2500 XP not running at normal speeds

nitefallz

2[H]4U
Specs:

All new stuff:
MSI KT4AV-L
2500 XP Barton
512mb Corsair XM DDR400

Motherboard defaults to 100FSB, I change it to 166 (cause the board is suppose to be 333) and the system won't post.

It did post when I changed the multiplier to 12.5/13 and FSB of 150 however SiSandra and the FuzzyLogic software that comes with the motherboard are still reporting 11x multiplier and 100 fsb. Any mhz reading I get is around 1100.

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? :confused:

Originally posted by nitefallz
Specs:

All new stuff:
MSI KT4AV-L
2500 XP Barton
512mb Corsair XM DDR400

Motherboard defaults to 100FSB, I change it to 166 (cause the board is suppose to be 333) and the system won't post.

It did post when I changed the multiplier to 12.5/13 and FSB of 150 however SiSandra and the FuzzyLogic software that comes with the motherboard are still reporting 11x multiplier and 100 fsb. Any mhz reading I get is around 1100.

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? :confused:

Get a new board. That one sounds like it's toast. Try updating BIOS and clearing CMOS though, before you scrap your current board. :)

perhaps you have to flash your bios. I dont know anything about msi boards though, sorry.

Just curious... You said this is all new stuff? Where did you get a board like that? It's a bit old... At least, I believe it is. Hope the place you got it from has a good return policy. ^^*

I got it from new egg, its not that old really. It's a newer version of an old board i think. I'm thinking about sending it back though. Any good board recommendations?

I got it from new egg, its not that old really. It's a newer version of an old board i think. I'm thinking about sending it back though. Any good board recommendations?

Anything with an NForce2 in it. :p Epox 8RDA3+ is a good start. ;)

Abit till I die :D

did u check the jumper settings for your mobo?
there should be one that sets it to 100/133 or 133/166

Check the jumpers. Generally, on older boards, the FSB could be adjusted by dipswitches and jumpers. If not, get an Abit NF7-S. Many on this forum, including myself, swear by them.

My MSI mobo (sig) has two jumpers for the FSB settings, straight from the Manual:

manual.JPG

Check for those, incase.

Or Asus. Whichever you like. Just make sure it's nForce2 :D

Originally posted by zombiebeat
Abit till I die :D

AGREED. scrap that MSI and get an NF7-S v2.0. i built a machine for someone with an MSI board once (he bought the parts lol) and the thing blew capacitors after 6 months. i wont mess with MSI anymore...they are pretty low-end like biostar.

when you run 166, what is the ram at? im hoping you set it to 1:1? that could be your issues? i may have not read it thoughourhglysuh enough though

Originally posted by ziddey
when you run 166, what is the ram at? im hoping you set it to 1:1? that could be your issues? i may have not read it thoughourhglysuh enough though

There's no ratio setting anywhere either. I can manually set the speed of the memory, it'll let me choose 200, 266, 333, and 400.

However, the software readings I get from diagnostic tools like Sandra, don't offer the same readings. Everything just seems to not work right.

Dude there are plenty of people that don't think MSI boards are low end. My kt3 Ultra is going on a 1-1/2 yrs running at 166, when it's technically a 133 board. And MSI boards are not king overclockers.

Go to www.amdmb.com and go talk to the guys in the msi board section, they know there stuff and will be more of a help then some of these folk.

Oh, and my board doesn't have jumpers either, all controlled in the bios, makes it very easy to setup.

i will never use another ASUS for an AMD chip, ever sorry

MSI boards are great, not the best O/C'ers but rock solid, i use them in all my game server machines that i build... and they run 24/7... MSI is NOTHING like biostar or any of those crappy boards, their NForce2 boards are nothing short of great... my friend has his 2500@ 3200 on his MSI NForce2 board and has never had a hickkup

as for that particular problem... can the KT400 even run a barton?

Originally posted by FLECOM
i will never use another ASUS for an AMD chip, ever sorry

MSI boards are great, not the best O/C'ers but rock solid, i use them in all my game server machines that i build... and they run 24/7... MSI is NOTHING like biostar or any of those crappy boards, their NForce2 boards are nothing short of great... my friend has his 2500@ 3200 on his MSI NForce2 board and has never had a hickkup

as for that particular problem... can the KT400 even run a barton?
Should be able to as far as I know, any reason it shouldn't be able to?

Should be able to as far as I know, any reason it shouldn't be able to?
you should be able to run the 333fsb bartons but not the 200 ones

edit: 2000 posts

48 more to go

Well, I took the processor out to verify it was a 2500 XP barton, and it is.

Put it back in, and I can post now at 166 FSB and 333mhz for the ram(not 400 :( )

I guess all is good.

Don't know wtf happened though.

Well, I took the processor out to verify it was a 2500 XP barton, and it is.

Put it back in, and I can post now at 166 FSB and 333mhz for the ram(not 400 :( )

I guess all is good.

Don't know wtf happened though.

Put a multiplier on the RAM, or select AUTO for the RAM. Should help. :)

MSI boards are great. I never had any real problems with the 2 ive built.

I have built a system using a KT3 Ultra and a K7N2 Delta. Both gave me no problems.

Back