2500+ oc'd to 3200+ on stock amd cooling straight out of box?

Devin

Gawd
Is this common? Straight out of the box I was hitting 3200+ with lots more room to go...and thats on stock amd cooling..

never had this sort of oc before so this got me very excited :)

From what I've read around the forums is that some of the newer 2500's come with some decent stock cooling that can go to 3200 speeds with ease. I think it's because on the alum. cooler there is a center piece that is copper? correct me if I'm wrong. That's pretty much all I know :p

Correct, my stock cooler has a slab of copper on the bottom. I guess that helped me do 3200+ (200x11) speeds for a while, with decent temperature readings of 50C full load.

a wile back i picked up 5 2500+ chips, and 3 were brown, and 2 were green. The brown ones all came with a copper insert on the bottem on the HS, and all were dected as 3200+ chips with the 3200 ddr in them.

the 2 green ones booted as 2500+

I dont really think that this is much of an overclock. I think that we just got some 3200 chips. I mean if they overclock with no change to the voltage and run stable at that speed then that leads me to believe we just got 3200's for the price of a 2500. Catch my drift. Now start going above 200x11 and do some real overclocking.

I didnt overclock the mochines they wentinto because there for a LAN store and i dont want to deal with instability and heat. But they do run 3200+ just fine. As i left them, and the green ones run 2800+ good.

All the bartons basically have the same heat room for overclocking wheather you buy a 2500+ or a 3200+, 2.3-2.5 is the roof.

I can also confirm that the 2000+ xps are shipping with the new stock coolers with the copper insert. Also useing better fans than previous stock fans as well.

I think I got a 3200+ chip also... Stock voltages and really low temps, with the stock HS/Fan. Seems like a pretty nice HS/Fan though, a lot better than I have seen come retail previously from AMD.

The one I picked up was brown btw...

Yeah I was very confused when I first popped it in....It posted as 2500+ but then I realized the ram was only running at 333 - which although would be correct for the cpu, it defaulted to 400 with my older 2400+ upon post...up'd the bios setting to 200 for ram and voila - 3200+. I just about crapped myself when I realized the oc...I have never gotton more than 100mhz oc's before so this was a nice surprise...

yep mine is green and its locked up, Kinda sucks.
But its going to be watercooled so we will see how far that fsb can go

Originally posted by Devin
Is this common? Straight out of the box I was hitting 3200+ with lots more room to go...and thats on stock amd cooling..

never had this sort of oc before so this got me very excited :)

Yes it's very common; I'm yet to hear of an XP2500+ not able to hit 3200 speeds; many people buy XP2500s because they can get a 400MHz overclock very easily.

I just bought a 2500 while on holidays and am having problems hitting 2500 and keeping it stable. I keep getting blue screens. Even tried to drop it to like 3000 and 2800, but am having no luck.

Count me in as another lucky SOB. My 2500 nailed 200x11 (posted as a 3200) without breaking a sweat (30-32 idle, 38-40 load).
I really should see how far I can push it one day though. Especially with this recent cold snap. Its like -30 celcius here, and my window is a little infront of (and above, duh) my computer. If I crack the window, cold air falls to the floor and gets sucked into the case. Within a couple minutes the CPU drops a few degrees, and the case plummets (lowest I could stand was 13C) Pretty damned handy, as long as I'm wearing warm socks :p.

Originally posted by MachDelta
Count me in as another lucky SOB. My 2500 nailed 200x11 (posted as a 3200) without breaking a sweat (30-32 idle, 38-40 load).
I really should see how far I can push it one day though. Especially with this recent cold snap. Its like -30 celcius here, and my window is a little infront of (and above, duh) my computer. If I crack the window, cold air falls to the floor and gets sucked into the case. Within a couple minutes the CPU drops a few degrees, and the case plummets (lowest I could stand was 13C) Pretty damned handy, as long as I'm wearing warm socks :p.
I'd keep an eye out for condensation.

my athlon xp 2600+ is overclocked past 3200+ speeds, its running at 2366.6 mhz, and btw its stock cooling

Back