2490wuxi refurbs are back for "cheap".

Thanks for the post, I've had my eye on this model for awhile and pulled the trigger on this deal.

I called ahead and asked what their pixel policy/return policy is for refurbs and they said they'd replace it if it didn't satisfy me, and if they didn't have any refurbs to replace it with, they'd refund my money.

Now I just need to find a calibration tool (spectravision 2?) to go along with it, any suggestions where to get one from?

Now I just need to find a calibration tool (spectravision 2?) to go along with it, any suggestions where to get one from?

What do you intend to use the monitor for?

What do you intend to use the monitor for?

Mostly just to be as [H]ard as possible, so I'd like it calibrated :)

I got a couple of new lenses for my Nikon D5000 and I play around with pictures in photoshop and print/frame them.

If I can figure out how, I'd like a calibrator that I can use on my monitor (and I think with spectravision software, I can change the hardware settings in the monitor, not just the color profile) AND use on my pioneer kuro (non-elite).

Let's be honest here, they'll probably look great without calibration. It will probably only be marginal improvement... but it's fun, and I'd like to try my hand at learning something fun like calibration.

But I'm just getting started down this path, if you have any suggestions, please point me in the right direction! Thanks.

OK, then you want one of the meters that is compatable with SV2, from the NEC site...

•GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display V1
•X-Rite/GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display V2
•X-Rite/GretagMacbeth Eye-One Monitor, Eye-One Pro.
•X-Rite ColorMunki.
•Monaco OptixXR (X-Rite DTP 94).
•ColorVision/Datacolor Spyder 2.
•Datacolor Spyder 3.

http://www.necdisplay.com/supportcenter/monitors/spectraview2/compatibility/

Probably the best deal is the Eye-One Display V2, the Spyders suck so avoid them...

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS2..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1251482324&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hmm

I wonder if this is a better buy than holding out for a new U2410 (guessing similar pricing?) or getting a 2209wa for about $200+tax

hmm

I wonder if this is a better buy than holding out for a new U2410 (guessing similar pricing?) or getting a 2209wa for about $200+tax

It's probably our only shot at getting an AT-W polarizer on a quality unit for this price. I'm happy with my LP2475w, but I am so tempted just for this reason.

It's probably our only shot at getting an AT-W polarizer on a quality unit for this price. I'm happy with my LP2475w, but I am so tempted just for this reason.

Yeah, I wanted it for the AT-W polarizer too (which I've been spelling incorrectly for a long time now.

Thanks for your recommendations, I think I'll snag the calibrator you suggested after I read a few more reviews!

Yeah, I wanted it for the AT-W polarizer too (which I've been spelling incorrectly for a long time now.

Thanks for your recommendations, I think I'll snag the calibrator you suggested after I read a few more reviews!

Well, I put the hyphen is in the wrong place. It's A-TW I think, Advanced True White.

Updating this post for the record. I find my 2490 to be phenomenal. I feel like I lucked out on this deal. It came in great shape, no blemishes on the bezel, no dead pixels, good price, good return policy from tech4less. I'd buy from them again.

Colors look good, and I'll try to take some before/after pics after it's calibrated.

Gaming isn't bad either, I couldn't really tell there was input lag (but I didn't exactly do a double blind test against my CRT either). Far Cry 2 looks good and seems to handle just fine. Left 4 Dead multiplayer seemed good. I'll have to try some TF2 to see if I can detect more display lag. But so far I can't really notice anything 'wrong' or feeling sluggish. Gaming was the part I was most worried about. All of my fears have been washed away.

The screen looks really good in the dark, I'm a big fan of the polarizer.

I like this display. A lot.

Now they have 1 non-functional unit left in stock for $50. Who's going to risk it?

Somebody did, I can't find it now. What was wrong with it, if it was a power issue I probably could have fixed it.

Updating this post for the record. I find my 2490 to be phenomenal. I feel like I lucked out on this deal. It came in great shape, no blemishes on the bezel, no dead pixels, good price, good return policy from tech4less. I'd buy from them again.

Colors look good, and I'll try to take some before/after pics after it's calibrated.

Gaming isn't bad either, I couldn't really tell there was input lag (but I didn't exactly do a double blind test against my CRT either). Far Cry 2 looks good and seems to handle just fine. Left 4 Dead multiplayer seemed good. I'll have to try some TF2 to see if I can detect more display lag. But so far I can't really notice anything 'wrong' or feeling sluggish. Gaming was the part I was most worried about. All of my fears have been washed away.

The screen looks really good in the dark, I'm a big fan of the polarizer.

I like this display. A lot.

You know input lag is something you feel, right? I find it very strange that you can't feel the mouse lag with the 2490wuxi.

You know input lag is something you feel, right? I find it very strange that you can't feel the mouse lag with the 2490wuxi.

Lag is not just a product of your monitor, there are other factors that can contribute. Wireless mice and keyboards, display drivers and features, also contribute.

There's people on here all the time saying they can't feel the lag on their 3008WFP or what have you, it's really not uncommon. I'm not a good example since I don't play shooters or any twitch games, but the only way I consciously notice the lag on my 2490 is by putting a window between it and my lagless display and dragging it up and down. If I didn't have a faster monitor right next to it I would have no way of identifying any lag.

I had a Dell 2405 for about a week. It had pretty bad lag, I could feel it right away, just moving my mouse around the screen.

But my 2490 has about 2 frames of lag (~33ms), and I don't feel this at all and I would bet most people won't.

Naturally if you are into competitive FPS gaming and every tiny edge count you will want to stick to zero lag screens.

For most people, medium lag like this is won't even be noticed.

I had a Dell 2405 for about a week. It had pretty bad lag, I could feel it right away, just moving my mouse around the screen.

But my 2490 has about 2 frames of lag (~33ms), and I don't feel this at all and I would bet most people won't.

Naturally if you are into competitive FPS gaming and every tiny edge count you will want to stick to zero lag screens.

For most people, medium lag like this is won't even be noticed.

Frameless: Yes, I know it's something you 'feel', and I was surprised that I don't feel it. I was very worried that I would. I'm not saying OMG NO LAG, PERFECT MONITOR!!! I have no doubt that other lcd's have less delay.

I'm just saying I went from a CRT, to this display, and input lag on games is not an issue that I can even perceive.

I've been playing computer games since 94, online FPSes since the original Quake World team fortress (go digitaljedi!, we still play in alot of TF2 leages), and have been always aspiring to acquire the latest and greatest video cards to play new games. I really thought that since I've been so into games, and been using a CRT this whole time, that this would be an issue for me. It's not.

I agree this is a subjective issue, and I think Snowdog summed it up nicely.

I recently upgraded to the 2490 myself.

I was worried about the input lag, since I did play quite a bit of competitive TF2 and other games. However, I'm by no means a "hardcore" player squeezing every frame out of a CRT running 640x480 at dx8 with every graphic option disabled, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad. I had ditched my CRT a few years ago and have gamed extensively on my aging Samsung 172X TN panel for the last 5-6 years.

I have to say the 2490 outclasses the Samsung in every way, it just looks incredible. However, I did notice the input lag when I fired up TF2, which kind of sucked. I'm not going to return it, but I will have to get used to it; It's not horribly laggy, but I can feel it and it did throw off my aim for quite a while. Outside of gaming, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Back