2500+ OC limits

mutthead21

Weaksauce
Howdy all,

long time reader fist time poster...

I have an unlocked Barton 2500+ which is overclocked to 186*11=2047. I can't get above this speed with any stability. Temps around 49C idle - 60C under load at 1.72V. i have this h/s - fan at 4600 rpm but its generic. any thoughts ideas?? i'd like to get it running at 3200+ speeds but not sure if it's capable.

Mutt

Yeah, your hs/f is definately a limitation...take fully_Sik's advice and get a new one. Also make sure you have good airflow in your case. Its also a bit of luck of the draw with getting an exceptional overclocking chip, but you should be able to do at least 2.2~2.3 with a better heatsink setup and more volts.

Ditch that POS heatsink and go with a thermalright 947U or A with a 90mm fan. If you still can't get to 2.2Ghz then it must be your RAM or you are lacking in the basics orf mad OC skilz. Don't feel bad tho we all were at some point. Just post again.

LOL I have a heatsink and fan similar to that and right now with my t-bred overclocked i'm running at 41C idle 48-50C load, unless it's warm outside then it's about 43-45C idle and 55C load. 203x11 = 2.23GHz. Aluminum piece of shit oh well. I'll probably get a Thermaltake Polo 35 and get another 100mhz off the core :D

Roger the comments, and thx.

Gonna give memtest a run tonight then work on the pos hsf. will post results.

Mutt

With my mobile 2600+, SLK947-U, as5, and 80mm delta, I'm running @ 2.7GHz w/ 1.93v...and my temperatures are way lower at my speed than yours with that cooler at your speed.

Ditch that POS heatsink and go with a thermalright 947U or A with a 90mm fan. If you still can't get to 2.2Ghz then it must be your RAM or you are lacking in the basics orf mad OC skilz. Don't feel bad tho we all were at some point. Just post again.

Done. Picked this thermaltake hsf up - and have hit 3200+ at 1.8v Prime95 stable.

With my mobile 2600+, SLK947-U, as5, and 80mm delta, I'm running @ 2.7GHz w/ 1.93v...and my temperatures are way lower at my speed than yours with that cooler at your speed.

Well that is a mobile - mine isn't - and I've got high ambient temps here ~30C, and I'm pretty sure it's an early chip - unlocked - so mebee it's just not happy at higher speeds. No arctic silver but I'm sure it's seated correct. with aircon running temps come down 5-9C which is a fair bit. I always run the a/c when I game.
Can some one post how to add a photo to my post?

Thx

Mutt

go find a free server (freewebs, altavista, ect) and link to the picture from there. if anyone knows of one that allows hotlinking, please enlighten us.

ps- isn't there a sticky somewhere about posting pictures?

I was rocking an XP 1700 that was wired modded to 2370 (16x148 w/stock voltage) using a 2004 LE DP102 with 2 80mm fans... ran F@H for weeks without reboot. Ran 58* in 33* ambients at full load.

its all about getting the heat off the die and out of the case.

Well since I've had this Barton 2500+ I've been rocking 2.2ghz @ stock voltage. Its really stable even with my messed up ram. And just recently I rose it to 2.3 and it was sorta stable at stock voltage but then I rose the voltage to 1.7 and it ran like buttah. So depends on the bios and mobo you have they can still go high :)

I have an
MSI K7N2 Delta L and award wininng bios forgot the version :confused:

You guys are lucky. I must just have a bum chip. Mind you - 2.2G for 2500+ prices ain't bad. Figure I could run it happily at 2.3G but don't need the speed. Might crank it up for gaming or encoding pleasures...

PS does anyone know if the NF-7 reports high CPU temps?

Mutt

i have one one on an original amd hsf , it runs at 11x200 @ 1.80v just fine .

my mobile runs at 12.5 x200 @ 1.65v finr

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR and I can't get the chip stable at 3200+. Its an early chip (unlocked) and I ran it for the longest time at 2800+ (previous board wouldn't do 200FSB) without any trouble. I have this heatsink (w/ arctic silver paste) cranked all the way up, and the voltage at max 1.8 (with newest MSI BIOS). The RAM is only PC2700, but its still running at 166. This is my brother in law's machine and I don't know if he'll spring for more RAM just yet. Does anyone know if leaving the RAM asynchronous prevents a stable 3200+? Symptoms are it posts, loads windows fine and I can start Prime95, but the machine hangs after several minutes (no reboot, just freezes). I'm thinking maybe bad PS? It's a 300W and the rails seem fine, but I don't know if 3200+ is too much for it.

Back