update utility to flash while in Windows? Just curious. I use Update utility.

I use the floppy method. I don't trust Windows (then again... I work at a company that uses and develops on Linux exclusively and Linux is what I mostly use at home so maybe it's just kind of been drilled into my head not to trust Windows.)

After flashing the new BIOS it went back to saying Athlon 2000+. Here is CPU-Z:

cpu-z.JPG

I hear ya. Just curious. I haven't had a problem yet with any of the boards I've used it on (knocking on wood...)

WTH? Do you have the numbers off the CPU? I think you should do a check on that CPU and find out what you've got. Post them if you have them available...

I will have to pull it out and check (would have to wait till tomorrow) but I do remember looking and verifying on the proc that it was a 2600 before putting it in.

Maybe it isn't worth it then. Don't tear it apart unless you jst can't help yourself. I think that as long as it is running the right speed and such that it really shouldn't be an issue. But, if you're like me, it's coming out tomorrow! :) Good luck. I'll check in tomorrow or something for an update.

I figured it out. The A7V266-E has a jumper that is pretty much undocumented. It is the PALO_FREQ jumper and it comes from factory set to Athlon/Duron. I set it to Palamino (works with TBred as well) and it fixed my problem. Here is WCPUID:

2600WCPUID2.JPG

Problem all fixed... now I can head to bed.

The only thing I don't get... why didn't I have to change that jumper over for the 2100+ Paly I was running?

That's funny... Mine was factory set to the Palo as default. Whodathunkit? Glad you figured it out, though!

Back