2500+ barton to 2500+M ?

Mellman

Limp Gawd
I see the "should i change to a 2500+m from a 2.4C....but im in a different situation.

Im currently building an HTPC, and need a cpu for it. Seeing these incredible OC results with the mobiles, gave me the OC itch again. I've got an A7N8X Deluxe that i can overclock my barton pretty decently with (2.4Ghz @1.8) and i had it higher but didnt feel like messing with it much more. in any case, is it only the 2400+ and 2500+ mobiles that OC well? do the 2600+ not give as much benefit? I would move the current barton into my server pc, and use a the 2100+ in my server for the HTPC.

Is the higher OC ability worth it, or should i just buy a slower cpu for the HTPC?

The 2400+M is the only one you should looking at first of all, since they are all pretty much the same chip except they are set to different standard speeds. They are not that expensive, so you could get one if your tuner card doesn't have hardware encoding. If the card does, then there is no real reason to get a 2400+M.

the 2400M isnt for the HTPC, it'd be replacing the 2500+ in my main rig, because of its overclocking potential.

so the 2500M's dont oc like the 2400M's?

My 2600-m does 240x10.5=2520mhz @ 1.75v. Personally I think they all max out at about the same speed but some of the 2400s are dogs. I paid $20 more and got the 2600-m because from what i have read online my chances are higher that I would get a good performer.

toastie_gplracer.gif

If you are already at 2.4 don't worry about it... some mobiles overclock to 2.4-2.5 and some go 2.6-2.7+, it is just luck of the draw.

Save your money, yours is plenty fast.

Originally posted by jamesx2k
So 2.4 is the norm for a 2400M?

I'd say so , I got a pretty poopy stepping and I'm still able to achieve 2.4ghz.

Originally posted by jamesx2k
So 2.4 is the norm for a 2400M?

I believe so. My 2400 is running 2.3 @ 1.7. I can hit 2.4 stable @ 1.775, but I like my cpu running cool

I've got a desktop 2500+ that runs a little over 2.4, which is going on the auction block..

I also have a 2600M that is MUCH, MUCH higher :)

I've got a later stepping 2500+ (AQZFA, baby!) which does 250x11 ~ 2750 mhz (haven't tested it for stability yet, need a waterblock, this is in my new, TO be main rig)

i've seen some mobiles that are aqzfas, and my chip does 1.83@ 1.4v

Maybe you should see what you can do with that 2500+ before jumping the gun ;D

This is exactly what I did. Replaced my XP2500+ Barton AQXDA (which did 2.2ghz btw) with XP2500+ Mobile IQYHA and a different mobo. I also put watercooling that I had lying around for a while. Now I can get 2.7ghz (13x200) @ 1.9v Prime95 stable for 5+ hours (or even more, never tried longer). Never reaching 45C under heavy load for hours. I can boot into windows and benchmark with 3dmark and etc. @ 2.8ghz, but not prime95 stable. Even at 2.7ghz... it's still 500mhz over what I had, so I'm not complaining.

Originally posted by SycoraX
This is exactly what I did. Replaced my XP2500+ Barton AQXDA (which did 2.2ghz btw) with XP2500+ Mobile IQYHA and a different mobo. I also put watercooling that I had lying around for a while. Now I can get 2.7ghz (13x200) @ 1.9v Prime95 stable for 5+ hours (or even more, never tried longer). Never reaching 45C under heavy load for hours. I can boot into windows and benchmark with 3dmark and etc. @ 2.8ghz, but not prime95 stable. Even at 2.7ghz... it's still 500mhz over what I had, so I'm not complaining.

I'd love to do this. I wouldn't need another mobo, but I can't afford/be assed to setup/ a watercooling system.

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
I'd love to do this. I wouldn't need another mobo, but I can't afford/be assed to setup/ a watercooling system.

Even without the WC Mobiles overclock like crazy... Go for it.

I have a XP-Mobile 2500+ and it's currently running the spec in the sig. I've had it over 2724Mhz but not stable with air at 1.9v.

Originally posted by CypHill
I have a XP-Mobile 2500+ and it's currently running the spec in the sig. I've had it over 2724Mhz but not stable with air at 1.9v.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but before you did the L12 mod, what FSB max would you achieve?

Sadly, my Mobile 2500+ only clocks to 2.5ghz at 1.85v and runs pretty damn hot.

Sure I can get to 250FSB but then the DFI board starts giving out on me. I think I need to add active cooling to North/South bridges and passive to the LAN, USB, etc. because they fail at high speeds.

I really wish I could go higher with my CPU though, it won't even boot at 2.7ghz and I tried up to 2.00v! I hear many people run 2.5ghz at 1.65v stable but I need 1.85 unfortunately. Could this possibly be because of a poor PSU? (300w)

250 FSB with 1.85 is very nice, I believe that most people that are doing 2.7 are doing it with lower fsb and higher multiplyers so I would say thats a heck of a proc.

On the question of Mobile vs Non, I would suggest the Mobile. I've been stuck with this 2500+ that can barely do 2.2 at 1.8 volts so 2.5Ghz at less then 1.8 sounds like a real treat. Its really up to you though, you seem to do pretty good with your 2500 so if you feel the need to gain a couple more points then go for it.

Worse comes to worse you could always sell the junk one to a friend that doesn't know any better. ;)

Originally posted by Swat
I'd say so , I got a pretty poopy stepping and I'm still able to achieve 2.4ghz.

make that two. i just found out i dont prime95 at [email protected]. that SUCKS because I have watercooling.

just a little FYI:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3550

thats only $12 more than newegg and its GUARANTEED the second best stepping (IQZHA is the absolute best but theyre rare, this one is the exact same except no 3 ghz reported with one ;))

Originally posted by SycoraX
Not trying to hijack the thread, but before you did the L12 mod, what FSB max would you achieve?

Not sure because I did the mod when I got my PC3500. Before I was using PC2700 and running 15x169.

its a throw in the air if ima go mobile or not, my barton lockedcan do 227fsb @ 2.5ghz with 1.75v in windows, run benches and so fourth... not prime stable , i havent tried raising the voltage for prime stabillity...

Originally posted by paulmofyourhand
its a throw in the air if ima go mobile or not, my barton lockedcan do 227fsb @ 2.5ghz with 1.75v in windows, run benches and so fourth... not prime stable , i havent tried raising the voltage for prime stabillity...

Exactly, I wouldn't bother getting a new CPU if I were you. The chances of you doing better than 2.5 are very low.

Case in point, my 2500+ M can only do 2.5 stable on 1.85 ghz with very loud air cooling so your regular barton is already 0.10 volts more efficient and much cooler than me.

Back