250GB SATA HDD: Win7 Partition Issue

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
My 250GB SATA is partitioned in TWO separate ones, and I just installed Win7 Ultimate x64 on the smaller partition that have assigned for the OS. The installation went fine and everything seems OK, but the thing is that I can NOT have access to the other partition (the one previously there).
In the Disk Management, I can clearly see the two partitions, and the non OS on reads as: Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition). But the explore, open, extend volumem and other features are grayed-out)

Oh, the OS partition has the option to Mark Partition as Active. What is this?
Please advise how can I fix this, since I have tons of data on the non OS partition and I need to get to them ASAP!

Thanks!

Is there a third party utility (like good old Partition Magic) that I need to use?

I would really appreciate your help.

If it was me, I'd stop what you are doing and use a tool to pull your files off to an external drive, like Bart PE. Never mess with partitions if you have important data, or else it can't be that important to you.

Then, clear the drive, install the OS and then restore your data.

If it was me, I'd stop what you are doing and use a tool to pull your files off to an external drive, like Bart PE. Never mess with partitions if you have important data, or else it can't be that important to you.

Then, clear the drive, install the OS and then restore your data.

The man is correct, listen to him.

Thanks for your message. XP sees the other partition. There is got to be way to fix this.

The data partition should not be labeled as System or Active. The non-OS partition you describe must be Win7's boot and recovery partition. How big is that partition? It sounds like Win7 has co-opted your data partition!

If that is the case, you should be able to recover the data that has not been overwritten, which should be most if not all.

Back