2500k can't get 5.0 ghz no matter how high the volts

dpk33

Limp Gawd
My friend's 2500k won't go past 4.7 ghz no matter what volts we use. We've tried 1.65 volts and still cant reach 4.8-5.0ghz range. We tried 1.75 volts, still to no avail. We just bumped it back to the 1.4 volts it was at before. Does this mean my friend has a bottom-of-the-barrel chip, or is there more to overclocking then just Vcore and multiplier?

It's basically all luck if yours can hit 5ghz... Some can, some can't no matter what you do. Either sell it and get another one or live with it. Won't notice any difference in the end.

1.75V? Ouch... Pumping voltage into a processor won't magically make it run at really high clocks.

1.75 volts was only for a few minutes. We just wanted to see if this chip was capable of reaching any type of frequency near 5 ghz.

Too much voltage can make a CPU unstable too (or fry it..), especially since that will probably mean very high temperatures as well.

There are various other settings that can affect overclocking too, the multiplier/Vcore are just the ones that make the most difference. Once you start getting towards the limit of your chip you may need to start tweaking the other stuff like PLL, LLC, etc. Make sure you read about and understand what these settings are doing first though.

It may just be a "bad" chip too, although that's a relative term. SB at 4.7ghz still has some beastly performance. 5ghz would only be about 6% more mhz, so even in programs that are 100% CPU bound, you are only missing out on 6%. That's nothing to be too upset over IMO. ;)

Well the heat couldn't have been that bad. None of the cores have gone over 70C during this process. I guess he'll be fine with 4.7 ghz.

Well the heat couldn't have been that bad. None of the cores have gone over 70C during this process. I guess he'll be fine with 4.7 ghz.

That's hard to believe. I imagine you haven't put any load on it during that testing? What are you using for cooling?

A Thermalright Silver Arrow is being used for cooling. We did about 10 seconds of intel burn test before it blue screened. After 5 seconds of intel burn, everything was hovering around 70 degrees until the BSOD.

Back