250W TDP GPU in mITX (Node202), your experiences

housecat

Gawd
I'm currently running a GF1060 Founders Edition in my Node202. It's great. I have the PSU capacity to run a GF1080 (Corsair SF600). Has anyone here used something like the 1080 in a Node202 and ran into any problems?

My guess is that it idles at the desktop the same as my 1060FE (42C right now) due to aggressive downclocking and power saving measures. Is this correct or is there more I need to know? I don't mind if it spins up while gaming, to be expected..

The GF1080 I'd be putting in would be a Founders Edition, so no issues or changes with actually getting the heat out of the case.

Just doing my due diligence because one can't be too careful when working with mini-ITX.
Thanks!

Aye indeed, was looking at the 1080Ti wiki entry. Certainly not opposed to the 1080TI / 250W TDP setup though. Either way, would be a 1080. 1080 is overkill for my needs already, don't need or care to pay for the 1080Ti right now. The actual power draw under load for basically any card isn't actually any issue, I'm running a R7-1700/960 Pro 1TB/16GB DDR4-3200. Plenty of juice to spare with my 600W PSU.

That's a great link, thanks. Has what I was really looking for, the fan speed differences under idle. Maybe slightly off from my case since they used ATX and I'm more close quarters, but it still tells me Nvidia essentially pulled off amazing idle fanspeeds and temps on the entire lineup and it'll probably be a nonissue in my case as well.
Pretty much lays this concern to rest. Just need to decide if I'm going to drop in a 1080FE today or wait for the "2080FE" Volta. Unlikely I'll take out my 1060, put in the 1080, then also buy Volta considering how overpowered this stuff is for me. Temporary joy plugging in a 1080 today, or delayed satisfaction and Volta tomorrow. Never an easy decision.

My system right now is quieter than a docked, barebones Haswell laptop sitting next to it. According to Shintai's link both a 1080 and 1080Ti will be more quiet under idle than my 1060. :p Drawing conclusions from that though is precarious, considering they have it sitting in ideal conditions, open air I think, they didn't specify. Mine is in mITX changes that up a bit.
I'm all Founders Edition from here on out, completely sold on them after buying one so no compromises will be made on blower fan cooler quality. That should help me out. I suppose it makes sense going from a 120W 1060 to 180W 1080 isn't really a huge jump especially with a good quality blower cooler.

I have a GTX1080 FE in a mITX case (SG08B). Not any issues at all.

I see your sig now, and you have the FE, which is good to know as well. That's really all I needed to hear. Sounds like a no brainer. Will do a final review of the 1080Ti, see if its worth it for me right now. I do some 5760x1080 gaming, not a lot but this is also my work machine.. late at night like to fire up some Borderlands2 in NV Surround and sit back with the Steam Controller. Haven't noticed much of an issue with the 1060 doing that, but I learned many years ago that you can never have enough frames.

Decided I'm going to buy GV104 when it's likely released this year. $500 and should be plenty of power. Don't really need to wait for GV102 and $800 is a bit steep anyway.
Thanks!

Decided I'm going to buy GV104 when it's likely released this year. $500 and should be plenty of power. Don't really need to wait for GV102 and $800 is a bit steep anyway.
Thanks!
I won't be so sure about $500. Remember that 1080 was $599, or in reality $679-699 with FE and custom models like strix, xtreme, amp. Which, tbh, was quite steep, especially as we see how big is the gap between 1080 and ti that got released for that $699 price. But your 1060 can definitely suffice for now.

I'm not worried about $500 vs $800 really. I build a computer infrequently enough that if you divided up the cost for these parts it's inconsequential. $800+ is where I feel my anus pucker a little more, but that's a mental illness.. I wouldn't let it stop me either. 1080Ti is absolute gold. Probably will be upgrading more often now that we're finally over the 4 core mainstream era. Just want to do this one justice. I have a pretty nice Node 202 setup now IMO, just needs something with a little grunt like a 2080 / 2080Ti.

I'd recommend anyone go for the Founders Edition models, no matter the price. It's like an iPhone.. you can't replace a quality product. Of course the counter argument is some sheep nonsense which is just BS, I've owned, rooted, flashed plenty of Android phones and used all this stuff. Quality and the associated craftsmanship is priceless. Not everyone appreciates craftsmanship and quality, and other things can be valued too, I respect that. But for those who appreciate something that feels like its built to last, FE are rock solid. Nothing else but those for me from here on out. About time someone did it, many of us do appreciate it.
Agreed the 1060 is a mighty fine card. Quiet (silent?) in my Node202, stays cool, runs cool... zero complaints whatsoever. Tip of the hat to the engineers behind it.

I've built a couple computers around a mITX Corsair case, one with a 980Ti (250watt tdp) and another with a 1070, not issues with either one. Not sure how the cooling on that case compares to what you're running though.

Running a Titan X Pascal in a Ncase m1. No issues. Not overclocking anything, though.

As long as the card is sucking in ambient air small cases can actually be way better than big ones.

Most mITX cases draw air in directly through the side panel... doesn't get better than that (unless you watercool).

Pretty much anything more than a 1060 (120W) will start getting loud while gaming. I think a underclocked 1070 can still be pretty quiet. I had a mini 1070 running at -150MHz that stayed under 75C on load and was whisper quiet (using fanless PSU and Noctua L9i at ~800rpm).

I'd recommend anyone go for the Founders Edition models, no matter the price. It's like an iPhone.. you can't replace a quality product. Of course the counter argument is some sheep nonsense which is just BS, I've owned, rooted, flashed plenty of Android phones and used all this stuff. Quality and the associated craftsmanship is priceless. Not everyone appreciates craftsmanship and quality, and other things can be valued too, I respect that. But for those who appreciate something that feels like its built to last, FE are rock solid. Nothing else but those for me from here on out. About time someone did it, many of us do appreciate it.

Say what?
Are you saying that custom cards are not good enough?
And what is this weird Android vs iOS reference? It's a personal preference. I myself will never get an iPhone because they are an absolute joke (and I do own one, my company is forcing me to use it as a work phone).

Pretty much anything more than a 1060 (120W) will start getting loud while gaming. I think a underclocked 1070 can still be pretty quiet. I had a mini 1070 running at -150MHz that stayed under 75C on load and was whisper quiet (using fanless PSU and Noctua L9i at ~800rpm).

The better custom cooled cards can run pretty quiet if you set the fan curve to let them heat up to 70+c. Even the 1080 Ti.

Back