24pin PSU with 20pin mobo?

M0rph3us

2[H]4U
Can I use a 24pin adapter with a 20pin motherboard header? Will it just fit or do they make adapters? I've heard of adapters for 20pin PSUs in a 24pin mobo, but I've also heard of people putting too mush power down a single line and frying their ATX connector. (Tyan S2460 mainly) Anyway, I'm going to buy a PCP&C 510 for our server that currently has a single AXP with a 20pin header, and we might get a dually Opteron in the future. That's a maybe, but I'd still like to be ready.

When you order the PC P&C tell them what it is to be used for and they will put the correct connector on for you, then you'll have nothing to worry about and no adaptor !
twajetmech

I'm not sure if they can do that, call them up and ask, they are very good about these things. If they can the rep will most certainly know and you may be able to get the flexability you are looking for for a few bucks more. :)
they do make custom P/S's if need be, and FWIW the 510 deluxe I have is simply awesome !

sweet. Thanks. I'm gonna need it. Our server may appear wimpy with its AXP and 512MB of RAM, but it has 4 hdd's (2 SCSI 15K, 2 7200 IDE) at current, and will be getting another 4 (2 more 15K and 2 more 7200 IDEs) real soon and a 2nd RAID card and 64MB RAM for each. It was just too much for that poor Raidmax 500 I had in there. Right now it's hobbling along on a True430, but that won't last long. The Enermax 550 (stealth 651 model) I bought for $170 didn't fare well either, I'm going to take it back to Fry's. (I love that store) Anyway, I was just thinking of all the rave reviews I've heard of the Turbo510, and after reading some posts, I decided on it for another $30-40 over the Enermax. The hard drives powering on just kill the PSUs. They never detect in the SCSI BIOS properly.

after reading on the PCP&C website, "...guaranteed for up to twelve drives..." I was sold. :D

Don't forget to tell them how many drives you are going to have and what type....that is an aweful lot to power on startup Let them make some recommendations if need be, they won't steer you wrong. It is an awesome P/S ! wow my system seems wimpy next to all that H/D's :)

The S2460 required a different format PSU that you can mistakenly plug ATX-24 into... this causes the POST Toasties.

ATX-20 and 24 are the same, with the exception of 4 extra wires (2x 12v, 2x ground) at the end of the connector. When pluggered into a 20 pin board, it will fit, with the 4 extra lines hanging over the power plug- as long as there are no obstructions, it will work fine.

I'd go ahead and do the 24 pin for future compatability, the Vantec in my sig is 24, and includes the 24-20 wire. (although not needed).

Yeah, if you see the FAQ, it talks about ATX-GES, which is what the TyanMP boards use

Back