2500k - Can't get to 4.5Ghz - Plz Help!

dualcore

n00b
My problem............
I can't get to 4.5Ghz, the Bios Freezes.
I've tried up to 1.355v... haven't gone any further....
Reason I haven't pushed much further is, I can do 4.4Ghz on 1.26v with Load Line @ level 5, so 1.3v... hell.. 1.355v should be PLENTY!!

Parts.
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - F3 Bios
G.Skill 1.25v 9-9-9-24 8GB (2x4GB)
212+ Single Fan - temps are 53c on load for 4.4Ghz (Prime95)

Bios will freeze with following........
Multiplier - 45x
BCK is locked @ 100.
PWM Freq Control - Auto
CPU Over Current Protection - Auto
Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage - Disabled
Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS - Enabled
Load Line - LVL6
CPU Core - 1.30v - I've tried up to 1.355... still freezes.
QPI/VTT - 1.050
System Agent Voltage - .925v
CPU PLL - 1.800v
Everything else is set to AUTO.

II would think I still got room left with only 1.26v needed and Load Level 5 for 4.4Ghz.
Why does 4.5Ghz freeze?
Is there a setting I need to change to get to 4.5Ghz or above? I feel like I got a great chip here to work with, but something is limiting me......

Thanks!

I require a decent jump in voltage to get 4.4 stable and 4.5 crashes at pretty much all the voltage I'm willing to give it. I keep my 2500k at 4.3 because of this.

BCK is locked @ 100....Unlocked
Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage - Disabled....Enabled
Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS - Enabled.....Disabled
QPI/VTT - 1.050....Set to auto
System Agent Voltage...Set to auto
CPU PLL....Set to aoto
Thanks!
Try above

Try above

Something in those settings WORKED!!...
Not exactly sure WHAT it was... but it worked.... I'm now sporting 4.5Ghz....
1.31v according to the Touch Bios 27c idle
1.34v during Prime95 and 57c

Wonder what setting actually pushed me over .......
Whatever it is.. I'm happy, and can now try for higher....
Thanks!

BTW - What is Real Time Ratio changes in OS - and why would you want that disabled vs enabled???

^^ When you use asus turbo V to change multi on cpu

But I have a GigaByte board, not an Asus.....
Seems like the ratio's change when they are suppose too, so is setting this to disabled a delayed change vs instantaneous with Real time enabled?

I had to turn the PCH voltage up to 1.95 for mine to be stable at 4.5ghz 1.32 core. My temps are a bit hotter then yours though when I read the individual cores, I get as high as 78C when running Prime 95 for a couple hours. Still blow my 920 at 3.8ghz out of the water. That CPU would reach 90C on a hot day when running prime 95....

The fix for you was turning on Internal PLL Overvoltage. That's a necessary step to OC and bin a chip as well :)

The fix for you was turning on Internal PLL Overvoltage. That's a necessary step to OC and bin a chip as well :)

My 2600K is running at 4.5 with Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled. I was even able to do 4.6. But 4.7 needed me to enable it. Maybe 2500K is different?

My 2600K is running at 4.5 with Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled. I was even able to do 4.6. But 4.7 needed me to enable it. Maybe 2500K is different?

PLL overvoltage generally only for 4.9 and above in my testing.

PLL overvoltage generally only for 4.9 and above in my testing.

Most people say going about 4.5-4.6 requires it to be turned on. Of course that is chip dependant, and also possible that you have it set on auto and it does it automatically. I generally go with enabled/disabled though to better control it.

Not true man, PLL overvoltage is usually at least not necessary until 4.8 ghz if you have a great chip, but to each his own. I absolutely do not need it until 5 ghz and above. It was added to P67 bios' back after first release due to the higher than 49x multi wall iirc.

Back