26" DELL LCDTV to replace my Samsung 19" 193P??

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the Samsung 193P 19" LCD.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-001-156&depa=0

It's been very good to me and I think that it is one of the best 19" LCD on the market (in terms of design and quality, not to mention Samsung's excellent customer support).

However, I have this "desire" to go big. I want to go 26" widescreen big.

I am looking at this Dell 26" LCD TV:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

What do you guys think? I need serious opinions on this...

Questions that come to mind:

1. Do I always have to stay at 1280x760 resolution? Can I switch up to a larger resolution (1900x1200 or something like that, I forget the actual numbers)?
2. Are there downsides to going with an LCDTV as a monitor vs. a regular computer lcd display?
3. Am I crazy?

I play games and I surf the net a lot. Not to mention, I have a full blown speaker set that I use with my puter to watch dvds on.... I'm sure a 26" would be world's better than my current 19" lcd in that sense.

Come on guys... help a fellow member out here! :(

I have the funds to afford the 2405 as well... but I would much rather have something that can do tv, plug to a PS2, and act as a monitor rather than one that only performs as a monitor.

Help me out guys... help me decide... pros/cons is all I ask for. :)

You would be better off buying the 2405 as it has connectivity for TV and has the higher resolutions you require of 1920 x 1200

Get a 2405FPW not a 26" TV

Ive owned the 193p and used it along with a 1280x768 30" LCD. Having that size is nice but with that resolution its very limiting on desktop.

Youll find the 193p really is a great TFT when you start comparing it to other models.
More so in its colour and blacklevel, trust me Ive compared many to mine so to replace it you need a particulary good display.

L0ony is quite correct in his recomendation and although its monitor of the month the new 24" Dell seems a great display with many advantages over most LCD televsions not to mention that fantastic res with good scaling.

Its a hot bit of kit getting alot of praise currently but rightfully so. All we need now is a 30" version that includes a remote eh. ;)

Can the Dell 26" LCD/TV use other resolutions, too?

My brother has the 17" version and it works flawlessly. I'm even jealous of it, even with my 193p.

LCD has one native resolution. The 2405 is 1920 x 1200, that is the number of pixels that are on the screen itself. It has no way to display a higher res but can display lower res by combining pixels.

The TV has the exact same issue.

So it's either I have something with super large icons and essentially the same amount of workspace as on my brother's 17" dell lcdtv... or I have something with a HUGE workspace (1920x1200)... but it would look worse for gaming since I wont run it that high?

Damn it.

I'm beginning to lean towards the 2405... gah.... so much real estate at 1920x1200... wowowowowow!!!

Thoughts??

Pinipig523 said:
I'm beginning to lean towards the 2405... gah.... so much real estate at 1920x1200... wowowowowow!!!

Thoughts??

OrionNT said:
I would definitely get the 2405FPW.
Wow, this guy seems to know what he is talking about...

LOL

I'm pretty iffy on the higher resolution myself. I use to love 1600x1200 on my 19" Trinitron, but then a year later, I had to get glasses. I'm told it's more to do with heredity, but empircal experience suggests otherwise.

I'm currently using a 19" LCD @ 1280x1024 which seems to be the sweet spot. Thinking, and thinking hard about going to 24" @ 1920x1200, but may find it to be the equivalent of 16x12 on a 19"; hopefully its LCD characteristics will balance things out.

As for the LCD TV, it's best you save that for something like a HTPC hub, if you're at all concerned about preserving your vision.

I use a 23inch apple screen at 1920x1200 and it is great. I like the high res. I like it almost as much as my 600m notebook with 1400x1050 on a 14.1 inch screen. As far as gaming goes counter strike source rocks at native res.

Back