~250 GB SSD for OS and applications

Tup3x

[H]ard|Gawd
Since the prices have come down quite a bit I think it's about time to move my Samsung 830 128GB to my laptop (which has ridiculously slow HDD even though it's supposed to be 7200 rpm model). Any recommendations? It shouldn't be slower and it should be offer at least 2x more storage capacity and it should be something else than Samsung EVO series. I'm looking for great bang for € so preferably closer to 100 € than 200 €.

if you don't want evo, the crucial mx100/200 are pretty good value models.

SanDisk Extreme Pro, if you don't like the EVO. But really, the 850 EVO shouldn't suffer from the same problems as the 840 EVO.

I've been thinking about Crucials but I wonder about if BX is a bit too low end. MX200 has problems when you start filing it. HyperX Savage would go for 99€ but real world speed doesn't seem to be that great.

I must say that 850 EVO doesn't seem to be that bad choice. The price is competitive (basically the same as BX100) and it has long warranty. I'm pretty sure that it kicks 830 128GB's butt in pretty much every situation... 850 EVO could be pretty smart choice. Intel 730 is horribly overpriced here for some reason.

Daumn eett. Considering the price differences and warranties I wonder if I should just get that 850 EVO...? It seems to offer a bit better bang for € than BX100 or MX200.

MX200 problems only come in when you want to copy 200GB of data sequentially. For normal usage the drive would be faster than most. It weites in SLC mode and then moves the data to MLC when it is idle. Thats why if you write more data than the amount of free space it has, it has to move data to MLC on the fly and erase old cells to make room for new data. And this is only for the 250GB drive. I would use 2 of those to get 500GB rather than a single 500GB drive which would give me over 800MB real world speeds for almost all usage.. The MX200 250GB is $99..

http://techreport.com/review/27824/crucial-bx100-and-mx200-solid-state-drives-reviewed

500GB version of MX200 would be really good but the 250GB version... I'm not so sure. Putting SSD's in RAID0 usually don't seem to help much in random read situations or at least in lowering access times. I wouldn't use RAID0 for OS anyway. Here in Finland 850 EVO is a bit cheaper.
I wondered why you ruled out EVO.
Well, I didn't rule it out. :p Just wanted other recommendations first.

Last edited:
The MX200 256GB drive would be much faster since it writes in SLC mode. It slowly moves data into MLC area when idle. Other drives do it too but only for 5 or 10GB, here that is 120GB. It also gives you 3x the life since it lowers write amplification a lot. The 500GB drive do not do this. Which is why I said I would use 2 250GB MX200 drives for speeds. But everyone has their own preferences. No matter how fast things are after a point, it dont matter.. Like when you click on a program it takes 1 or 3 seconds to come up.. You can not move fast enough to do anything.. But in a browser session when you click on something, that will really annoy you since you can not do anything but wait until the page appears.
The MX would last a lot longer than the evo.. But how long would it take you to write 200TB of data anyway.. Not going to matter if it is like over 5 or 10 years. Not many people would use something that slow 5 years from now as no one uses sata 1 any longer or even sata 2. Samsung just seems to be hype like apple. Rectangle curves instead of round curves are worth a billion bucks and it can be patented so no one else can do it..

Back