2560x1440 GPU (No Gaming at all)

dsmwookie

Limp Gawd
One of my co-workers just picked up a 2560x1440 display and all he is doing is word documents, emails, maybe some video, but one of the large uses is to monitor student activities on the cameras at our schools. We would like to be able to stream this and keep it smooth as possible. We will more than likely hook up a second display either a small monitor or a wall mounted TV.

Please be mindful of budget and that this is not a gaming device. Simply necessary for office use and needs to operate smoothly with those perimeters.

Any card that is windows7. areo glass ready will work. no areo glass then it is using 2d part of the gpu. most ati cards support more monitors than nvidas.

If you want something that is likely to be supported with new drivers as long as possible look at the Radeon 7750. Otherwise look at previous gen cards.

Also, what CPU? Intel HD 4000 will support 2560x1440 via DisplayPort, but not DVI.

If you need dual displays, you might have to get a dedicated GPU. As StormUP suggested, a 7750 will probably be a good choice for you.

Thanks so much guys. I don't recall his CPU one if the county tech guys ordered a bare bones machines and it is less than stellar. 7750 is local and affordable.

That was the whole point in this thread. I wasn't looking to get away with onboard. I wanted to know a cheap/reasonable and non-overkill GPU to have his PC run smoothly for those tasks. 7750 is accessible, good warranty, and cost effective.

I was mainly worried as the 7750 has 2GB of DDR3 vs. 7770 with 1GB DDR5 locally. Price was negligible, but I hate for him to get flogged by some VRAM even in light tasks or video/multi monitor tasks.

My friend plays simcity on low settings on his MacBook (with retina display 1440p) using intel hd 4000.

I don't think you need a discrete card, mate.

The computer doesn't have HD4000 not sure why anyone thought this :)

The 7750 ran everything just fine. I m having an issue though as I m trying to hook up the third display.

It works in the following Configurations:

Asus 2560x1440 D-DVI + Dell 1028x760 (i think thats right) VGA w/adapter

Asus 2560x1440 D-DVI + Insignia 1920x1080 HDMI

The Dell goes blank and is not recognized int he proper resolution when I have all three hooked up. I can get it to detect it some of the time, but it is like it is trying to force the resolution of either the 1080 or 1440p which the monitor simply cannot do.

To hook up 3 monitors, one of the outputs used *MUST* be DisplayPort. If none of the monitors are DisplayPort you have to use an *ACTIVE* DisplayPort adapter (to single-link DVI, HDMI, or VGA). Adapters are about $30. The only exception to this rule are Sapphire FLEX cards, they can use 3 non-DisplayPort outputs for triple monitors.

How would I tell if it is active?

I Know the 7970 came with two adapters and one being a DVI to DisplayPort adapter.

None of the monitors are DisplayPort though. Any explanation on why this has to be DisplayPort (just expanding my knowledge).

AMD GPU's can generate only 2 clock signals, limiting the number of legacy connectors that can be active at one time (Sapphire gets around this by adding an *INTERNAL* active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter). DisplayPort doesn't require a clock signal. Passive DisplayPort adapters require a clock signal when they convert to a legacy connection, while active adapters generate their own which is why you need an active adapter. Active adapters usually have the word "active" printed on the adapter.

If you just want to do dual displays, 7750 is overkill. We do it with $40 GPU's just fine (one of the 4000 series AMD cards).

Does Nvidia work the same way? I could just return the 7750 and grab a 650 or something comparable. I really want to hook up these three displays with minimal headache.

I lucked up. My 7970 came with two active adapters :)

Just checked and somehow I managed to miss the stamped "active" written on it. Thanks guys! Ill test it all out tomorrow and see if it works.

Back