2405FPW vs. 2005FPW, side by side pics to compare

fallguy

2[H]4U
I did a compare of a 2001FP vs. 2005FPW several months back. It helped some people make a decision, hopefully this will as well. Sdly, my photography hasnt gotten any better. :( Please bear with me..

24-3.JPG

24-4.JPG

The 2405FPW is just a little lower than the 2005FPW when both are all the way down.

24-17.JPG

24-5.JPG

The 2005FPW tilts back just a hair more than the 2405FPW.

24-7.JPG

Still a little lower, even more so now.

24-6.JPG

24-8.JPG

24-9.JPG

24-10.JPG

The entite 2005FPW fits inside the 2405FPWs viewing area.

24-11.JPG

24-12.JPG

From the desk, to the top, both fully extended.

24-18.JPG

Both lowered all the way down, taken from the desk.

24-13.JPG

2405FPW connections. Note the component.

24-14.JPG

2005FPW connections.

24-15.JPG

USB and card reader back to the left side, as the 2001FP had them (USB).

24-16.JPG

2005FPW connections on the right side.

Which do I like better? I think the obvious choice is the 2405FPW. Both a great LCD's to me. There are some subtle differences in them, I prefer the 2405FPW however. I like the USB on the right side. Its where my USB printer is, and Ive gotten used to it over there. Now when I want to print something, I have to take the cable across the desk, to the right side. Or better yet, just buy a longer cable and connect it to my PC.

I also like how the 2005FPWs power plug was more in the middle of the LCD. If you look at the connections pics, you can see this. It makes it much easier to hide the cable, as the power cable is pretty large. When its in the middle, it goes right down the back of the stand, and in the cable holder. The 2045FPWs plug is on the end, which makes it harder.

The 2405FPW also takes longer to come out of sleep mode. When both monitors are off after not being used, the 2005FPW comes on faster, by about 2 seconds. I doubt I would have noticed if they were not side by side.

Are any of these deal breakers? Not even close to me, just some small things I have noticed. I would like the USB on the right.. and the plug in the middle, but at the end of the day, its not a big deal. Neither is two more seconds to turn on after being asleep.

I also ran some HL2 benches to compare the res'. I dont claim to be an expert on benchmarking, just sharing some results. I ran HL2 in 1680x1050 for the 2005FPW, and 1920x1200 for the 2405FPW. AA and AF were chosen within the game, here is a pic of the settings. The same settings were used for both LCDs, all I did was exit the game, reboot, and change with LCD was primary, and then change the res. Drivers were set for A.I. to be off, quality up on the highest, and AA/AF set to app preference. Overdrive was off. I created a small (3min) demo in Canals. The level had lots of water, lots of explosions, and a chopper thing chasing me. My specs that matter are, 3500+ [email protected], 2x512 Mushkin LvL2 PC3500 2-2-10-2T@1:1, Raptor 74gig, X850XT/PE running at stock, and Asus A8N SLI nForce4 mobo.

1920x1200;
0xAA/0xAF: 114.67
2xAA/8xAF: 67.05
4xAA/16xAF: 52.11

1680x1050;
0xAA/0xAF: 119.98
2xAA/8xAF: 77.06
4xAA/16xAF: 59.26

To be honest, I expected more of a difference. But as they Berman says... "That's why they play the game."

I tried Doom3, but the results were almost exactly the same. It does not support WS out of the box, but with a simple config file edit, it works. I dont know if the edit didnt work for some reason, or of the FPS cap hurt me. I havent played it sine about a month after it came out, but installed it to test for people.

I would also like to try Farcry.. but I havent found any benchmarking utility that goes over 1600x1200. And there is no built in timedemo that I am aware of. I dont want to run thru with fraps, not that I dont trust it, more like lazinessto try and do the exact same scenario twice.

Once again, not claiming to be a benchmarking expert, just trying to help people making a decision on upgrading monitors, or just buying a new one. If someone wants any additional tests done, I can probably do them. However, I am going out of town again for two weeks (just got back from being out for two weeks :( ) and am leaving tomorrow at Midnight. So I may not be able to do much.

does this have those awful backlight issues?.. i currently have 4 of the 2005s and all 4 have some slight issues.. im considering buying 2 of the 2405s but backlight could be a problem :eek:

No, none.

Backlight2.JPG

As you can see, my 2005FPW does, but the 2405FPW doesnt. You cant see it all, but I assure you it doesnt.

Well there is definitely a size difference between the two although i'm not sure its enough to warrant the extra cost at the moment for me. I snagged the 2005FPW for $486 last week. Thats almost $400 cheaper then the 2405FPW. I'm hopeing i wont get one with stuck pixels or a backlighting problem.

Great comparison, thank you. Now I want to replace my 2005 with 2405 even more, just need to find the way to do it. Don't really want to spend more than $300 for the upgrade but this is probably impossible at the moment :(

fallguy said:
I did a compare of a 2001FP vs. 2005FPW several months back. It helped some people make a decision, hopefully this will as well. Sdly, my photography hasnt gotten any better. :( Please bear with me..
Shame on you for torturing these people who have recently bought the 2005FPW. :eek: :D

In that first pic it looks like the 2405 has better color then the 2001. Are both lcds hooked up through dvi?

fallguy said:
From the desk, to the top, both fully extended.

Question for you, how tall are each of them when their both lowered as much as possible, not fully extended?

My desk here at school has a bookshelf on it that limits the vertical height, I could remove it, however I'm curious if either of the monitors would fit.

Thanks.

Clear said:
Question for you, how tall are each of them when their both lowered as much as possible, not fully extended?

My desk here at school has a bookshelf on it that limits the vertical height, I could remove it, however I'm curious if either of the monitors would fit.

Thanks.

In the first picture I think it seems like both are lowered all the way. With my 2005fpw it is 16" from the table to the top of the lcd bezel at the lowest position. Seems like the 2405" is a bit higher but not by much.

Great post! So fallguy, do you how many dell lcds do you have? Also where did you find those pretty widescreen wallpapers? Thanks

I just got my 2005FP, and I absolutely love it. I would've jumped on the 2405 but I figured I could get two 2005FP's for the same price...so erm. Either way I love the panel. I'll pick up the 24" sometime in the future I'm sure. I have penis envy and fallguy is winning :(

:p

I get my 2005 tomorrow, I would have liked the 2405 but couldn't come up with the extra cash at this time. Nice post, great pics, thanks!

Equalizer said:
In that first pic it looks like the 2405 has better color then the 2001. Are both lcds hooked up through dvi?

Sorry, yes they are. With a X850XT/PE PCI-E, which has dual DVI.

Clear said:

Thanks.

Pic added to show this.

intelbrain said:
Great post! So fallguy, do you how many dell lcds do you have? Also where did you find those pretty widescreen wallpapers? Thanks

Just three right now. 2405FPW, 2005FPW, and my old trusty 1800FP which is on my daughters LCD. Used to have a 2001FP, which I sold when I got my 2005FPW.

Here is where I got mine; http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/resolutions.php?w=1920

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Post your setup , it would help the benchmarking a lil.

I did, check the end of my last post. But here they are again;
[email protected]
2x512 Mushkin LvL2 PC3500
X850XT/PE PCI-E
Asus A8N-SLI
74gig Raptor

Equalizer said:
Keep in mind you're viewing those images through YOUR display... That isn't even close to a truly accurate representation of what that image looks like in person. Which is why I would never draw to much in the way of conclusions regarding picture quality of any display when that image is taken by a camera, then reproduced on your display. ;)

But you can definitely tell there is some sort of difference there, that much at least is true.

Hey fallguy, can you post a pic of the 24" lcd showing a widescreen dvd via its component input? Thank you

I was watching a DVD on mine last night. It looks good for a LCD. But I then played the same DVD on my 6 year old CRT HDTV. Like night and day. CRT are still so much better for watching movies.

intelbrain said:
Hey fallguy, can you post a pic of the 24" lcd showing a widescreen dvd? Thank you

puppyfriend said:
I was watching a DVD on mine last night. It looks good for a LCD. But I then played the same DVD on my 6 year old CRT HDTV. Like night and day. CRT are still so much better for watching movies.
QFT :) :(

thanks for the pics, glad i went for 24" one, should be here in three days, depending on dell UK -- they'd never heard of this screen when i placed my order !!!

Very thorough comparison! I've been looking for some height info so I can get more of an idea about how how a 2005fpw would look next to my Samsung 710N.

Btw, Nice Lamp!

Is this really the 2405FPW?

I called Dell and they told me, the lowest compressed size is 22 inches, and on the tech specs it shows 22 inches. Your pictures show 17 inches. I really need to know before ordering one because my desk has a hutch with opening of only 20 inches. Only reason I would question the pictures is because one shows 2005 vs 2001. Can anyone verify please.

Add on:

Fallguy, I got your Private message thanks for the info. I will be calling Dell back and asking them to explain themselves. 17 inches is great for me. I will be ordering one.

Thanks again,

Rich

I just got off phone with dell and feel like they blew me off, transfered everywhere. The only help I got was, someone claiming to talk with tech rep who aledgedly measured the compressed size and say it is 22 inches. A picture says a thousand words. Only concern is the newest 2405 might be higher?

Can someone that has purchase one of these recently do a lowest compressed height measuremen, and post it here with date of purchase? Frustrated.

Sorry no offense Fallguy.

I just measured and mine is the same as his, 17 1/4".
I bought mine a little over 2 months ago.

My 2005 is suppose to arrive today, and you just ruined it for me..... bah not really. Just gives me a goal for when I build a new box.

Ducklake said:
I just measured and mine is the same as his, 17 1/4".
I bought mine a little over 2 months ago.

Thanks for taking time to do those measurements. I really am not impressed with Dell support after being on phone for an hour just to get a simple measurement done, and then they lied to me saying, they took the measurement. Obviously the two of you have the 2405 and its the same compressed size on both of your monitors. Dell needs to update the technical specs on website because it says 22 inches compressed. Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, because I actually called back again and got the same run around and the same outright lie. Not im not sure if I will even buy a dell product.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help.

Just remember, if you're ordering, ask for Revision A.01. I have an A.01 Revised model that has 0 dead pixels and I can't even see the backlight "bleed".

RailGunRiz said:
Just remember, if you're ordering, ask for Revision A.01. I have an A.01 Revised model that has 0 dead pixels and I can't even see the backlight "bleed".
Sorry to dig up this thread but the above comment got my attention. I just received a replacement 2405 that is Rev A01 built August 2005. The 2405 I'm returning is a Rev A04 built September 2005. Now, the naming convention would imply that the A04 is a newer revision, but if I'm understanding you correctly, it is actually an older version?

intelbrain said:
Hey fallguy, can you post a pic of the 24" lcd showing a widescreen dvd? Thank you
here's a review with a photo of what you want.

I still don't know which one to buy, the 2405 costs 2x but looks like it's worth, but it's still 2x.......... I really don't know :confused:

I wanted to ask something, I read that the 2005 can only use PIP and PAP (those modes to have two images on the screen) from VGA or DVI with other inputs. It's not possible to mix one image from VGA and the other from DVI. It's 2405 the same?

Back