2405FPW, 1080p, 720p, and 480p

yoshi9784

Limp Gawd
Having attended E3 this year and checked out the jaw-dropping footage of PS3, I am now quite interested in getting a monitor or TV that supports 1080p(as the PS3 can output two 1080p signals). The 2405FPW looks awesome since it has plenty or nice inputs like component for consoles I have now and of course DVI, which is not confirmed for PS3.

I have been reading the forums and noticed that peacetilence reported that the 2405 doesn't resolve or display signals correctly through the component inputs(aspect ratio is screwed up even when choosing 1:1 option).

Has anyone run a 1080p, 720p, 480p signal through component and DVI? I want to hear about the comparison. Also pictures of games playing through Game Cube, X-Box, or PS2(some ps2 games support progressive) would be great. I am especially interested in people running 1080p from a source that's not from your computer, say a DVD player. I don't know if there are any available dvd players that can ouput 1080p either through DVI or component, but this is the best place to ask if anyone has one.

Also, I am also interested in how the 2405fpw handles lower resolutions like 1280x1024 or 1024x768. Do they look as good as the native resolution? If I get this monitor, I would run those games in with the 1:1 option since I do not want any strecthing/compression to affect image quality.

You can't run 1080 through component (not enough bandwidth) and I would put $10 on the signal from the PS3 being HDCP encrypted so I wouldn't buy the monitor on the assumption that it will be able to display the images.

Even if it does display them from games it definately won't display images from its lubberly jubberly BluRay player.

Its hard to test anyway as no dvd player outputs at 1080p native, all source is scaled to that level at the moment and there aren't any reasonably priced 1080p scalers available (one out in July for $3000 will be the first decent one)

The only way you can do it is to output dvi from your PC using the 1080p source material that Microsoft has on its Windows media website but that isn't going to really tell you that much to be honest.

Honest advice would be to wait 6 months and see how the market stands as you should get a fair few hybrid screens that are perfect for 1080p display as well as being HDCP compatible over the DVI cable or even with HDMI leads (Hope not)

Iratus said:
You can't run 1080 through component (not enough bandwidth) and I would put $10 on the signal from the PS3 being HDCP encrypted so I wouldn't buy the monitor on the assumption that it will be able to display the images.

Even if it does display them from games it definately won't display images from its lubberly jubberly BluRay player.

Its hard to test anyway as no dvd player outputs at 1080p native, all source is scaled to that level at the moment and there aren't any reasonably priced 1080p scalers available (one out in July for $3000 will be the first decent one)

The only way you can do it is to output dvi from your PC using the 1080p source material that Microsoft has on its Windows media website but that isn't going to really tell you that much to be honest.

Honest advice would be to wait 6 months and see how the market stands as you should get a fair few hybrid screens that are perfect for 1080p display as well as being HDCP compatible over the DVI cable or even with HDMI leads (Hope not)

ok...so me cutting through all of that and reading 'between the lines'...

you are saying NOT to bite on a 2405fpw now if i'm looking to use it for desktop work and FUTURE PS3 hookup and to wait to see what else comes out a couple months down the road?

I wouldn't discredit the 2405FPW too quickly, that's not to say the prospects so far are looking good but there could be HDMI tuners for pc in the future... 720p will look and work fine over component and I've read on a few posts that people got 1080i to work but I don't know how closely they looked at the aspect ratio and geometry. I bought the monitor first and formost to be a monitor and watch DVD's, so far it works great for both.

ive been reading a lot of good things about HP's 2335 WS monitor.

"...Another unusual feature: You can set the screen image to one-to-one, fill-to-aspect-ratio, or fill-to-screen."

i dunno.. just ANOTHER component to SERIOUSLY debate and make decisions freakin confusing!

thenixhex311 said:
ok...so me cutting through all of that and reading 'between the lines'...

you are saying NOT to bite on a 2405fpw now if i'm looking to use it for desktop work and FUTURE PS3 hookup and to wait to see what else comes out a couple months down the road?

Basically yes, if PS3 playback is a prime motivator then you are probably better off waiting. It is an awesome monitor but practically speaking for Hi Def playback you are better off waiting till a similar monitor with HDCP enabled ports is released to ensure that you can get the playback of both games at 1080 and also (I believe more importantly) be able to use the PS3 for movie watching.

You could just stretch to $6000 and get the 45" 1080p Sharp. :D

Ordered 14/15th and its coming tomorrow (1st June) but it was Bank Holiday Weekend.

I got May 20% Off to make it £648 from £850. And its May 31st so you never know but on the Dell website the monitros have gone up to £1179. Just ring them up :D

Cheers

Ok. I think I'll wait. I'm just so hyped up for PS3(and the Revolution - still a mystery). I suspect more monitors with support of 1920x1080 resolution will come out on the pc monitor side and TV side. I doubt that PC type monitors will ever support DVI HDCP or HDMI. That's more on the LCD TV side which to me, offer inferior quality compared to PC LCDs. However, the TV side will be always more expensive.

And then there's those SEDs and OLEDs......the future is looking brighter....with wider viewing angles :)

Bah! I will just continue to play PC games in 1200p (1920x1200) lol. And I will buy a BluRay-ROM or HDDVD-ROM Player and watch movies in true 1080p on the same monitor. Screw PS3!!!

(...okay, so I will be a little jealous of PS3 until PC tech catches up heh)

yoshi9784 said:
Ok. I think I'll wait. I'm just so hyped up for PS3(and the Revolution - still a mystery). I suspect more monitors with support of 1920x1080 resolution will come out on the pc monitor side and TV side. I doubt that PC type monitors will ever support DVI HDCP or HDMI. That's more on the LCD TV side which to me, offer inferior quality compared to PC LCDs. However, the TV side will be always more expensive.

And then there's those SEDs and OLEDs......the future is looking brighter....with wider viewing angles :)

1, there is a bunch of info on the revolution that got released a little while ago so poke around gamespot and you can probably find it

2, i wouldnt be supprised at all if LCD displays started having support HDCP in the future especially if enough people complain about it enough which people seem to be doing with the 2405fpw.

Actually not much has been released or confirmed about Nintend Revolution. The only thing that has been confirmed is: backwards compatibility with Game Cube: backwards compatibility with NES, SNES, and N64 through the free downloading service; wifi and online capabilities; wireless controllers and support for the older gamecube controllers, and the 512mb SD memory cards. To me, that's not saying much. Even the the design of the console has been released, they said it would go through changes(smaller and such). The console looks slick right now, though. Specs have not been released and my bet is that they are not even finalized. Theres a year or more between the release so more will be revealed at next E3.

Do you think they'll make DVI or HDMI tuner cards for PC? I really don't want to have to buy a seperate TV just for PS3, I don't watch cable TV and this monitor is perfect size for DVDs. Bah my Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube have been collecting dust for over a year. Maybe I won't even bother with the next gen consoles.

ATIs All in Wonder series and their HDTV card series have problems. I still can't get a decent picture hooking up my Game Cube or PS2 through them. They give a blurry result. Solutions like the Dell 2405fpw monitor probably give better results, but you would think with ATI's processing power on the card, they could deliver the image to the screen in a snap with no distortion.

yoshi9784 said:
ATIs All in Wonder series and their HDTV card series have problems. I still can't get a decent picture hooking up my Game Cube or PS2 through them. They give a blurry result. Solutions like the Dell 2405fpw monitor probably give better results, but you would think with ATI's processing power on the card, they could deliver the image to the screen in a snap with no distortion.

I've always had poor image quality with ATI turner stuff so its not too big a supprise that their hdtv stuff has a problem... Of course usually its been the problem that the ati viewing software makes everything look like crap for some reason... but oh well

Back