2500K What happened to this contact?

Looks like one of the pins on the land grid array on his motherboard was slightly bent over, and bent just enough that there was/is a short created. You can see the dimple from the pin on the prior LGA and it was likely making very slight contact with that other contact that it shouldn't have been touching.

Looks like one of the pins on the land grid array on his motherboard was slightly bent over, and bent just enough that there was/is a short created. You can see the dimple from the pin on the prior LGA and it wasn't center.

What kind of damage are we talking here? Is it serious enough that it will effect performance or even damage other components? I am afraid to even install it, never seen a CPU like this.

No clue.

I'd say you have nothing to loose at this point. Just pop it in and see what happens.

Return if possible obviously.

Getting second opinions from other forums saying it could cause damage to mobo so I really wouldn't feel safe installing this anywhere. This sucks.. 2nd 2500K purchase that I've gotten burned on and this time literally :/

Getting second opinions from other forums saying it could cause damage to mobo so I really wouldn't feel safe installing this anywhere. This sucks.. 2nd 2500K purchase that I've gotten burned on and this time literally :/

Contact the seller you may be surprised!

I did, waiting on reply, hopefully he's a good guy understands that this is an unacceptable risk. Unfortunately now I have to pay return shipping so I am out like $10 on that.

I doubt it would damage your motherboard. I just don't see how it would. Either you'll find it works, doesn't work, or sort of works.

I doubt it would damage your motherboard. I just don't see how it would. Either you'll find it works, doesn't work, or sort of works.

Some are saying it could be shorted circuits which damaged a power pin. I don't know that much about the engineering aspects of it but I wouldn't want to take the risk with a $150 motherboard.

why dont you give out his name so we all stay away from this asshole.

DO NOT INSTALL THAT IN YOUR MOBO. It doesnt even have the gold/copper padding on it. It shorted with another pin, and burned. It pulled off the copper pad, and you will have 1154 pins, then 1155 pins. I dont know what that pin would do, but definitely it would not make the chip work as it suppose to, and probably corrupt something.

That burnt pin supplies the inverted clock signal to one of the B channel DDR3 slots. The pin it looks to have short with is a voltage pin that supplies power to I/O signals. It's safe to assume that, at the very best, the memory controller is fried now and the chip is useless. Don't put it in a motherboard as there's no telling what kinda damage was done inside the chip that will now feed raw power to pins that were not intended to have it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally put something like that in my computer. You can refer to Intel's spec sheet pdf files and look at the pin layouts and see what that contact pad does. Best get in contact with the seller though, look's like his done a sneaky dodgy job of successfully selling you a damaged chip.

I would also recommend you make a post in the TTT thread to alert other buyers of this very shady deal that was done to prevent other people from getting burned.

Sorry to hear about this :(

i wouldn't install that (as many others said) ...it is bullshit someone sold that thing in that state.

i wouldn't install that (as many others said) ...it is bullshit someone sold that thing in that state.

I concurr. Use any/all anti-fraud measures you have available, if needed. If you used Paypal, they can return your payment. Visa/Mastercard also have measures in place to protect you. If you wrote a check, it gets much harder, but not impossible. If you wrote a check, you can track where it was cashed, and under what account number, through your bank, and then file a small claims court case.

Sorry to hear OP but you need to out this asshole and file a paypal dispute immediately. Theres no point in waiting for a response from him, that was shady as hell to sell a chip like that.

oh and i hope you get your monies back and eventually get a working 2500K ...I have had mine for ?? 2yrs about I guess... and it just rocks

great cpu when someone hasn't shorted it out and burnt the pad(s) or whatever.

If he doesn't respond soon, get the money back from PayPal, leave negative heat, and report him to the staff here.

Whatever happened to that 2500k I would tell the guy to shove it. I am truly sorry to hear about it.

Seller says he had no idea it was like that, he just pulled it out and packaged it. He's being real cool about it and say's he'll refund me asap. I wish paypal would hurry up and release my funds from the last 2500K I tried to purchase but ended up being scammed on. My younger cousin is dying for me build him a gamer rig since he's on very limited income being 15 years old. :p Seems to be a curse going around with 2500K sales..

I call bullshit on the bit where the seller didn't know about the broken/burnt pin contact pad. He probably saw this thread and might/has hurt his feedback and rep so that's why his refunding you asap. Let's hope he sticks by his word.

Seller says he had no idea it was like that, he just pulled it out and packaged it. He's being real cool about it and say's he'll refund me asap. I wish paypal would hurry up and release my funds from the last 2500K I tried to purchase but ended up being scammed on. My younger cousin is dying for me build him a gamer rig since he's on very limited income being 15 years old. :p Seems to be a curse going around with 2500K sales..

I only buy new processors for this very reason. I know sometimes it's tempting to build a nicer rig than you can really afford by getting used or refurbished components but whenever you do that your taking a bigger risk than buying new. A new 2500K has always been outside the price range i'm willing to spend so instead of a used 2500k i got a new Pentium. It runs Crysis 3.

I only buy new processors for this very reason. I know sometimes it's tempting to build a nicer rig than you can really afford by getting used or refurbished components but whenever you do that your taking a bigger risk than buying new. A new 2500K has always been outside the price range i'm willing to spend so instead of a used 2500k i got a new Pentium. It runs Crysis 3.

I definitely hear you on that. I have bought some parts on eBay used and let me tell you I have had those moments where I take one look at the box and sent them right back, lol. TBH I've even on Amazon and Newegg with brand-new stuff, I've had to send things back. I'm really beyond that open and check it out nonsense. Why risk my working components?

I definitely hear you on that. I have bought some parts on eBay used and let me tell you I have had those moments where I take one look at the box and sent them right back, lol. TBH I've even on Amazon and Newegg with brand-new stuff, I've had to send things back. I'm really beyond that open and check it out nonsense. Why risk my working components?

Wow, what a douche move. You just sent things you bought back because you didn't like the way the box looked?

Wow, what a douche move. You just sent things you bought back because you didn't like the way the box looked?

Imagine you receive a hard drive in crushed box with the stuff rattling inside. How about a video card wrapped in a soft padded envelope? Or a box soaked in oil placed in a plastic bag. I stopped opening them after Newegg sent me a motherboard with the cpu socket cover floating about and the box looked like shredded wheat. Or one time they had the nerve to send an (edit) open box GTX295 in a box floating around with no kinda padding. I'm not plugging those things in.

When people have the nerve to do stupid douche-y things like that, sure I'm going to (in your opinion) pull a douche move.

While I agree that shitty packaging is very annoying, there's no point in not testing any of those things you mentioned.

Well if it's out of the ordinary, then off send it back. But these are only to the extreme
Measures. That's why always buy new when u need it work, or if your going to save atleast 20 percent off a used item by new. But this contact was clearly changed out bcuz he knew something was wrong and had to make something out of it. Glad op is working things out.

There are many many many good sellers, and people do make mistakes. I have not had one bad experience from anyone on a forum, ever.

I call bullshit on the bit where the seller didn't know about the broken/burnt pin contact pad. He probably saw this thread and might/has hurt his feedback and rep so that's why his refunding you asap. Let's hope he sticks by his word.

It happens. I accidentally sold a Z68 Extreme3 that had a bad top PCIe x1 slot, and I had no idea because I never actually used that slot. The buyer and I agreed to a small refund with him RMAing the board.

dang dude, that sucks. I think you pst me about the 3570k i just sold. Sorry to hear about your bad luck!!

I don't know... If I was on a tight budget, I think I'd rather take the remote chance of getting a lemon of a 2500k then spending the same amount for a new CPU that has a fraction of the power.

dang dude, that sucks. I think you pst me about the 3570k i just sold. Sorry to hear about your bad luck!!

It's cool :D I'll just have to be quicker next time. Anyway, seller refunded me and didn't want me to bother with returning it. Great communication and awesome guy, I wouldn't hesitate buying from him again in the future.

Well that worked out well, considering.

If you're gonna toss it, i'll gladly pay your shipping fees. I have a board I'm not afraid to try it in.

How does the gold plating manage to come off the whole pad like that, and is there any way to repair it? There are companies that can re-plate contacts, but is there a home solution, other than solder? I'd be worried about the gold eventually making the solder corrode, but would contact protectant prevent that?

How does the gold plating manage to come off the whole pad like that, and is there any way to repair it? There are companies that can re-plate contacts, but is there a home solution, other than solder? I'd be worried about the gold eventually making the solder corrode, but would contact protectant prevent that?

Since that is a voltage related pin, I would assume that a short caused the pad to heat up and the gold coating was "melted" off...That was my first impression, but looking at the picture, the surrounding pins seem to be completely fine...I almost want to say that is physical damage, not caused by the MB itself, but only the seller knows that:confused:..

Since that is a voltage related pin, I would assume that a short caused the pad to heat up and the gold coating was "melted" off...That was my first impression, but looking at the picture, the surrounding pins seem to be completely fine...I almost want to say that is physical damage, not caused by the MB itself, but only the seller knows that:confused:..

you can see burn marks around the other pins close to it. and all the short-circuit current would have been flowing through only that pad. I bet there's a pad left behind in the socket of the motherboard that caused this.

Back