2500k wont go past 4.5ghz no matter what...

dinlee23

Gawd
okay so i cant get this 2500k 4.7ghz stable... even though my sig says 4.7 ghz its not stable... it passes IBT (50 standard passes) but after about a couple minute after IBT it bsods with a thing that says secondary processor failed or something... i frogot lol. Idk what to do anymore, right now im running 4.5ghz @ 1.29 vcore. This chip should be able to hit higher overclocks but for the life of me i cant just get past 4.5ghz stable

okay so i cant get this 2500k 4.7ghz stable... even though my sig says 4.7 ghz its not stable... it passes IBT (50 standard passes) but after about a couple minute after IBT it bsods with a thing that says secondary processor failed or something... i frogot lol. Idk what to do anymore, right now im running 4.5ghz @ 1.29 vcore. This chip should be able to hit higher overclocks but for the life of me i cant just get past 4.5ghz stable

Maybe your vdroop is the problem?

if i turn vdroop off will that make my cpu run at 100% vcore the whole time??

edit - are you talking about LLC?

Can you push the voltage any higher? What's your load temps? How much vdroop do you have?

what do you guys mean by vdroop i dont see any vdroop options in the bios...

these are my settings

Vcore: offset mode
cpu voltage: +.015
LLC: Level 2 (level 5 (highest droop) - level 1 (no vdroop)
Max Vcore: 1.42 @ 4.7ghz.

Temps in IBT reach 90... thats okay since i dont run it for more than 10 mins at a time

Kids in Africa are starving, why you worried about this

Could be a bum chip but you might wanna try raising your volts. Don't be too scared as long as you don't push over the high end 1.4 on air without good cooling. BTW I'd shoot for LLC mode 4 *edit* if 5 is max, and try that. Also, CPU PLL Overvoltage could help, so try enabling that, though that generally helps more in the 4.8 - 5.1 area more.

Last edited:
Spread Spectrum disabled. C states only -->> C3/C6 = Disable those only. Any thermal throttling setting off. PLL volt not more than 1.9v never go above. Raise core --> voltage till stable... lower it till unstable, raise it back up a notch for least needed to power your OC. Never ever had a good experience with Vdroop. Try said above. Then experiment with different vdroops, but if i were you i would leave it at the lowest setting or near.

I can't get mine past 4.5 ghz either. We're both using low-end motherboards, so that could be the problem.

what do you guys mean by vdroop i dont see any vdroop options in the bios...

these are my settings

Vcore: offset mode
cpu voltage: +.015
LLC: Level 2 (level 5 (highest droop) - level 1 (no vdroop)
Max Vcore: 1.42 @ 4.7ghz.

Temps in IBT reach 90... thats okay since i dont run it for more than 10 mins at a time

90?! Thats pretty high.

Yeah, I think its the offset for when you are loading the cpu.

the individual cores themselves dont reach 90 thats the package temp. well it booted no problem with a offset of +.1... i never really tried an offset higher than .025 before so maybe that might be it.

voltage is at 1.39 max right now @ 4.7 ill see if i can get this chip any higher...

also can you guys recommend me a good air cooler for this? currently i have a hyper 212. im hesitant to get a H50 or some other type of water cooling solution because of the leaking nightmares ive been reading on the amazon board... lol

im thinking of buying a H60 or something along those lines. how do you test the cooler before you put it in your PC? do you just hook it up to the psu and run it?

the individual cores themselves dont reach 90 thats the package temp. well it booted no problem with a offset of +.1... i never really tried an offset higher than .025 before so maybe that might be it.

voltage is at 1.39 max right now @ 4.7 ill see if i can get this chip any higher...

also can you guys recommend me a good air cooler for this? currently i have a hyper 212. im hesitant to get a H50 or some other type of water cooling solution because of the leaking nightmares ive been reading on the amazon board... lol

H100/920 for AIO water cooling or I would go with the Noctua NH-D14. If you have ram chips that are tall where the D14 wont fit, then the AIO cooler.
i have the 620 and I wish I had gone with the 920 even though I have the low profile Samsungs.

vdroop is the drop in voltage you see when your processor hits full load. It can drop your voltage below what is required for your processor to stay stable. You can counter this by turning up your LLC. Once you turn up the LLC, you can tweek your voltage with the offsets. Using LLC with offsets requires a good bit of trial and error to find what works because pretty much every board works a bit differently.

booting at 5ghz with 1.45 vcore...

is that too high or is it totally safe?

will be buying a more robust cooling solution later on today

btw do you guys know how to check a cpu water cooler for leaks before i screw it in the motherboard?

booting at 5ghz with 1.45 vcore...

is that too high or is it totally safe?

will be buying a more robust cooling solution later on today

btw do you guys know how to check a cpu water cooler for leaks before i screw it in the motherboard?

A custom or AIO I guess can be tested the same, just run it out of the case? It doesnt need a load as it will just run cool.

1.45 isnt bad as long as you can keep temps down. But this all depends if you run the CPU near 100% all the time.(FAH, encoding alot, etc)

A custom or AIO I guess can be tested the same, just run it out of the case? It doesnt need a load as it will just run cool.

1.45 isnt bad as long as you can keep temps down. But this all depends if you run the CPU near 100% all the time.(FAH, encoding alot, etc)

all i do is game and write essays on my pc so most the time the cpu will be idle

btw is the 920 really worth it? its almost double the price

all i do is game and write essays on my pc so most the time the cpu will be idle

btw is the 920 really worth it? its almost double the price

I just got the 620 to check out the AIO units. I like it that I can put a fan to blow over my ram chips and VRM's. If I had to do it over, I would just get the D14 in a push/pull or push if the back fan is close to the rear.
I dont like anything getting hotter then needs be, so I do like cooling overkill. :) My 620 runs at around 72 in push at 100% prime/IBT, so I am not worried about gaming or anything really.
If I wanted to push higher I would get the D14 or H100/920 since its cheaper and easier to just turn a fan up or add a fan than totally upgrade the whole HSF if it isnt adequate. Also getting much more cooling then you need means if you want it super silent with a OC, you can turn the fans down and still have excellent cooling.

yeah when i was running IBT the cpu reached 97C so i stopped it right away... lol i definitely need a better cooling solution just wondering if a 620 would be adequate enough to get IBT temps below 80 degrees

yeah when i was running IBT the cpu reached 97C so i stopped it right away... lol i definitely need a better cooling solution just wondering if a 620 would be adequate enough to get IBT temps below 80 degrees

It should, but it comes down to money. If I buy another AIO, it will be the 920/H100 to give me headroom.
I get a bit of flak for advising on a 212 minumum, even if they keep it at stock. All my kids comps, esxi comps, extra, etc all have aftermarket HS's.
A cool comp is a happy comp! :D

im keeping mine at 4.8 ghz atm till i get better cooling... some reviews pit the antec 620 equal to the hyper 212 plus/evo srsly?? lol

im keeping mine at 4.8 ghz atm till i get better cooling... some reviews pit the antec 620 equal to the hyper 212 plus/evo srsly?? lol

The 212 is a pretty sweet HS! I have 2 of them and they keep a quad AMD and hex AMD cool even OC'd, but for higher OC's the D14 hits the spot.

well since i had my 212 plus for 3 years now do you think a 212 evo and some good fans will make a difference? i really dont want to go with AIOs

well since i had my 212 plus for 3 years now do you think a 212 evo and some good fans will make a difference? i really dont want to go with AIOs

Yeah, if you get some of the good fans it will rock. I dont remember the name of the ones people suggested for a HS.

sigh 4.8ghz crashed after an hour of blend test... jesus... i think i need a new mobo. this motherboard of mine originally had bent pins and i had to "fix" it. just dont want to spend 200 bucks on a new mobo and cooler right now

sigh 4.8ghz crashed after an hour of blend test... jesus... i think i need a new mobo. this motherboard of mine originally had bent pins and i had to "fix" it. just dont want to spend 200 bucks on a new mobo and cooler right now

What was you temp?
Try 4.7 at same settings?

AIO coolers aren't much better than air. If you really want to push the volts, you need custom water.

I'm not sure why you think you need a new motherboard if you're getting 4.7GHz+ I've had my processor on several motherboards and it's made very little difference. 4.7/4.8GHz is a pretty good overclock.

AIO coolers aren't much better than air. If you really want to push the volts, you need custom water.

I very much second that... it's either air or completely custom in my book. With the price of heatsinks like the 212+ being what they are the return on investment for AIO water cooling isn't justifiable.

Even custom watercooling with have limited benefits... but hey, this is HardOCP; If I had the money I'd switch back to watercooling even if it meant only a minor speed increase. :p

I'm currently at college but I found a stable clock @4.5 ghz for my 2500k in july. I'll post some pics of the voltage and settings when I get home for thanksgiving. :) I don't think I had to push the voltage that much.
I don't know 100% if it is stable, but I tested it in Prime95 for 6 hours without any crash and have gamed on it for longer and no crashes either yet.

However I do have one problem. This picture was taken back in May before I OC'ed my 2500k. I remember even after OC'ing it, the temps in the BIOS stayed the same. Why is it running so hot in BIOS?

7307111834_51e0a8e7a0_c.jpg

However I do have one problem. This picture was taken back in May before I OC'ed my 2500k. I remember even after OC'ing it, the temps in the BIOS stayed the same. Why is it running so hot in BIOS?

UEFI puts a bit of strain on the CPU (oddly enough) and power saving modes are disabled while in BIOS. All the ASUS boards I've had also are a bit off with temperature reporting in BIOS. What temps are you getting idle/loaded in OS?

I have a 2500k @ 4.8GHz running at 1.362v max (offset mode) on a CM 212+ and my idle temps are 35c and full load temps are around 75c.

Last edited:
I do not go home until Thanksgiving so I can't give you exact numbers (I will update this thread when I do), but with my 2500k @4.5GHz using a CM 212 EVO I my idle temps were low 40's and low-mid 60's under full load.

Back