$25 (After Coupon) Lian-Li ripoff

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
SkyHawk MSR-4610 Silver 1.2mm All Aluminum ATX Mini Server Case - $27.99
$3 off Coupon Code - sc3off4610

Before shipping - $24.99

Looks like a nice case. Removable motherboard, all aluminum, and the lian-li look... If not the reputation.

http://www.dealsonic.com/skmssialatxm.html

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-123-1.htm <- Review
http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/skyhawk4610/ <- Review
http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/Li610_Sky4610shootout/ <- Comparison to Lian-Li PC-601

I bit. I'll post some pics when it comes in. I think it was about $40 after shipping (But I upgraded to next-day-shipping)

Edit: This was taken from a post in the "Case Modding" section originally made by revenant. Just thought I should mention that.

Edit2: Everyone should note that the case has CHANGED since I first posted this. See page 4 for more information.

Here's a $5 off Coupon Code. Man and I just finished ordering this thing without the code. :(

sc5off4610

I have two of these and am very happy. Nice on the insides and I like the place down on the bottom for putting my harddrives right in front of the intake fan. ;)

Curious, any idea if any of the Lian Li acessories work with this case?

Well, I bit. I've had one of those bargain Enermax cases with the color changing lights and included neon forever, hahah. Time to go aluminum... and at what a price!

The front USB ports don't support USB 2.0, bummer, otherwise I think I would have picked this up.

Ampsonic said:
The front USB ports don't support USB 2.0, bummer, otherwise I think I would have picked this up.

Front Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x Mic., 1 x Audio

well thats what it says in the product description at least... I see on the comparison page that it says 1.1.

Hmm.. I just read this in the last review posted.
The other big difference is the USB support. The PC-601 comes with 4 built-in USB 2.0 ports; the MSR-4610 only comes with 2 USB 1.1, on the flip side. The fact that Lian Li chose a the nine pin installation for 2 of the USB 2.0 ports on the PC-601 is a wise choice. This is since most motherboards only come with 2 USB 2.0 built in now.

Damn, that is a HOT price...
I really want to bite this one but between no money and fiance killage it would be the end of me

As for USB 1.1 vs USB 2.0 - It is just a cable that runs through the computer to the back of your motherboard. Nothing more than an extension cable. I'm sure it would be 100% easyness to replace it.

Picture%20002.jpg

Picture%20003.jpg

It's a GREAT case for the money. Materials aren't "Lian-Li"isk but, are pretty close.

if i were u id remove the pc speaker...nothing like magnets with hard drives.. :D

great deal.

SRT-4 said:
Picture%20002.jpg

Picture%20003.jpg

It's a GREAT case for the money. Materials aren't "Lian-Li"isk but, are pretty close.

I bit. I had to. You guys are giving this case pretty good reviews for as cheap as it is and I need to build a new system for my sister. This will be perfect. :)

Their ResellerRatings isn't that great tho.

My GF made me that blanket, otherwise it would be in the garbage.

I just put my new system in this case, thanks for the link. I have a Chieftec Dragon (another Hot Deals link) I was going to use but it's so effing tall. Someday I'll replace it.

What I like about this ripoff:

* Good mounting points for 80mm fans. 3 on the side door (just about perfect for dual GPU cooling), one in front (right in front of the HDD mounts) and one in back in a good spot to push air into or pull air away from the CPU.

* Removable mobo tray - a must for clearing CMOS (with my wiring job), installing HDDs and such.

* Thumbscrews for side panels & mobo tray. Not optimal but good enough; easy to get to the back side drive screws.

* Included thingies for vibration reduction. Screw gaskets or whatever. :D The case runs pretty quiet.

* Airflow in general seems decent, high 20s to low 30s on the CPU, albeit with an XP90 and a 3700 SD. CPU fan is in the high 3k RPM range. I can probably drop those temps to the low 20s if I really wanted to. No OC.

* No cover panel on the front. Compared to the Chieftec I like it; I always hated opening the door to get to the optical drives & power switch. But I never wanted to remove the door either because it looks bad.

* It's LIGHT. That's what you get with aluminum. I should put this and the Chieftec on the scale to see what the difference is. The Chieftec feels like it's thirty-ish pounds empty; this knockoff feels like maybe ten pounds.

* Accessories - Plenty of extra screws. The mobo standoffs were installed.

What I don't like about it:

* Not a full tower. I like the room (I just hate the size.)

* Somewhat flimsy (but not too bad). If you pull on the wrong spot on the removable tray you'll yank your GPU(s) right out of their sockets. You can tell it's a cheap knockoff when you're inside it. The optical/floppy drive cover panels are a bitch to remove and put back in, but the least pressure on them will knock them askew. Then you either need to punch them out completely or remove the mobo to push them back into place.

* Big reinforcing bar right behind the PSU. You have to remove it to get the PSU in (I couldn't get the top panel off the case.) I guess that's what it's for; PITA to get the cables from the PSU over it because it's under an inch from the back of the PSU and tall enough to interfere with the wires a little bit. This is also a good thing to a point because it helps with clutter.

* HDD room/location. I suppose I could cram in 3 HDDs but the airflow would suck. For now it's two. Oh well, it's a mid-tower so that's what you get. This is where airflow gets a little wierd. HDDs get hot enough that you'd probably want the front fan blowing out and suck air in from the back (and sides), but the rear case fan is close enough to the PSU exhaust fan that it would suck a little of the cool air away from the CPU and right back outside. In fact the case has enough vents that your front fan probably wouldn't do a whole lot. I should experiment with it but it's more important to me to game. :D

* Thin aluminum. I've been very careful to try and prevent stripping anything, especially with the thumbscrews. I haven't stripped anything out yet but I can feel it's ready to go if I forget myself (yes, even with thumbscrews.)

* Odd wiring in the front. The USB ports have two grounds for some reason. Not sure if that's intentional or not (and I've no idea if I wired them correctly). Probably not a huge deal since I have six USB ports in the back--plenty for me. The power/reset/HDD activity lights are labelled but might not be wired correctly. Plus the DFI manual is wrong with its pinouts--I still don't have the HDD activity light working.

And another n00b story. The cover for the PSU on the back of the case was reversed. I noticed it and thought it was wierd, but maybe there's room for the 2nd PSU fan to suck air from the very top of the case (since it would be facing up). There wasn't--well, there was a good 1/4". Meaning I had to remove and reinstall that effing reinforcing bar twice.

Overall it's a nice looking case when it's all together. Worth the cheap price. Not as good as the Chieftec (and definitely not a Lian-Li). Decent case.

[edit] PS to SRT4 - I used the DFI sleeved IDE cables but I hate them. This case coupled with a DFI board is tailor made to tuck the unsleeved ribbon out of sight. Something I'll get to when I'm tired of gaming (read: possibly never.)

Double post. The only pic I took, shows the miserable wiring job I did. :eek: I had to get gaming!

new01.jpg

There's no such thing as "USB 2.0 compatible" front USB ports. It's marketing fluff.
Same connectors. Same pinouts. Same everything.

Thanks for the laugh. :D

EvilNotion said:
I bit. I had to. You guys are giving this case pretty good reviews for as cheap as it is and I need to build a new system for my sister. This will be perfect. :)

Their ResellerRatings isn't that great tho.

I read most of the dissatisfied, and most of them are morons. :eek:

v3rt1g0 said:
There's no such thing as "USB 2.0 compatible" front USB ports. It's marketing fluff.

I figured it had something to do with the cable being made of higher-quality materials, similar to CAT6 vs. CAT5e.

v3rt1g0 said:

consumers
nonono.gif

I was shocked what the .2mm makes. I purchased a similar case from newegg for 15.00 and the quality was terrible. It was literally the thickness of a couple of coke cans. The back panel was the worst. It did take a 120mm fan but way too flimsy. This one is solid.

Case is now $26.99.
Plus the $5 off coupon...

Hmm.. tempting.

They are in California. FedEx ground shipping to Washington comes to $12.39.
$34.38 shipped after the -$5 off coupon.

FYI for anyone interested.

Just put in an order, the case, and two 80mm thermaltake fans shipped to syracuse minus the $5 comes in a shade under $50.

Purchased case on the 22nd... It's now the 29th, and the case isn't here yet. Not Dealsonic's fault, though. They shipped it when they said they would. FedEx, on the other hand... It's been "On the delivery truck for delivery" since Thursday. It's now Sunday.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

v3rt1g0 said:

heh. nice.

sabrewolf732 said:
I read most of the dissatisfied, and most of them are morons. :eek:
you're not kidding, lifetime rating of 9.54 with 287 people rating them.

Kinda got a pet-peeve with people and their misplaced anger. How bout that one guy who expected his rma to arrive at his new adress when he never bothered updating his account information. How the heck is a company supposed to know where to ship it? ESP? I'll bet 3/4 of the negative ratings @ RR are just a bunch of immature kids. Or all the idiots who leave negative ratings for obvious price mistakes ;).

/end rant

:p

Believe it or not, two or three years ago this case was around $150, and a competitor to a similar LianLi model at the time. I ordered one, and plan to begin working on it next week. The reviews seem to be very positive. I guess I'll find out next week.

bump because Fedex is stupid and didn't deliver because they "couldn't get up my driveway" Friday (Bull sh**). So I gave them my business address and they said they would deliver it Tuesday. Well, today is Tuesday, and the tracking number says that they couldn't find my business.

WTF, my "driveway" now my business? Both places I get Fedex expresses and UPS's every single day of the week. Blast that FedEx "ground" department.

Damn it, I ordered one for $35......And I just bought another case this last past weekend....Man I will never be able to save up for my Canon EOS 20D....

KuJaX said:
bump because Fedex is stupid and didn't deliver because they "couldn't get up my driveway" Friday (Bull sh**). So I gave them my business address and they said they would deliver it Tuesday. Well, today is Tuesday, and the tracking number says that they couldn't find my business.

WTF, my "driveway" now my business? Both places I get Fedex expresses and UPS's every single day of the week. Blast that FedEx "ground" department.
That's kinda funny. actually my case should be here thursday according to tracking.
long drive here to NY from Cali.

I just bought the MSR4620 off Chief Value not an hour before I read this. Let me know how you guys like this case...as mine just has a different bezel.

Back