25 FPS in CS on Radeon 9800XT?

Escher

Limp Gawd
Here's my rig:

AMD AthlonXP 1800+
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9800XT 256 MB RAM
Audigy 1
couple hard drives, cd burner, dvd burner, floppy, etc ...

Replaced my GF3 with this 9800XT and my frames are still dipping to the 25 mark in Counter-Strike. Most times, it's hitting the 99 fps ceiling, but on several maps it's in the 45-55 range consistently, and on most maps there are times when it shoves down to the 25 plateau.

I already disabled the ATI strings found in the config file, per a suggestion in a different post.

Playing the game at 1024x768, 32 bit, 6X AF, 16X AA in OpenGL mode (because DX mode is all corrupted for some weird reason). Now the quality settings may be high, but this is the top of the line card running a 5 year old game! It should be able to handle it, shouldn't it?

The card has the power to run the game without issue, but ATI has had driver problems with CS for some time now.

Even on the best systems cs can drop fps with smoke nades if you have AA and AF at teh highest. I know its rediculous but I think cs itself cant handle it or somthing (something with teh engine mabye??) I dont really know.

I play with 4xAA and 4xAF (quality) and i dont go below 60 with smoke, many people on screen, on aztec with cl_weather 1 and recording a demo.

But if I go up to 6xAA, and 16xAF quality i get aroud 40-50fps and 20-25 in smoke.

Usualy im 85-99 tho.

lol i prob know whats wrong.... you prob never uninstalled your nvidia drivers and installed the new radeon drivers... so basically it's running with no drivers...

I've heard from various places that you should format if you swith video cards from nvidia to Ati just because the nvidia drivers are hard to completely get rid of.

You can try Detonator R.I.P. and Detonator Destroyer @ guru3d.com

That might help. They do get rid of some stuff that the uninstall program doesnt get rid of, but not completely. Better then reformating.

Yeah look to the new drivers, they do fix some HL related items. Also, have you ever used CPU-Z? Make sure that your CPU is working to specs. I have a weaker set up than you (P3 1000, 384MB Ram, GF$ 4200) and my minimum is usually 28 frames on aztec with a bunch of peeps. I cap my frames at 65 and usually don't move from there unless there is a lot of action on screen or I am looking at wide open areas.

I know CS is more CPU dependent than Vid Card dependent, so look into what might affect your CPU performance. Do the spyware check, check for any process or applications that you can live with out, look at your services and maybe disable some crap you dont use. If you are using XP, search for XP tweaks. I remember one setting (I cant remember the path) that told me to use CPU for applications instead of background services. It was on background services, and I noticed a difference changing it to programs.

I wish I could give you a direct answer, but I would guess that your CPU is not set up right, or too many things are hogging your CPU. I know of people with set ups marginally better than mine (even worse vid cards) having huge improvements over my frames.

Originally posted by Escher
Here's my rig:

AMD AthlonXP 1800+
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9800XT 256 MB RAM
Audigy 1
couple hard drives, cd burner, dvd burner, floppy, etc ...

Replaced my GF3 with this 9800XT and my frames are still dipping to the 25 mark in Counter-Strike. Most times, it's hitting the 99 fps ceiling, but on several maps it's in the 45-55 range consistently, and on most maps there are times when it shoves down to the 25 plateau.

I already disabled the ATI strings found in the config file, per a suggestion in a different post.

Playing the game at 1024x768, 32 bit, 6X AF, 16X AA in OpenGL mode (because DX mode is all corrupted for some weird reason). Now the quality settings may be high, but this is the top of the line card running a 5 year old game! It should be able to handle it, shouldn't it?

sounds about right actually

did you completely remove the nvidia drivers first? i have a 9500 and have never experienced fps that bad unless it's in a group of smoke grenades.

I run it at the same exact settings as you on a Rad9700pro and [email protected] and get 99 constant somtimes dipping to 89. One little problem that HAS been happening lately is lag on Steam. The friends list seems to be taking up more resources and sometimes i will get 40fps unless i close the friends list. I also had to restart Steam once. Are your problems recent or long term?

so what are THE BEST ATI DRIVERS OUT THERE?

i am planing on buying a 9800xt, even tho ive been an nvidia fan for yrs, this will be my first ati card, i jsut want to know what are the best drivers for that card?

i have heard that those drivers have lots of issues with diferent games and if im goin to invest quite a bit on that card i want to know what the best drivers are because i dont want to switch drivers eavery time i play a diff game.

i say its time for a more powerfull processor

i just ditched my 1800+ fpr a P4 2.8 (800 fsb) and i can totally tell the difference... my CPU had been my system's bottleneck for way too long.

false, cs has been able to be at a constant 100fps for a long time considering hardware. i, personally, have been at a constant 100 since athlon 700 and a voodoo 3.

even now with my other previous in bewteen hardware i have been at a constant 100, yes, even with smoke and certain maps. currently i am using a 9700p and no issue at all at, again, 100fps.

where does the problem exist? i think that it is install error of some sort and maybe also a few configurations not set correctly. if a user does install the system in certain order instead of os, service packs, direct x, video drivers, anything else afterwards for intel systems can exhibt this issue. amd with the nforce2 is a different order. look at core logic set installation notes before installing the system. this fixed some i know.

configuration in hl itself could be an issue. make sure the rate is set accordingly to what you and the server play with. also that fps_max is set 100. it defaults at 72. also not having the refresh rate, drivers, certain bios settings can have an impact. this i will not get into cause it can differ system to system and user to user. this is for you to research and handle.

btw - a driver remover is unecessary a normal uninstall of the driver (if going from an nvidia gpu to a ati vpu) will work for i have done it many a times for a many a users with no issues.

note: sometimes slow down of performance when the game is very active has to do with your ethernet, isp and/or as above stated rate, max fps.

To respond to a few of your suggestions:

1. nVidia drivers are completely removed

2. I get no slow down in smoke. The slow downs occur at certain parts of levels. My guess is when the geometry is more complex because it's always at the same locations.

3. Running either 4.1 or 4.2 Catalyst drivers now, can't remember which.

4. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out. Any more?

Does the game run better under DX than OGL? And if yes, any idea why DX mode appears corrupted?

It is just a known issue that ATI, and to a lesser extent, NVidia, have some problems with their drivers and CS. That is what causes these unusual slowdowns that some people experience. I personally never have any slowdowns with the machine in my sig, but I know of others who do.

Nobody is bothering to optimize their new drivers for a game as old as counterstrike, and they never will. The only thing you can do is tough it out and wait for the counterstrike for Half Life 2, which will have the complete attention of every driver team on the planet.

P.S. I use OpenGL when I play CS, with every control panel setting maxxed.

Your CPU is severly limiting the video card. With that processor it will never reach it's full potential.

optimizations happen all the time. if it is a function that is being optimized and that function is called with cs it will gain the optimization.

i am very familiar with rage forums concerning cs. i have found that only a select few have had issues so far. most have not been able to replicate this at all-even me with various installs. one strange observation that has a high commonality is the slow down with aztec. this as i said could be an end user issue i.e. poor installation, improper installation, drivers, bios settings, rafresh rate, in game settings, etc.

the cpu he has should not be the limiting factor with the 9800xt. although it needs a fast processor to keep it fed. the feed should be at the level sufficient for cs at 100fps.

Originally posted by [RIP]Zeus
here a idea
play somthing better than that dead pos

Mind giving me your adress? I'd like to come shit in your house like you shit on this thread.

Or better yet, just overclock that cpu to a decent speed.
If it's a TbredB core you should be good to at least 2200MHz.

This would be one ugly rig to try to OC. I dare not try for fear it'll burn up with a puff of smoke. Besides, I don't have the cash to replace parts right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts, with one exception. If you have nothing to contribute Zeus, just keep your mouth shut and be a good boy and maybe I'll give you a cookie.

Zeus is right, the game is pretty old, newer games would prob run much better and be more fun

Let the kid play cs if he wants to play cs. Damn this cs argument in every fps thread is getting stupid. Just play what you like.

LOL. I'm by no means a "kid". That's just funny. Hell, I wasn't even a kid when the game came out. It's just fun as hell, even now with all the "great" games.

And dammit, I want it to run well on my hardware!

Back