25% Off Hotness! Audioengine A5+ Desktop Speaker @ $299

Great speakers, a bit boomy for my tastes but I always had them on my desktop so placement may have been an issue. I came away preferring the cheaper a2's for whatever reason!

For desktop usage with the D1 DAC how much of an improvement are these over the A2's?

The link takes me to a login page.?

All you need to do to create a login is give them your password.. I'd say it's worth every bit of $100... I have it, and quite honestly, they do have an eclectic mix of quality products that come through. This is the best deal I've seen though, maybe one other so far...

For desktop usage with the D1 DAC how much of an improvement are these over the A2's?

I don't know that answer, sorry... Call them up and ask! They seem to be pretty helpful...

I found my first [H]ot deal! Kind of excited! ;c)

Bought these in the last Massdrop group buy.

My previous speakers were M-Audio AV40.
The A5+ are significantly heavier than the AV40.
Sound quality of the A5+ is better than AV40.

Only wish that the A5+ weren't so darn expensive!

Bought these in the last Massdrop group buy.

My previous speakers were M-Audio AV40.
The A5+ are significantly heavier than the AV40.
Sound quality of the A5+ is better than AV40.

Only wish that the A5+ weren't so darn expensive!

You get what you pay for.

This is a typical price. I got the original A5s in 2008 for $300 directly from AE, and I often see discount codes knocking the new version down to $300.

But they are nice speakers. If you've never experienced mids before, you're in for a treat.

This is a typical price. I got the original A5s in 2008 for $300 directly from AE, and I often see discount codes knocking the new version down to $300.

But they are nice speakers. If you've never experienced mids before, you're in for a treat.

Well bew on that! News to me I guess.. Don't know until you tried... New version as in A5+, yeah?

How would these sound when playing Metal? I'm somewhat happy with my AV40's, but they could be better.

How would these sound when playing Metal? I'm somewhat happy with my AV40's, but they could be better.

Are you playing metal where the production values were held to a high standard?

Metal is a little frustrating on hi fi. Good speakers can sometimes bring out recording flaws more readily than in other music varieties since the production is sometimes not quite to the same level. It's a little tougher to get the levels and compression right.

These are good speakers. but you'll still need a sub for rock music. Most especially for hard rock and metal. Double especially for just about anything live on DVD or Blu-ray.

This is not a knock against the speakers. these have very capable bass response and with a good quality eq, you can get quite a bit out of them. If you are looking for an all in two solution, these are a decent choice.

But as an FYI, a sub with decent, controllable crossover is still needed for impact in the lowest lows, for rock, hard rock, metal.

As far as the other frequencies:

Highs are even and fairly rich.

High mids are also even and fairly rich. Careful with EQ, however.

Mids, especially in the vocals range, are very good.

Lower mids for stuff like bass guitars is still good, but a little bit scooped here (I'm a bassist) and it can be tough to EQ it in.

Mid bass is very full, even without EQ. As such, you have to be careful with EQ, because these can get boomy pretty quickly. However, if you don't pump the EQ too much in this area, the mid bass has good depth and control. It doesn't sound boxey or flat.

These are good speakers. but you'll still need a sub for rock music. Most especially for hard rock and metal. Double especially for just about anything live on DVD or Blu-ray.

This is not a knock against the speakers. these have very capable bass response and with a good quality eq, you can get quite a bit out of them. If you are looking for an all in two solution, these are a decent choice.

But as an FYI, a sub with decent, controllable crossover is still needed for impact in the lowest lows, for rock, hard rock, metal.

As far as the other frequencies:

Highs are even and fairly rich.

High mids are also even and fairly rich. Careful with EQ, however.

Mids, especially in the vocals range, are very good.

Lower mids for stuff like bass guitars is still good, but a little bit scooped here (I'm a bassist) and it can be tough to EQ it in.

Mid bass is very full, even without EQ. As such, you have to be careful with EQ, because these can get boomy pretty quickly. However, if you don't pump the EQ too much in this area, the mid bass has good depth and control. It doesn't sound boxey or flat.

So, if I've purchased these speakers, what would be a good sub to buy to compliment them? Actually, I'm wondering if I can use the sub that came with my Definitive Technologies PC600 HTIB setup that is currently parked...?

I have the A2's and I still love them. Too bad space is a concern on my setup so the A2's stay, otherwise, Bamboo A5+ all the way!

So, if I've purchased these speakers, what would be a good sub to buy to compliment them? Actually, I'm wondering if I can use the sub that came with my Definitive Technologies PC600 HTIB setup that is currently parked...?

The sub must have it's own power. Pretty much anything with an adjustable crossover should be fine. and the Sub must have RCA inputs on it or an input that can be converted from RCA. As L+R RCA is the only output on the A5/A5+.

I have my A5s setup with a Polk PSW10.

I got a pair last drop as well and they are super nice(I got the white ver.) I find the bass to be sufficient for me because I mostly listen to trance and progressive with a EQ. This is the third drop that I've seen and I wish I've gotten a pair sooner :D

The sub must have it's own power. Pretty much anything with an adjustable crossover should be fine. and the Sub must have RCA inputs on it or an input that can be converted from RCA. As L+R RCA is the only output on the A5/A5+.

I have my A5s setup with a Polk PSW10.

Hah! I have a PSW10 for my TV (which I subbed in (yes, pun intended)) for the Def Tech PC600 amp, that I couldn't get going right - it would always bottom out on me. Still not exactly sure what that means, and still am forgetting to look it up.

I got a pair last drop as well and they are super nice(I got the white ver.) I find the bass to be sufficient for me because I mostly listen to trance and progressive with a EQ. This is the third drop that I've seen and I wish I've gotten a pair sooner :D

Yah know, I was debating white, and I think they looked good in that color.. But, I have a Caselabs M8 (black), will probably have black monitors, so I felt the white might not work... Then again, maybe it would...

I am so very tempted to jump on this. I love my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras but as I've slowly become more critical of my listening experience, I'm noticing the glaring shortcomings of the tiny satellites. I'm not sure I could give up a 5.1 system for a 2.0

If all else fails, I could keep my Klipsch until I get a full home theater setup and use the A5+ in the kitchen while I'm cooking..... decisions, decisions!

The smaller, more PC-marketed Klipsch sets are tinny to me. I ditched my ProMedia years ago. AE blows any of those away.

And yes, these have decent lows, but you'll need a sub for any real punch. I have my A5 set on acoustic foam pads.

Strongly recommend to the folks jumping on this hot price that you get some sort of stands to elevate the speakers so that their tweeters are at or slightly above ear level. Books, boxes, bricks, it's not so much important what the stands are made of as that they get the speakers away from the desk and up even with your ears.

I decided to bite on the A5+ as well as the S8 sub. Thanks for the heads up

ugh i was really hoping these expired so i could miss the opportunity. so tempting ...

received mine today. pretty stunned at the build quality. haven't been able to turn them up too loud yet. still at the office.

Great speakers, a bit boomy for my tastes but I always had them on my desktop so placement may have been an issue. I came away preferring the cheaper a2's for whatever reason!

Lucky you! ;)

Did anyone get floor standing speaker stands to bring it to eat level? If so, where and how much?

the new buy on the A2+ gives me hope that new drops for the A5+ and S8 come up soon.

I love my A5+

I modded them with foam speaker insulation and silicone sealed the drivers and back plates. Also modded the crossovers with "audiophile" caps and resistors. Really tightened up the sound.

So, the big question is... Should I stick with my Def Tech PC600 Home theater speakers that I am no longer using? Or go for the A5s? I placed an order with the massdrop, but apparently they never changed me due to some issues, so I still have access to the price. Taking that into consideration, should I pounce, and sell off my Def Tech speakers?
I guess only benefit for PC600s is that I have a center channel... And if I sold off the speakers, I would probably keep the sub that came with them. Maybe go A5s with Def Tech sub?

If you weren't using the other speakers before, then it really depends on what you want to do. I've never been a surround guy. I like listening to music cleanly and accurately from 2 properly positioned channels (room acoustics ignored here, I don't have the ability to do much about that until I own the house)

Seems you would probably get a better deal selling your speakers as a package including the sub, and if so I've only read good things about the Audioengine S8 Sub. You could obviously still use the sub, but as with any sub it may take some time tweaking to get it matched up nicely to your monitors.

Back