256gb Samsung 830 SSD $190+free shipping w/ promo code @ Newegg. Begins 6/27 @ 12AM

F***. I just bought a 64GB M4 for my server because I hadn't been seeing any 256GB deals around to replace my 80GB X25MG2+160GB 320 with. And all my computers have SSDs now, so no justification to upgrade.

Regardless, sweet deal.

There's been a lot of deals for 256GB SSD's lately, particularly the Crucial M4 256GB. You must not of been watching the Hot Deals section very closely.

I couldn't resist.

I was waiting for the M4, but this is even better.

I just ordered this exact SSD this week for $223 delivered from B&H Photo, it is still on its way to me, but I had to get another for this $190 price. Works out to 206.25 each, I can live with that. Perhaps I could get them to price match or get them to accept a no restocking fee return, but I think I will just keep both. I could run them in raid, but I hear that is not really worth it, or is it? I could just run two on my system, run all my games on a dedicated SSD for my Steam folder, run my boot drive with programs and music on the second. Then use my WD 2TB HD for movies. Or I could split them up, use one in a laptop, use the other in my PC Rig. So many ways to go!!! hmmm. What would you guys do? Assuming you don't have a laptop to use the other one in yet (but I will get one eventually, I just don't know if it will be built in or not so to speak, like in the new retina MBP).

Last edited:
I just ordered this exact SSD this week for $223 delivered from B&H Photo, it is still on its way to me, but I had to get another for this $190 price. Works out to 206.25 each, I can live with that. Perhaps I could get them to price match or get them to accept a no restocking fee return, but I think I will just keep both. I could run them in raid, but I hear that is not really worth it, or is it? I could just run two on my system, run all my games on a dedicated SSD for my Steam folder, run my boot drive with programs and music on the second. Then use my WD 2TB HD for movies. Or I could split them up, use one in a laptop, use the other in my PC Rig. So many ways to go!!! hmmm. What would you guys do? Assuming you don't have a laptop to use the other one in yet (but I will get one eventually, I just don't know if it will be built in or not so to speak, like in the new retina MBP).

I would just RAID the 2 SSD's in a RAID0, then use the WD 2TB for movies.

I would of jumped on this if I did not get my Crucial m4 512gb for $306.....

You picked a great drive to start with. You won't go back to platter drives if you can help it.

Thanks, I wasn't going to make the jump until the price point of 200GB+ SSDs dropped below $200. Now is the time for me to start using 21st century tech for my OS, not magnetic 20th century tech.

Unfortunately, my PC only has SATA2 ports, but this should still beat the ever loving snot out of my WD Caviar Black.

Missed this last time when they were $200 and ordered the Plextor M3 instead. This is an even better price than last time, so I'm in. Glad I was patient. I was a bit disappointed when they went back up to ~$270, but I knew they'd be on sale again soon.

Now I just need an M4 to complete the trifecta. Don't really need any more 256GB drives though, so the 512MB is looking pretty tempting. :)

what software to clone my 60ssd to this one?
Maybe I should just image one and burn to the other?

Oh, I would love to pick up one of these.

I will be on vacation for two weeks starting Saturday though, so if I order now it would have to sit on my door step for 2 weeks... Can't risk that.

Is this a better drive than that 240GB SanDisk deal that was posted recently.

Zarathustra[H];1038877623 said:
Oh, I would love to pick up one of these.

I will be on vacation for two weeks starting Saturday though, so if I order now it would have to sit on my door step for 2 weeks... Can't risk that.

Plus in 2 weeks I'd fully expect this deal to be 10 or 20 dollars cheaper :)

I'm wanting to pick up a 240 or 256GB drive (samsung, sandisk, or Crucial) doesn't matter, but I won't pay more than 160ish shipped. So I'm just doing the waiting game.

I can wait for 1 or 2 years until they are no longer be able to roller coasting the price to lure people anymore. :)

Well I returned the $223 one and kept the $190 one :)

Only ran me $3.75 to mail it back with no restock fee.

Raid didn't seem worth it and there are other things I could/should spend that money on. One is enough.

Bought one of these at beginning of the year and its been rock solid...cost was double back in January, I know I still have the receipt. Excellent drive.

I tried to justify two but just could not right now. Still building, perhaps once I'm caught up with my build.

I broke down and picked one up to use as a secondary drive in my EliteBook. It'll join its little 128GB 830 brother, as a drive for games and VMs.

That also frees up the Dell OEM PM830 I'm using now as the secondary drive to go back into my Latitude.

Last edited:

Here's a pretty good review done on 830s in RAID0

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ssd_830_raid_review

im wondering what the chances are of the M4's going on sale w/in this next month ??

Last edited:
Here's a pretty good review done on 830s in RAID0

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ssd_830_raid_review

Personally I feel like RAID is silly with SSDs, unless you are doing it for space or redundancy reasons.

1.) You reduce reliability of the drives in RAID0 as opposed to a standalone drive

2.) You break TRIM, so write speeds will be degraded over time

3.) While you can significantly increase benchmark numbers, real world use sees a much smaller (if any) improvement, and in some cases there is actually a small decrease in performance.

SSD's in RAID are really the dyno queens of the storage world.

lot of post saying it doesn't have TRIM is this a raid feature or why are they saying it doesn't have.
does it or not?

Zarathustra[H];1038881088 said:
Personally I feel like RAID is silly with SSDs, unless you are doing it for space or redundancy reasons.

1.) You reduce reliability of the drives in RAID0 as opposed to a standalone drive

2.) You break TRIM, so write speeds will be degraded over time

3.) While you can significantly increase benchmark numbers, real world use sees a much smaller (if any) improvement, and in some cases there is actually a small decrease in performance.

SSD's in RAID are really the dyno queens of the storage world.

I agree with this completely. a Decent SSD to a damn good SSD shows very little real world gain for most people.

Capacity is the only real reason to bother for most folks. But with the decreasing costs's of the larger capacity SSD's its much better to buy a single large SSD as opposed to multiple smaller ones for longevity.

Back