2500k Upgrade Build

ep3w

Gawd
Its time to upgrade from the 2500k I've been running at 5Ghz. I'm seeing high processor utilization with the GTX 1080 that is overclocked to 2.0Ghz so I'm looking to smooth things out a bit and increase minimum FPS. I'm pretty set on an 8600k, I'm not convinced that for gaming the 8700k is worth the price premium. I'm really looking for some input on motherboard and RAM here.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, light photo editing, and web browsing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'd like to keep it under $1200 for the parts I need.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Seattle, WA.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherboard, RAM, case, M.2 SSD.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
GTX 1080, Seasonic 750W power supply, Dell S2716DG.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1440P 144Hz.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Not in a huge rush, may wait for deals on the specific components I want..
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Dual Ethernet ports would be nice but not a requirement. Looking for something good at overclocking and stable.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win 10 64bit.

Below is the proposed build with the reused parts identified by $0 cost. Any input appreciated!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($256.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($171.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML140 Pro 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($26.93 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML140 Pro 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($26.93 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1017.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-31 13:19 EST-0500

Not a big fan of that case and I like Fractal. I prefer the look/organization of the define R4 or R5 case. They also don't require extra CPU fans so you can easily save $50+ dollars from spending that.

Not a big fan of that case and I like Fractal. I prefer the look/organization of the define R4 or R5 case. They also don't require extra CPU fans so you can easily save $50+ dollars from spending that.

I'll take a look at those, thanks. I've really only used Corsair cases in the past so I'm new to the Fractal Designs cases. There seem to be a lot of variations of similar cases (Define C, R4, R5, R6, etc.) so I'll need to dig into them a bit more. The main reason for picking the Meshify C was cooling is more important to me than sound (don't want something super loud but I prioritize it lower than cooling), and I liked the shroud that covers the PSU and hdds. I don't really have a need for an optical drive or more than 2 harddrives (plus SSDs) so it seemed to fit what I needed.

Well nothing wrong with the case you chose really, was just my personal preference. It still doesn't need those 2 case fans you are adding to it. The only real heat adder in your build will be the GPU and a front intake fan, and rear exhaust fan plus your AIO cooler exhausting the CPU out the case means you wouldn't have an issue with heat.

I would say, since your doing a unlocked CPU plus the watercooling, get a good overclocking motherboard to go with, get that free extra performance for free. A good motherboard would be either the Z370 Taichi or even the Extreme if you want something cheaper. I'm pretty happy with the Taichi atm.

Seems like a pretty solid build to me. Might actually steal most of your specs personally, lol. I'm a bit overdue on my current 5-year strong build from a 2500k.

The Taichi was a close second for motherboard but in the end I decided I liked the look of the gigabyte board better and [H] had good things to say about overclocking with the Gigabyte Gaming Ultra. I've never used an ASRock board but people seem to say good things about them. I still go a little back and forth on that one.

I sure got my moneys worth out of the 2500k and hoping to do the same here!

I've been sitting on this one a bit and now I'm debating the cooler. I'm looking at two options.

-H100i v2 (240mm radiator) mounted up top as exhaust
-H115i (280mm radiator) mounted up front as intake

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to hit 5ghz on the 8600k. The H100i v2 is the safe bet as it will fit in the top or front, I'm not sure how much extra cooling the bigger radiator adds. Thoughts?

Back