$25 (After Coupon) Lian-Li ripoff

just remembered, my roommate has a lian li. i'll have to do a 1:1 compraro

TeeJayHoward said:
It's been "On the delivery truck for delivery" since Thursday. It's now Sunday.

Got my case in today. Only had about 30 minutes to play with it during my lunch break, but I can say this much

The drive bezels fell into the case during shipping and got a little scratched up.

The interior is full of black scuff marks, also from shipping, where the cardboard box containing misc. parts rattled around. A little water and a washrag should get rid of this. One of the bezels that fell in is also covered in scuffmarks.

The front panel is color-matched to look aluminum, but may not be aluminum (Have to check later). I recall looking at the panel through the 3.5" bays and seeing an off-white color.

The side panels are difficult to remove.

The top of the case is dented along one side of the corner. It's barely noticeable.

The alum front color does not match the brushed metal of my Aerogate I. (Which may be steel, not the fault of the case.)

The removable mobo tray is slightly warped from my attempts to install an 80mm case fan.

The case itself is solid and not flexable, like I expected the thinner aluminum to be. However, it still feels slightly "cheaper" than my $135 Cooler Master ATC-710. (Not an aluminum case, so it may be due to difference in materials.)

The rear of the panel with the holes cut in for 80mm fans is scuffed in the area where the holes are cut.

(More to come when I return to my apartment)

Edit: I don't be to be "bitchy". The case is actually quite nice, I'm just listing every possible negative I can see with it. You'll note that most of it has to do with crappy shipping, and NOT poor quality.

I ordered this case a couple days ago, still in transit. I didnt know about the coupon :rolleyes: Wish I read this thread first :( I will report back with my impression of the case when I receive it.

TeeJayHoward said:
The drive bezels fell into the case during shipping and got a little scratched up.

TeeJayHoward said:
The interior is full of black scuff marks, also from shipping, where the cardboard box containing misc. parts rattled around. A little water and a washrag should get rid of this. One of the bezels that fell in is also covered in scuffmarks.

TeeJayHoward said:
The front panel is color-matched to look aluminum, but may not be aluminum (Have to check later). I recall looking at the panel through the 3.5" bays and seeing an off-white color.

NOTE: The front panel IS aluminum. However, it is screwed to a plastic backboard.

TeeJayHoward said:
The top of the case is dented along one side of the corner. It's barely noticeable.

TeeJayHoward said:
The rear of the panel with the holes cut in for 80mm fans is scuffed in the area where the holes are cut.

All pictures, along with TONS more, availible in SUPER-HI-RES (1600x1200) at http://www.uccs.edu/thoward .

i got mine today. the box it came in was all messed up, but after a quick inspection, there's not a scratch on the thing. I'll be doing the installation tonight after work and softball.
probably 10ish.

title should be changed to Lian-Li "knockoff"

"ripoff" makes it sound like its too expensive / a total piece of junk.... IE: you're getting ripped off.

Too bad I don't need a case, b/c I'd get this if I did.
(have to resist the urge to buy things that I don't need)

I had to go and buy one as I could pass the deal up. I have several of these Skyhwak 4610 cases. I remember spending quite a bit when they first came out.My original 4610 came as brushed aluminum finish. The latest one has a painted aluminum finish. The front panel is AL and has plastic inserts. My early case came with location for 2 -80mm fans with filter. The new case has location for one 80. I replaced the rear 80 with a 92. There is room for it. I think I'm going to put 2-92mm in front there is also room for those also. Mine shipped to CA and came through with no damage. I think the more shipping time gives the FedEx Gorillas more time to bounce it around. The MB tray brace was interfering with my MB installation as the pop rivet tail was facing in and interfering with the MB processor back plate. I drilled the pop rivet out and moved the brace about an 1/8 of an inch redrilled and put the pop rivet in the correct way. All in all for the price you can't beat them. I have 3 Lian Li's also. No matter what you do to a Ford it will never be a Mercedes......

chrisf6969 said:

"ripoff" makes it sound like its too expensive / a total piece of junk.... IE: you're getting ripped off.

Too bad I don't need a case, b/c I'd get this if I did.
(have to resist the urge to buy things that I don't need)
yeah, the only reason i clicked on the link originally was because it was in the hot deals section, so i assumed that they meant knockoff. You are right about the wording. I'm glad i did click it though.

chrisf6969 said:

You're right. How do I change the title? (And while I'm at it, how do I unsubscribe from a thread?

TeeJayHoward said:
You're right. How do I change the title? (And while I'm at it, how do I unsubscribe from a thread?

User CP to unsubscribe

Gotta Private Message a mod to change titles. ( I think )

I ordered one of these cases last week, and it just got here today. Before I start work on it, do you think its safe to remove that support bracket on the motherboard tray completely? I'd like to get rid of it and drill two 80mm blowholes.

HitMan-sC said:
I ordered one of these cases last week, and it just got here today. Before I start work on it, do you think its safe to remove that support bracket on the motherboard tray completely? I'd like to get rid of it and drill two 80mm blowholes.

My early 4611 didn't have that cross brace. I also used to take off the motherboard to backplane too without any problems. I didn't on the last case.

Can someone do some measurements and tell me if the case can support a front 120MM and a rear 120MM fan with minimal cutting?

Looks like an excellent case for a second rig, but I love the airflow dynamics of my SuperLANBoy.

I had a 120mm fan sitting around so I placed it in the case at the front and back.
On the front, you will loose the front USB/audio ports, and you'll have to cut through the front faceplate, and another layer behind the face plate. On the back, you'll have to cut into the "lip" of the case (back left corner, looking from the top) to get a 120mm fan to fit.

It'll be quite a lot of cutting.

I put a 92 in the back where the 80 used to be, cut out the perforated AL. The front fits two 92's very well. I also cut away all the interfering AL. Came out looking great. Maybe tomorrow I will put a picture of it.

It's tomorrow and here are the the pix of the fan replacements 92mm in front and a 92 mm in the back.
site1007.jpg

site1006.jpg

I used this case (or a VERY similar one) to build my mom's office PC, it had a removable mobo tray. Watch out for some sharp edges, but once it is all together it looks great.

so far i've had great luck with this case. it arrived clean and undented.
it does take a lot of effort to take the sides off, but if you only take them off 2 times who cares?

i put 2 80mm thermaltake fans in the front there and i have 2 160 gig maxtors in the bottom. they're both cool to the touch. the only thing that i dont like about the placement of the drives
is that i had to slide the mobo tray out a few inches before i could plug in any cables into the drives.

well worth the money for what I got out of this. I love this thing.

IMGP0528.jpg

I just recieved my case. I'd call this thing a total piece of junk but it is aluminum and it was $25 (+shipping). One of my bay covers was pushed in and there is a nick in the "finish" along one of the front panel edges but overall nothing too drastic. The little pull handles on the back are pathetic but I knew that going in. My major problems with it are:

• In order to cut costs, the front plate's top and bottom are PLASTIC. This saves them a ton of money in the manufacturing process but looks like complete garbage. If there is one edge of the case that need to look the best, I'd think its this one. :mad:
  • The front plate is held on with exposed screws. :confused:
  • The case is definately aluminum but Im pretty sure its not brushed or anodized. I believe its just a faux finish to look like anodized brushed aluminum. Martha Stewart would be proud. :rolleyes:

So if you're looking for an aluminum case because its lightweight or for its thermal conductivity, I'm sure this is a perfectly suitable case as long as you dont care that it looks like a $25 case.

--
Cheese

btw, mine is not here yet

are the 3 opening for 80mm fans..

are they 80 x25mm

or 80x 38mm

??

I am planning to get some fans online today..

umcpgrad said:
btw, mine is not here yet

are the 3 opening for 80mm fans..

are they 80 x25mm

or 80x 38mm

??

I am planning to get some fans online today..

uhhh it shouldnt matter... they should fit either fan.... Unless you are asking whether it comes with 38mm or 25s.. in that case, I honestly doubt this case comes with 38s

macncheese}I just recieved my case. I'd call this thing a total piece of junk but it is aluminum and it was $25 (+shipping). One of my bay covers was pushed in and there is a nick in the "finish" along one of the front panel edges but overall nothing too drastic. The little pull handles on the back are pathetic but I knew that going in. My major problems with it are: [list said:
[*]In order to cut costs, the front plate's top and bottom are PLASTIC. This saves them a ton of money in the manufacturing process but looks like complete garbage. If there is one edge of the case that need to look the best, I'd think its this one. :mad:
[*]The front plate is held on with exposed screws. :confused:
[*]The case is definately aluminum but Im pretty sure its not brushed or anodized. I believe its just a faux finish to look like anodized brushed aluminum. Martha Stewart would be proud. :rolleyes:
[/list]
So if you're looking for an aluminum case because its lightweight or for its thermal conductivity, I'm sure this is a perfectly suitable case as long as you dont care that it looks like a $25 case.

--
Cheese
My PC 75 had exposed screws, and the top and bottom were carbon fiber, much like the plastic of yours. I'm suprised you expected anodized aluminum for 25$. That looks a lot like a real Lian-Li. You get what you pay for. If you don't like it, go buy a real one for 125$.

Some people are never satisfied.

I think that mine has 2 locations on the side panel for fans and 1 spot in front of the HD mount for fans. The rear fan is occupied by a seamingly junky (but free) fan. All locations are 80mm x whatever you'd like. You'd need 3 fans for a full house or 4 if you're going to replace the included one.

--
Cheese

First off, the obvious thanks to the original poster and the rest. Great thread!!!

Have had a G5 case for about 3 months. It's nearly completely bare (to the point I was amazed the power button was still there), but it's in GREAT shape. However, the motherboard standoffs were in the wrong spot, and even after removing them I couldn't find a SINGLE screw that fits to use them with a ATX motherboard. So the case has sit and sit.

In my thread on this found HERE, Defyant showed how he took the case apart, used a different backplate, etc... and made a VERY nice looking unit that was unique, and still had the apple style.

I think you see where I'm going with this. The removeable motherboard tray, aluminum parts, etc... they should all lend itself to my project, and at a very inexpensive price! :D

My order is in. Look forward to seeing how this all turns out. ;)

TheLonelySwedish said:
You get what you pay for. If you don't like it, go buy a real one for 125$.

Some people are never satisfied.

Whoa Nellie! My review was indeed that its worth $25 (and not a penny more). There seems to be the misconception that this case is the equivalent or near equivalent of the brand name case and it simply isnt even close.

I got it today! I love it! :)

for what we paid for.. it is not bad! thinking about getting another one.... :eek:

got mine (an MSR4620 from Newegg/ChiefValue) last week. This case is basically the same as the 4610 this thread is about, but with a different bezel style, and only has front audio instead of all the front ports. 4620 specific comments are in red. everything else holds true for the 4610.

It's junk.

for the $43 I paid for it off CV. it's not terrible, but I wouldn't want this for anything more than a junk system.

the bezels are too easily pushed in. They cannot be secured. This is not acceptable for a system that'll move around a lot (LAN gaming computer).

the aluminum is way too thin. Everything bends very easily. If it weren't screwed into the holes, it wouldn't fit well at all.

I had a problem with my PSU, a pulled 160W from a Gateway that used an external bottom-mounted 92mm. Luckily, I was able to undo the brace for the mobo tray and it now fits. I don't fault Skyhawk on this though.

the LEDs are 3mm, which are harder to replace than 5mm.

there isn't enough slack in the front audio cables. It barely reaches the front audio on my mATX mobo.

As it is, i'm looking into getting an Inwin V523T case instead. It's better suited to my needs than this case.

I'll likely just hold onto it for the next system I build.

NecessaryEvil said:
got mine (an MSR4620 from Newegg/ChiefValue) last week.
Different case, dude... :)

NecessaryEvil said:
the bezels are too easily pushed in. They cannot be secured. This is not acceptable for a system that'll move around a lot (LAN gaming computer).
...although my case has the same problem.

NecessaryEvil said:
there isn't enough slack in the front audio cables. It barely reaches the front audio on my mATX mobo.
Not a problem with this case. This case comes with a long printer-cable-like cord that runs through the computer into the back, where it connects to the connectors on the BACK of the mobo, not on the INTERIOR.

Just thought I should mention it to all those people who might be scared off by this. Yes, the aluminum is a bit thin, and yes, the bezels like to fall. But for $25, this case is stellar.

true. the 4620 is slightly different.

But it's the same chassis.

I'm going back and highlighting the 4620-specific gripes. the rest hold true. It's still a piece of shit, regardless of the bezel.

TeeJayHoward said:
Not a problem with this case. This case comes with a long printer-cable-like cord that runs through the computer into the back, where it connects to the connectors on the BACK of the mobo, not on the INTERIOR.

IMGP0532.jpg

Hmmm. Mine are plenty long and are internal connections only.... I ordered it from the link in the first post. The link shows the individual cables as well. It also shows a speaker, which was not included in my case...
--
Cheese

macncheese said:
IMGP0532.jpg

Hmmm. Mine are plenty long and are internal connections only.... I ordered it from the link in the first post. The link shows the individual cables as well. It also shows a speaker, which was not included in my case...
--
Cheese

I got the same front panel wires, but they also included the speaker!!! :eek:

I also got (1) 80mm fan with mine.

Overall, I like this case. Im not going to be showing it off or anything like that, but its nice and light and was easy to setup. Everything fit perfectly. As soon as my RAM comes in, Ill fire everything up and check out the noise level.

-JRW

macncheese said:
h77p://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/cheeseroc/ALUMINUM%20CASE/IMGP0532.jpg​

--
Cheese

The case listed in the first post is no longer the same case I ordered. It seems to be quite simular, but does not include all the front panel ports, or the single printer-cable style cable. How many holes were in your side panel? Mine included space for 3 80mm fans.

Back