24bit Crystalizer makes music sound kinda...

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
wierd with my Senn HD-595. I noticed music w/ a lot of bass really sounds like crap w/ the 24bit crystalizer enabled on my X-Fi....anyone else have this problem? I thought it was supposed to make music sound better lol...

It probably only makes it sound better on really crappy speakers. I'd leave that crap off with any decent set of speakers or headphones.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
wierd with my Senn HD-595. I noticed music w/ a lot of bass really sounds like crap w/ the 24bit crystalizer enabled on my X-Fi....anyone else have this problem? I thought it was supposed to make music sound better lol...

I have the same setup...

I turned the crystallizer to 40% and set the eq to rock. Then up the lows on the eq to get more bass.

IF your senns are new give them 40 hours or so to break in. I noticed a jump in bass after break in.

no, crystalizer just sucks with good quality speakers and phones. It's perfectly normal.

silasbear said:
I turned the crystallizer to 40% and set the eq to rock. Then up the lows on the eq to get more bass.

I really, really wouldn't do that. The crystallizer already gives you more bass and treble - it's like pushing a "loudness" button on an old amplifier. Then you're using the rock EQ preset, most of which that I've seen add more bass & treble, and then you suggest adding MORE bass with the equalizer?

I think the crystallizer is mainly only good for really poorly encoded mp3's. It distorts recordings I have made from my turntable.

meatfestival said:
I really, really wouldn't do that. The crystallizer already gives you more bass and treble - it's like pushing a "loudness" button on an old amplifier. Then you're using the rock EQ preset, most of which that I've seen add more bass & treble, and then you suggest adding MORE bass with the equalizer?

I do recommend this. The 595s lack a civilized bass with a flat eq. You turn down the crystallizer because the 595s have very good mids and highs and the sound will be too tinny with the crystallizer above 50%

Make sure to burn in too... at least 40 hours. Bass is much smoother after that.

I used to use the crystallizer, but Ive turned it off now. When I got better headphones the music sound distorted.

The Crystallizer is a happy-filter-for-idiots: it basically raises the bass and treble. All sorts of cheap consumer audio gear has an equaliser like this under some kind of suitably spiffy name. On bad gear with typical uncritical listening, it sounds more exciting. I agree with everyone else - for decent equipment, ditch it.

I only use the crystalizer for games. There it works very well, making things sound more "punchy".

For music however, i listen to drumnbass and alot of other music with fast changing rythms and changes in music speed. There the crystalizer just screws it up, making a mess of it all. You can even hear it has problems leveling the different sounds in the tracks.

So yes, with crappy speakers or you listen to some really strange music maybe use it, otherwise i wouldnt.

magnetik said:
I think the crystallizer is mainly only good for really poorly encoded mp3's. It distorts recordings I have made from my turntable.

I agree, I think record players have a better sound than most any other medium sans SACD and DVD-Audio. That being said, the crystallizer will make them sound worse.

I wish instead CL would have included something more equivalent to the via vinyl codec. They still could if we all asked them together...

But, I have found on MP3's the crystallizer at about 20% along with the SVM (ironic right?) seems to give a more pleasing sound. I wouldn't try it with a vinyl record source.

Wow...never used SVM...sounds better w/ it on.

edit...no it doesnt lol...it just makes it more quiet.

Heres how I have my settings for my Klipsch Ultras.

Main Volume: 79
Bass: 74
Trebble: 90
Speakers: 5.1
EAX effects disabled
CMSS 3D: Stereo Surround ( 50% )
24 Bit Crystalizer: 20%
SVM: Off
EQ: On ( Modified "NEW AGE"...more highs )

What should I change? Sounds good...but you guys know more than me lol

Circuitbreaker8 said:

Heres how I have my settings for my Klipsch Ultras.

Main Volume: 79
Bass: 74
Trebble: 90
EAX effects disabled
CMSS 3D: Stereo Surround ( 50% )
24 Bit Crystalizer: 20%
EQ: On ( Modified "NEW AGE"...more highs )

What should I change? Sounds good...but you guys know more than me lol

Well, when I had Klipsch 5.1s and listened to FLACs in Foobar:
Main Volume: (whatever, depending on circumstances)
Bass: 50
Treble: 50
EAX: Disabled
CMSS: Disabled
24 bit Crystalizer: Disabled
EQ: Disabled

At least with the environment I'm in, that really provided the clearest reproduction of the source...which is really what I prefer the sound of.

Circuitbreaker8 said:

Those are excellent headphones man, unlike people using $14.99 CompUSA speakers with the 595s you don't need anything screwing with your audio.

dderidex said:
Well, when I had Klipsch 5.1s and listened to FLACs in Foobar:
Main Volume: (whatever, depending on circumstances)
Bass: 50
Treble: 50
EAX: Disabled
CMSS: Disabled
24 bit Crystalizer: Disabled
EQ: Disabled

At least with the environment I'm in, that really provided the clearest reproduction of the source...which is really what I prefer the sound of.
Heh. You beat me to it. Was about to post the same thing :p

Circuitbreaker8 said:

You did notice I said with MP3's? Not for good sources, like vinyl and high def audio such as DVD-Audio or SACD.

Back