2500k Heat Issue

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
So my 2500k has been running stock most of it's life on a stock cooler. It would idle at around 60c and under load it used to not go much over 80c. Then the other day I was checking temps, and it will go to 99c when playing games.

I pulled off the heatsink and changed out the thermal grease to some arctic silver 5 I had lying around. No improvement.

Anything else I should do. I'm not really comfortable with my chip running that hot, especially because it isn't overclocked at all.

Unless you can find a direct flaw with the cooling. I have a feeling the solder in your 2500K is cracked and its time for a new CPU. I had a friend with the same issue.

Unless you can find a direct flaw with the cooling. I have a feeling the solder in your 2500K is cracked and its time for a new CPU. I had a friend with the same issue.

I guess it's time to upgrade to Ryzen. You'll see a massive improvement in single threaded apps. ;)

Well damn. I don't have the dutch right now. Would getting a better cooler even help?

Well damn. I don't have the dutch right now. Would getting a better cooler even help?

No. An alternative solution could be to read the delid guide on soldered chips. In your case you dont need to delid it. Just to melt the solder and let it cool down again. Maybe you could even do it in the oven?

Back