2500+ OC and retail heatsink?

Surly

Limp Gawd
Ok need some opinions. With the new A64 timetables, it looks like I wont be able to buy my new ninja system until late may. :(
I simply cannot stand my 1.4tbird/256megs PC133 ram any longer. UT2K4, Battlefield Vietnam and Far Cry are calling. So... I'm looking into a teeny little bump to get me through March april and may (when I'll buy my bigboy 'Doom3/Half-Life2' uber box)

I've come up with the obvious/easy/cheap upgrade: Barton 2500+, Asus A7NX-VM, and one stick of 512meg PC3200 ram. The idea is to keep things CHEAP here (thus the single stick of memory - plus everything I've read indicates that dual memory channels doesnt really do jack all for the athlon Xp's anyways). So, I was wondering, would the retail heatsink and fan of the 2500+ do an ADEQUATE job of cooling an overclocked 2500+? I really dont want to buy a fancy schmancy $50 cooler for this budget, cheapo, temporary upgrade.

Thoughts?

Don't do it. I know the temptation is diffficult, but you must resist. Save your pennies. Put all your money in a new A64 system in July. Don;t buy old technology.

Why don't you just buy A64 now? You're gonna spend over $200 on the xp2500, mobo and RAM, might as well go all the way and get a socket 754 A64 3000 (or 2800 when it comes out real soon). At least it'll be worth buying :rolleyes:

because I'm really wanting a 939pin, pci-express based motherboard with a 3800+/FX-55 to be my longterm solution. But thats not going to happen until late may/june. And UT2K4/Far Cry/BF:Vietnam at 20ish fps isnt any fun (its my cpu - I have a 9800/9800Pro I purchased back in november).

An A64 3000+ upgrade would end up costing me between $500 and $550 dollars. Too much. $300 I can justify to get me through 4 months.

(all dollar figures are canadian btw)

Fair enuff :)

CPU - If I were you your shoes, I would get a XP1800 and OC it to about 2.2ghz or so. They go for $49 at newegg, but I don't know how much they go for in Canada. Throw in a cheap but decent HSF if you have to I guess.

Motherboard - that A7N8X-VM is about $100 here. Phuck that. I'd get the Biostar M7NCG (nforce2 ultra400) for $65.

Memory - Here's where you may want to splurge, since your 939 A64 will be able to use the same memory. I'd get some good low latency pc3200 or higher. Get a single stick of course. The single channel performance of nforce2 isn't as good as dual, but I'd definitely get a single stick and leave yourself the option of adding a second stick in that new rig later on.

I think my price quotes won't be worth a damn to you because canadian prices are all messed up :(

Act quickly. This deal can't last.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=737683

Great package deal
No trades or splitting.

xp2100 "B" cpu will hit 2.4 Ghz
epox 8rda+ nforce 2 board (onboard lan, sound)
Thermalright slk-800 hsf & 80 mm LED smart fan
Aspire 500 watt ps ( blue LED fans/UV reactive molexs)

$135 & buyer pays shipping.

US Postal money orders only.

Heatware nic= ZigZagZeppelin

Back