2500k OC switching between 4500Mhz to 1600MHz?

arachn1d

Gawd
I'm monitoring the CPU-Z application because I noticed some weird framerates issues all of the sudden and the Core Speed is constantly fluctuating between 1600MHz and 4500MHz every 5 seconds.

Is this normal behavior?

Also mention I OC'd memory as well...

Last edited:
It is if you have the powersaving features enabled (C1E, Speedstep, etc) while the system is idle or close to it... Try loading it with Prime95, OCCT, or LinX. It should then remain at 4.5GHz.

I turned off C1E and I see the clocks always boosted now. This is what I want... I only have the PC on for gaming nothing else. I don't want to worry about it being underclocked ever.

I ran CPU-Z and my DRAM Frequency says 800 when I OC'd it to 1600 in the Bios. Is this just a CPU-Z bug? Any way I can test it otherwise?

I turned off C1E and I see the clocks always boosted now. This is what I want... I only have the PC on for gaming nothing else. I don't want to worry about it being underclocked ever.

I ran CPU-Z and my DRAM Frequency says 800 when I OC'd it to 1600 in the Bios. Is this just a CPU-Z bug? Any way I can test it otherwise?

Always double your mem. speed when looking at CPU-Z. 800x2=1600. You're fine.

What's the point of having these systems run at their highest speed all the time when it's not needed? If the system needs to run full bore it will, if not it won't. What's the point?

Obviously, they also suck more power and generate more heat when you run them at full tilt all the time. Unless you're gaming the entire time the PC is on, why subject the system to this 24/7/365?

What's the point of having these systems run at their highest speed all the time when it's not needed? If the system needs to run full bore it will, if not it won't. What's the point?

Because it's his box and that's the way he wants it.

Because it's his box and that's the way he wants it.

Am I asking to much for a real logical response that actually has some reasoning why someone would run them at full tilt?

I'm not calling the OP an idiot for doing it, I'd just like some reasoning on why it would be an advantage. If I knew, maybe I'd do the same.

Am I asking to much for a real logical response that actually has some reasoning why someone would run them at full tilt?

I'm not calling the OP an idiot for doing it, I'd just like some reasoning on why it would be an advantage. If I knew, maybe I'd do the same.
Turning off power saving will add stability to the most extreme overclocks. On a typical overclock like the OP's, it just wastes power. Kind of like sitting in your driveway constantly revving your engine if you're into car analogies.

I'm monitoring the CPU-Z application because I noticed some weird framerates issues all of the sudden and the Core Speed is constantly fluctuating between 1600MHz and 4500MHz every 5 seconds.

Is this normal behavior?

Also mention I OC'd memory as well...

Did you also disable C3 and C6?

Turning off power saving will add stability to the most extreme overclocks. On a typical overclock like the OP's, it just wastes power. Kind of like sitting in your driveway constantly revving your engine if you're into car analogies.

Ahh, I see. I've got an i7 930 OC'ed to 4 GHz, and I kept power saving on. It jumps from a little over 2 GHz to 4 when it needs to. I haven't noticed any stability issues on my end with it so I'll probably just keep it the way it is.

I've read in these forums before about this and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that the first processors that started doing this had a bit of a lag time in doing so. So you could actually tell a difference having the CPU run full tilt instead of hopping around.

So to answer people's questions on why I did this:

1) I only use the PC for gaming. It is off when I am not playing games.

2) I 100% saw a different yesterday with C1E being off. I went from 60 fps dipping into 30 fps at weird times to a constant 60+ and sometimes hitting 100 FPS on BC2 6048x1200 full options (besides HAO)

it will do that when the cpu is not in use. So it safe some power and it look after the cpu. Its no use running a cpu @4.5Ghz when its just sitting there doing nothing. But you will see once it start to work it won't drop down like that.

2) I 100% saw a different yesterday with C1E being off. I went from 60 fps dipping into 30 fps at weird times to a constant 60+ and sometimes hitting 100 FPS on BC2 6048x1200 full options (besides HAO)

do you have vsync enabled?

Ahh, I see. I've got an i7 930 OC'ed to 4 GHz, and I kept power saving on. It jumps from a little over 2 GHz to 4 when it needs to. I haven't noticed any stability issues on my end with it so I'll probably just keep it the way it is.

I've read in these forums before about this and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that the first processors that started doing this had a bit of a lag time in doing so. So you could actually tell a difference having the CPU run full tilt instead of hopping around.
There might have been more overhead when power saving features were first introduced, but most likely it was just in their heads because people resistant to change (OMG, THEY STEALIN' MAH MHZ!).

As stated, there is no difference. If your CPU had any change between the two there's something wrong. My first guess would be vsync, as Spooony suggested, especially if your frames were only staying at 60FPS or 30FPS. Another possibility would an unstable overclock.

it will do that when the cpu is not in use. So it safe some power and it look after the cpu. Its no use running a cpu @4.5Ghz when its just sitting there doing nothing. But you will see once it start to work it won't drop down like that.

The problem was, is that I DID see it go down to 1.6GHz when it was supposed to be at 4.5GHz

do you have vsync enabled?

No.

There might have been more overhead when power saving features were first introduced, but most likely it was just in their heads because people resistant to change (OMG, THEY STEALIN' MAH MHZ!).

As stated, there is no difference. If your CPU had any change between the two there's something wrong. My first guess would be vsync, as Spooony suggested, especially if your frames were only staying at 60FPS or 30FPS. Another possibility would an unstable overclock.

I don't have VSync. 60FPS is coincidentally my average right now. I see it go up to 90 in BC2. It never goes below 45 now and before I disabled power saving it went down to 30 or sub 30.

Odd I know but... I have my performance now. It felt like something was wrong and this fixed it.

Back