2560x1440p @120hz is mindblowing

nah its all good. my eyes/vision would focus "wrongly" on the crt and it would bother me.

you arent supposed to blame your body for something unnatural you are trying to adapt it to. blame the monitor and we can start talking on the same frequency. i'd rather not blame myself for problems in man made technology.:D

Last edited:
I've tried a bunch of settings, with high and low brightness, and it didn't change anything.

For more details: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?802-My-monitor-is-killing-my-eyes
It is common for those who just switched over from a CRT, LCD's will make your eyes feel raw for a week or two, and maybe longer if there isn't proper lighting in the room.

British said:
My monitor is killing my eyes

I've been using the Catleap for a couple days (coming from a CRT), and I'm suffering for a strong discomfort whenever I am in front of the screen.

I can't really explain what I feel, but I suspect it has to do with the back-lighting from the lower corners.
Having any bright-colored window open (whichever its size might be) produces this discomfort.
Dark-colored windows, not so much, but still.
Refresh rate has no effect on that problem.

Granted, I'm quite sensitive to a lot of things, but whenever I have to use a LCD for some time, I lower its brightness as much as I can, tweak contrast and such, and in the end it's OK enough.
Yet it doesn't "work" with the Catleap: the brightness is all the way down, and there's nothing else to tweak on the monitor itself.
Changing the color parameters in the nVidia panel is not helping either.
I've tried fiddling in the calibration stuff Win7 has (not using profiles yet), for the same result.

The things I've done:
- Ran the Pixel Clock Patcher
- Ran testmode.exe (though I have no mention of being in test mode on my desktop)
- Created some new "resolutions": Max refresh rate I can hit is 116Hz

With my CRT I can push a button and it will show me at which refresh rate it is, and I kinda miss that.
It's not that I don't trust Windows (well...), but while it does say it's operating at 116Hz, it doesn't feel so.
I've tried with GW2 fullscreen (without the FPS limiter, or whatever it's called), and 116Hz or not, I still can't read character names when I look around.
I'll have to try windowed to see if it does get the refresh rate Windows is advertising for itself.

Just in case, the card is a GTX 670, and the cable is one I bought off eBay thinking it'd be 24 AWG.

Anyone experiencing something like that, of having any pointer of what I might be doing wrong ?
^^^^ for those who did not click British's previous link.

British i'd suggest posting in the main Catleap thread, your post may get more attention there and it may help get this thread back on topic :)

Last edited:
Part of what I was saying is that it works both ways, going back to a crt monitor takes adjustment as well if you aren't using one daily. He is also turning the brightness way down, which as I said - I've read that the pulsing is worsened by lower brightness settings. That's why I mentioned room lighting etc so much.

I went from a TN panel 1080p to a Korean 27" IPS 1440p monitor, and I regret nothing.

True, I do miss 120hz with my 2 unlocked 6950's, but the bigger sized monitor and bigger resolution makes everything look much more detailed and beautiful. Going from 1080p to 1440p was pretty taxing on my system though, had to turn down AA in most games!

I don't think so, not maxed at least. But close. I could be wrong though, BF3 benefits from SLI scaling more than Xfire, but AMD cards are better at higher resolutions.

2 580's are comparable to a single 7970 right?

2 580's are a lot faster than a 7970. A 7970 is only about 30% faster than a 580.

I hope it's not magic... it's banned in my township.

What I use to get high FPS is minimum graphic settings. (which is what I prefer for MP gaming.)

Any chance of a "mainstream" 1440p 120hz monitor anytime soon? I'm asking because I don't live in the US and unfortunately can't afford to gamble any money on a Catleap on eBay without a good return policy.

Any chance of a "mainstream" 1440p 120hz monitor anytime soon? I'm asking because I don't live in the US and unfortunately can't afford to gamble any money on a Catleap on eBay without a good return policy.

I live in the US and this ↑.
(One can dream...)

I hope it's not magic... it's banned in my township.

What I use to get high FPS is minimum graphic settings. (which is what I prefer for MP gaming.)

I have no problems hitting 120fps with SLId 680s and maxxed settings but there are some games (like BF3) where maxxed settings give you a handicap. I find that lowering effects to "low" and geometry to "medium or high" with SSAO & HBAO disabled helps me "See" the enemy better. I can't stand AA and never use it because it feels like it blurs the image & induces more input lag, which is why I prefer 1440p over 1080p.

I just placed my pre-order for an Overlord OC PP with cable. Now I guess I need to build a desktop to power it. :D

It is common for those who just switched over from a CRT, LCD's will make your eyes feel raw for a week or two, and maybe longer if there isn't proper lighting in the room.

^^^^ for those who did not click British's previous link.

British i'd suggest posting in the main Catleap thread, your post may get more attention there and it may help get this thread back on topic :)
I actually don't need any more attention, as I was only posting my [negative] experience :D

Regarding LCDs making "the eyes feel raw", as I mentioned in a subsequent post in the link I gave, I'm using LCDs both at home and at the office, and they are not "aggressive" like the Catleap.

Sure, for $900+.

Dell, HP, ASUS, etc are will never be interested in selling one to you for $300 or less like the Korean sellers are doing.

Back